Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sessions......do they all erase your talent? :)  (Read 4638 times)

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
Re: Sessions......do they all erase your talent? :)
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2014, 04:07:08 PM »

I find I get distracted and end up listening to what other people are playing rather than playing it myself, though I suspect that will change as I get more experienced and know the tunes better.
Ha ha! And the really good players arrive back at the situation where they're listening to what other people are playing!

Jules0654

• Regular debater
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2014, 05:14:39 PM »

As a new player (under two years) I have found that I can even fluff Speed the Plough when at a session - but it depends on who I'm with!

Some sessions I find totally intimidating and almost unwelcome (these are in the minority I would add), whilst those with my friends I relax more and therefore don't go wrong so much.

I was very grateful recently when a very talented box player at a session turned to me and asked me to start a tune - I replied that we had already played all the tunes I could play well. He offered "Well then, let's do something you can't play well and we'll see how it goes" And he was lovely! Keeping the tune going at a steady pace when I went wrong so that I could pick it up again, and not at all condescending, I wish there were more like him!
Pokerwork x 2, Erica, Liliput, Saltarelle Berry, Corona, Serenellini Dona, Hohner C/F and "something german".....becoming MAD?

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2014, 05:23:24 PM »

As a new player (under two years) I have found that I can even fluff Speed the Plough when at a session - but it depends on who I'm with!

Some sessions I find totally intimidating and almost unwelcome (these are in the minority I would add), whilst those with my friends I relax more and therefore don't go wrong so much.

I was very grateful recently when a very talented box player at a session turned to me and asked me to start a tune - I replied that we had already played all the tunes I could play well. He offered "Well then, let's do something you can't play well and we'll see how it goes" And he was lovely! Keeping the tune going at a steady pace when I went wrong so that I could pick it up again, and not at all condescending, I wish there were more like him!

Jules, your'e not alone on this one. There are loads of bods like the above. It's just a case of finding them. Come and play with me sometime, I can  bluff  my way through anything just ask one or two of gang here.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

quazza

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 08:55:54 PM »

Jules, your'e not alone on this one. There are loads of bods like the above. It's just a case of finding them. Come and play with me sometime, I can  bluff  my way through anything just ask one or two of gang here.

Jules, we've all been there. And Helena, I was AT a session in Towersey last year when you led some tunes and it sounded fab. There's a lovely quote from Martin Carthy  (via Saul Rose I think). "The melodeon....It's a very PUBLIC instrument when you go wrong, isn't it?" My first (and still main) session was at The Hood in Greenwich. i went about four times before I got the courage to get the box out of the case. All I could play, and not very well, was Princess Royal & a couple of other morris standards. Eventually, the late and much lamented Dougie Adams made me start them. "Go on then" he said. Chaos and disaster followed. Next week I did it again. It was worse. But in the end, it wasn't. I think if you're going to go to a session, leading tunes is the best way there is to get better, however much of a car crash it is to start with. In fact now I don't count a tune as "learnt" unless I can lead it in a session and not cock it up. As for friends, come to The Hood if you're ever in London on a Tuesday, we'd love to see you.

MatlockBather

• Regular debater
  • B/C and proud
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 10:58:45 PM »

Well, I went to our local pub session last Sunday night. I had been led to believe it was a small gathering in the corner of the bar...
I walk in to find mics, lights and a mixing desk! Turns out it is open mic night. Couple of folks I know said hello and that was that, my name was on the list and after several guitar and singer turns, including a T-Rex cover (folk night it wasn't) I was up. The mic was duly positioned and I launched into Bear Dance. Went OK until a keyboard player decided to join in with some chords - that threw me but I started again and by the end I had people clapping/thumping on the tables and then a good round of applause  :Ph. It was then that I realized that there was about 40 people in the bar - that constitutes and audience in my book! Next turn I did Salmon tails and as usual got lost with the A+B parts but I doubt anybody there knew the tune so no harm done. What an experience though and a couple of people there have asked if I want to do some tunes with them on another night.

The weather has been so bad I am loosing my mountain biking mojo but I might just have found something to give me my adrenaline shot  8)

Si

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2014, 11:02:24 PM »

Nice one !
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal