Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fabricating a Metal grill  (Read 2244 times)

boxlad

• Respected Sage
    • Ray Ó Díomasaigh
fabricating a Metal grill
« on: February 22, 2009, 03:21:37 PM »

Any idea where I might get a light sheet of metal to fabricate a metal grill for my accordion? I want to make something like the old grey Paolos used to have as they seem to resonate the sound nicely, also what would be the best type of metal to use?
Thanks folks.

Lars

Re: fabricating a Metal grill
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 04:21:22 PM »

The most poular choise for metal non-celluid-covered grills are either aluminium or brass (plain or plated). The old paolos use aluminium grilles.

I've found both alu and brass sheets in various gauges and qualities from arts/crafts stores that carries model-ship-supplies. A search on google will direct you toward several online-based stores of that sort.

Just keep two things in mind - the underside should be a little scruffy to avoid the sound bouncing off it and creating sound-tubulens, and that you will not have a much different sound from a plain alugrille than that off a celluid-covered grille. I once met a guy who made an old-school alu grill for his red paolo, and it did not sound any different - it just looked different. Even a grey paolo will not sound much different with a plastic covered grille... All a matter of taste.

finnhorse

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 04:44:56 PM »

How were you planning on cutting and shaping the aluminum?  I'd think that a machine shop with a water jet might do that for you, might even have the material on-hand.. although it'd cost a bit more and you'd have a to find a place that would be willing to sit down and talk about the pattern.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 06:42:28 PM »

For a one-off you can cut it out by hand with a fretsaw.  Aluminium is soft, and easy to cut, brass is usually a bit harder.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

nousuvesi

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 01:05:26 AM »

Any sheet metal store should have either brass or aluminium. The problem I have found with buying metal is that most places want to sell you way more than you will need, much like buying plywood in that they expect you to buy the whole sheet when you only want a couple square feet or so. My advice would be to call an industrial metal shop and ask for any extras or off cuts they could part with on the cheap. I might have some 1/16" (or thereabouts) brass floating around my shop I could part with. If you're on the west coast of the States I might be able to ship it to you, but if it is overseas shipping then I would assume it would be cheaper just to find some wherever you reside. Some folks find brass a bit ugly as it will turn green, and turn your finger tips green so if you go with brass you might want to have it chrome plated. Chrome has its own drawbacks as well, mainly it scratches easy and will blind your audience should light hit it.
Nathan S.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:03:15 AM »

If you are in the UK then its worth trying your local Metal Supermarket.  They carry a range of thicknesses will cut to your size. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

boxlad

• Respected Sage
    • Ray Ó Díomasaigh
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 07:31:37 PM »

Thanks again guys, as always a grat help and source of information  ;)

Ga

• Good talker
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 07:35:35 PM »

If you are in the UK, B&Q sell sheet metal, especially aluminium.  Generally 5-30 quid, dependant on teh material you're after, for a chunk around A3 paper-sized.   It's in the hardware section, near the angle iron, steel tube, brass rod, steel and aluminium extrusions bit.   They have various punched out patterns, none of which are attractive, all quite industrial, but the plain ally sheet can be polsihed up to a nice sheen and lacquered, if that's what you want - if nothing else it may be worth trying as a disposable practice piece before you lay out decent beer money on thicker or more attractive material.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal