Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best box for American Old-Time Fiddle Tunes  (Read 5544 times)

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
Re: Best box for American Old-Time Fiddle Tunes
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 12:12:57 PM »

Many of the tunes are in A major (especially in banjo sessions). I use a one-row in D for that.

I'm looking forward to using a 1 row in A... >:E
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

fallonje

• Good talker
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 05:52:52 PM »

I think a Hohner Merlin in AD would be a great box for Old Time tunes. I just happen to have one for sale. PM me if interested. Joe
Saltarelle Cheviot C#/D/G, Beltuna Melodeon in D

Todd D

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2014, 12:21:46 AM »

Hi Joe,
I have enjoyed the DG Merlin.Are you selling an AD Merlin? If so let me know. Either way thanks for getting me started with a good box and best wishes for the holidays. Todd Dofflemyer

melodeon

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2014, 07:14:44 PM »

A local box player of some skill plays a new Hohner ( Merlin? )  in A/D for Irish and fiddle tunes.
He works at Cripple Creek Music in Ashland, Oregon, USA.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2014, 02:06:32 AM »

As both a fiddler and a box player, I find that my D/G Sandpiper fits well into my local "American" (ie everything from OT to Blues) session for almost any tune played. While I can only play up to contra speed on my fiddle, the box provides a perfectly acceptable "second" based on the chords being played. I use both RH block and arpeggios, as well as the ones thoughtfully provided by The Music Room to give the LH something to keep it out of mischief.  :||: :-* ;D

Oh, and Happy Christmas too!

Chrid=s B.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2015, 01:55:29 PM »

I agree with melodeon, above, where he recommended A/D or A + D one rows.
Haven't been playing old-time fiddle tunes for a while, but I used to have a number of Henry Reed tunes in my repertoire, in A on the D box.

One thing I'll point out, and someone hinted at it above but I'd like to underscore it, is the sound of the box could be just as important as having the "right" keys.  Old time musicians can be a bit skeptical of non-string instruments and so having a great sound is a good start.  For this, I think the sound of a four-voice one row can't be beat. I don't know if anyone does this, but it seems like the +5 Sagné boxes would be just the trick.
... and I've heard some great "old time" concertina, too, but this isn't the place for that! ;)

ceemonster

• Regular debater
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 04:21:25 AM »

"this isn't the place" for concertina, but....I have been playing old-time tunes on an accordion-reeded Morse "Geordie" model Tenor EC with optional upgraded TAM reeds.  I play it on my lap, like an Anglo, tilted like an anglo, and it is fantastic for old-time.  You can switch directions whenever you want, to keep that feeling of lift and movement....
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal