Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Whooaah  (Read 5897 times)

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
Whooaah
« on: January 18, 2014, 03:31:49 PM »

When i am really busy i start forgetting things. At this moment i think one of my coats is still at my parents, another at a bandmates. I start forgetting to bring equipment i need to gigs, or necesray paperwork to rehearsals etc.

Last thursdaynight i came back from teaching my classes, took out my box, went to the trunk of my car and got some other stuff from there and walked home. The next day in the evening i had an appointment, so went to my car, and to my surprise i saw my box standing next to my car.

Apparently i just left it there, for a night, and a day, and everyone left it there, virtually untouched. (the gigbag was open so someone did check inside. they probably didnt like the tuning ;-) )

Faith in humanity somewhat restored!

Now it was raining all day and night, so i haven't tried playing yet, it's just driying up in the middel of my room,...
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Whooaah
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:38:06 PM »

:Ph
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 04:22:07 PM »

Oh! Cooper, you were so lucky , don't even attempt to play it, just leave the bellows open and gently dry it out naturally, suggest at least a week.
I had a similar experience at last years Sidmouth   Festival. Apparently , if you press the open button on your car key fob for more than three seconds all the windows open. There on the back seat was the Bb/Eb Hohner and on the front the Dino Bafetti . It rained and rained all night. Everything  was soaked.
Nothing was ruined because they were in boxes. But most of all nobody knicked anything. The seats were damp for weeks  :-[
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 05:04:39 PM »

I once forgot to lock my car overnight - won't go into why I left four boxes in the boot...  Next morning the tailgate is open, my spanners gone and although the cases were all opened, the boxes were all still there.  I doubt the fence in the local pub would buy you a beer for an instrument he couldn't even name!

Rob.

george garside

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 05:38:32 PM »

way back in 1961 me and a mate were camping on the side of Loch Lomond.  We had both taken suitcases so we could  either camp or  get digs as the fancy took us.  We went out for  aa day  my mate carefully loking his case, mine didn't have a lock.  I foolishly aslo left my immaculate Paolo Soprani box in in the tent.

Needless to say  when we returned his case & my box had gone, the contents of my case were just  thrown around the tent but nothing missing.

I phoned the local police to report the theft of my box ( and possibly mentioned my mates case!)   The sergeant on the other end immediately asked '' two row or three?''  I gave him the make and model and his response was  '' we'll set up road blocks  the nu'' 

the following day I got a phone call from the sergeant asking me to call in to collect my box.    When I picked it up the straps had been adjusted to full length   -- the sergeant was about 6'6'' tall! - my mates case never got a mention!

The story is absolutely true but I can't see it happening today

george

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 06:00:51 PM »

The next day in the evening i had an appointment, so went to my car, and to my surprise i saw my box standing next to the car

You are not alone! My wife discovered £2000 worth of melodeon in the porch (unlocked) which I had put down to open the front door... Am trying very hard not to let it happen gain.
Mike  :D

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 12:48:38 AM »

We left a very expensive trumpet and a very expensive flugelhorn in a single case, in the car park at Exeter Arts Centre. We drove north until somewhere just south of Bristol - loud scream!, U turn at next junction, etc.
It was still there when we got back to Exeter, folks politely driving around it.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Mystery Jig

• Good talker
  • State 'O' Maine
    • Mystery Jig
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 01:51:48 AM »

Had someone break into my old studio. They left all my expensive 78rpm records alone. They opened my banjo case but weren't interested in my 1928 Vega Tubaphone. Suckers.
Beltuna Samuel III A/D/G
Beltuna Sara 3+2 G/C

Ranzo

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 03:49:43 AM »

I think you guys have got the joke mixed up. At the end of the narrative, there are supposed to be extra accordions/banjos in the car.
Hohner 114 in C, G/C Pokerwork, Rochelle concertina, C/F German concertina, Hohner Marine Band

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 04:59:35 AM »

I think you guys have got the joke mixed up. At the end of the narrative, there are supposed to be extra accordions/banjos in the car.

as in this YT video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muWpFcXx2DU
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

Howard Jones

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 09:38:54 AM »

Apparently , if you press the open button on your car key fob for more than three seconds all the windows open.

I discovered this by accident.  My wife got a call from the police to say that my car was parked at the station with all the windows open.  She had to locate the spare fob and drive down there to close them.  I think my fob had become worn and was opening the windows from my pocket!  Fortunately there was nothing in the car.

I also left a case containing two valuable anglos under a cafe table in Sidmouth.  I've never run so fast once I realised it wasn't with me.  All safe (thank goodness).

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 11:19:07 AM »

I once left my Wheatstone concertina (later sold for £2700) in the gents at a festival pub for 1/2 hour

… having probably taken it in there to reduce risk of theft? Then distracted …  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 11:22:34 AM »

All of this gives me much comfort. There are more people around with memories like mine than I ever thought possible.  ;D
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 11:25:50 AM »

… sorry Chris. Who are these people you refer too?  ???
  _       _    _      _ 

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 12:54:27 PM »

At Melodeons and More a few years ago I left my box in it's case at the fish and chip shop. When I got back 15 minutes later it was still there, but then the population of the town and specifically the chippy was mostly box players anyway :P
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 01:20:31 PM »

My one-row box has been abandoned on several different occasions. I think because I was transporting two instruments at the time and forgot.

Once on the number 20 bus. The nice people in the control centre talked to the driver and I waited for it to complete the circuit back to town.

Once on a train, where it changed trains at Northampton and came back to Coventry.

Once after tying a shoe lace outside the Co-op Bank ("hey mate, I think you've left summat on the wall back there").

Not many times, I suppose, over the years :-/

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 01:49:15 PM »

After Nick's post about car fobs, I immediately tried on my car to open the windows, thankfully, it doesn't do it on my car but I do wish there was some way to disable the car fob button. More than once I've got back to my car and found it not locked. I guess as I put the key into my pocket the button gets pressed.

A couple of months ago I arrived at the local pub session, got out of the car and found a Casti case ( complete with expensive Casti) left behind a car in full view. Luckily for the owner, it was in DG, now if it had been in sensible keys, such as BC....  >:E

russell

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 02:10:42 PM »

I do wish there was some way to disable the car fob button. More than once I've got back to my car and found it not locked. I guess as I put the key into my pocket the button gets pressed.

Is there a way of opening up the key and removing the battery?

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 02:51:16 PM »

Sometimes automatic locks 'bounce' where it locks properly then a short while later it bounces open.
This happens quite a lot to my wife's Golf. I'd have thought it more likely to bounce than an infra red beam getting through a pocket.
Try opening it in the dark one night whilst parked on the drive and zapping the key fob whilst in your pocket.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 03:20:34 PM »

I don't think key fobs have worked on infra red for a long time. This one works on some frequency of RF(?) and has a LONG range, even if it's in my pocket. Consequently, I don't leave instruments in the car ( as long as I remember  ::)   ).
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal