Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Same note tripplet sound  (Read 1395 times)

Boyen

• Regular debater
  • C#/D DINNIII
Same note tripplet sound
« on: January 21, 2014, 11:29:53 AM »

As the journey continues I decided I should learn some ornamentation already, when I'm ready for it I can more easily implement it I think.
I was working on the same note tripplet and I was wondering how it should sound, pressing a button three times can be done in more ways than I imagined and even using the same procedure different sounds can be produced. Can anyone give a clear example or listen to my recording and comment on how it sounds?
Played here is the start of Drunken Landlady:
X: 1
T: The Drunken Landlady
R: reel
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
K: Edor
BE~E2 BAFA|BE~E2 BAFA|ABAF D2FD|FA~A2 BAFA|

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Same note tripplet sound
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:56:52 AM »

It sounds rather unconvincing at present (:)  I think it needs to be snappier. Just how much snappier is a matter of personal taste - the spectrum of possibilities runs from Jackie Daly style, where you can clearly hear each component of the device (he was really the first player in the Irish tradition to start doing them) through to Sharon Shannon & cie., whose "trebles" (that's fiddle terminology) are condensed into something like a blip - or a raspberry.

I thought you were going to treble on the E and was surprised you chose the A.

There are different ways of doing it, using either two or three fingers in various orders. The question came up nearly five years ago on here and in response to a similar request I opened a YT account and made a clip showing two ways I use to do trebles - using that same tune as an example as it happens.

I think they're a useful addition to the box of tricks but don't make them your only ornament will you. A little goes a long way. Lots of box players won't go near them.

Boyen

• Regular debater
  • C#/D DINNIII
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 12:19:16 PM »

Ha, I guess the Drunken Landlady is one of those well known tunes where the place to put ornamentation is rather obvious. Another one I practice it on is the Silver Spear.
That video is really useful thanks a lot Steve.
I actually did do trebles on the E and A, three times, but that you don't hear them speaks volumes (first one is badly executed, second a little better). The individual notes needs to pronounced better then right? That's what you mean with snappier? I should look up some Jackie Daly, merci!

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 12:36:31 PM »

I'd say that the middle note is getting lost on your first 2 triplets in the tune at the moment as the pallet is barely opening and the bellows pressure is fairly low (I'm guessing that's with 3 fingers?).

Two fingers (normally 2-1-2 but can be 1-2-1 depending on which direction the tune goes afterwards) tends to be more controllable because it's effectively just the same a playing 3 short notes on different keys but condensing it on to one button.  This technique is easier to get the timing right once you've mastered it than the 3 finger version - but it is also harder as it requires far more muscle control to play accurately and staccato (finger 1 down - finger 1 up - finger 2 down - finger 2 up - finger 1 down - finger 1 up)

Three fingers is generally easier because it is basically one action where you space fingers 1, 2 and 3 out and roll them on to the same button - a bit like drumming your fingers on a desk.  It's easier (but also less controlled) because the action of putting your finger down on the button is also the same action that takes it off the button again.  On an outside row - you can let the fingers clip the edge of the button then off the edge of the keyboard in to your palm in quick succession and on an inside row you just graze the top of the button and let the tips of your fingers go up in to the arch of your hand, making sure you avoid any buttons on the outside row as you come off.  However - for this way to be successful, you need to get the feel of how far your fingers need to go in to the button to get the note to sound enough but still be distinct.

One other piece of advice is that triplets always come off better if you have the bellows loaded with a force (push or pull) so that the reeds speak as quickly as possible when the button is pressed and the pallet opens.

I hope that helps ... it's not easy to describe!
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Boyen

• Regular debater
  • C#/D DINNIII
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 01:05:17 PM »

That last part helps a lot actually, I just looked at my mp3 and I see the volume dropping when I do the tripplet, so I need to get those bellows under control and touch the button for just the right amount as well huh, well.. nobody said it was easy  :||: (:)

I'm doing the 3 finger version yes 1-3-2-1 or 2-3-2-1. I've tried to do the two finger version but it sounds awefully stacatto so I guess I'll work on that when I got the three finger version under control.

mory

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 01:21:29 PM »

Nice examples here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5bCOIQd2nk AtB mory
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal