Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Concertina  (Read 2254 times)

Doire1993

• New Starter
Concertina
« on: January 09, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »

I have a Stagi 30 button CG anglo concertina. Feel I need to move on to something better. Is there any point in having the Stagi retuned and the bellows tightened of should I move on to something a bit better.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Concertina
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 02:53:57 PM »

You will be better off asking on concertina.net than here.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 03:11:19 PM »

Lester is right in recommending concertina.net. However, many of us melodeonists also play concertina, so we can have some input and opinions on your query.

A Stagi concertina is not the best make and can be marred by poor quality components and workmanship. However, just about any instrument can be made to sound better by having the tuning corrected if it has drifted somewhat over the years. So it might be worth having the reed response optimised and tuning checked and corrected where necessary. Stagis are hybrid concertinas with accordion reeds. That's not necessarily bad - there are some excellent hybrid instruments available. But it will never have that quality of sound produced by true concertina reeds.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'having the bellows tightened'. Is there an air leak which needs repairing?

If you are getting to a reasonable stage of competence in your playing, your Stagi will probably only hold you back from further improvement. You don't say where you are located but the best thing would be to try as many other makes of concertina as you can if at all possible.

Of the hybrids, you might want to consider these makes, for example: Marcus, Morse, Tedrow, A.C.Norman, Wakker 'Clover'.
Traditional-reeded concertinas tend to be very expensive, but it's possible to get a good vintage Lachenal or Jones without necessarily taking out a 2nd mortgage.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »

I owned a 20 button Lachenal for many years, bought for £55 at Whitby festival back in the 70s and never made much progress. In the end I used it as a part ex on a melodeon. Last Whitby I bought a 2nd hand Connor and suddenly found that I could get a tune out of an anglo after all! My old instrument had just held me back. Buy the best one you can afford, your playing will improve much faster.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 03:43:40 PM »

If you can tell us approximately where you are we may be able to suggest people to talk to.  If you are in the Northeast of England you are welcome to have a look at the small selection I have for sale.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »

I imagine you will have some idea of the costs of moving up, but anyway give some thought as to your initial budget. It might change, but it will get you started. And help with the advice.

I would think twice before spending any money on the Stagi. Getting it retuned is unlikely to help your playing much (unless it's really bad). If the bellows have a problem, it might be worth getting them looked at as badly leaking bellows will cause you difficulties. But it's not worth spending a lot.
If you are having problems, the buttons and action are likely to be getting worn also and they are not always easily repaired.

So I'd echo the previous advice to look around and try a few boxes, with a view to moving on.

It wouldn't hurt to join concertina.net, it's not as busy as here but you'd get the same answer.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Eoin

• anglo GC, BC, BCC#
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 07:18:22 PM »

I would add Anthony James at apjmusic.co.uk as the maker of a very good 'hybrid' C/G anglo concertina.  I have been playing one for more than 5 years without any problems and would recommend it as both well made and reasonably priced in its league.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:28:23 AM »

Is the Original Poster still around? Have we answered your questions?

hello....   anyone there....?
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal