Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow and Steady music available.  (Read 4479 times)

george garside

Re: Slow and Steady music available.
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 10:05:54 PM »

the stuff you can do  with the left hand on a BC box is extremely limited  so I wouldn't worry unduly in that respect  . Better to concentrate on playing the melody rhythmicaly  in the same way as a fiddler would.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Jude

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 03:49:54 PM »

So, I shouldn't compare lefthand accompaniment to that of a regular accordion, where is a constant chord or note being played?
I am playing the Beer Barrel Polka on my Irish melodeon,but am having a terrible time figuring OU which buttons to accompany throughout the entire song. Should I be happy with the righthand and only play the melody and forget the left?
Liz

Jude

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 01:45:59 AM »

BTW Brian, Thanks so much for sharing the books. I printed them and will certainly take advantage of them.
Thanks again, Liz
Liz

Rob Phillips

• Good talker
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 03:23:22 PM »

As part of the Chorley (UK, North West) Slow and Steady session that happens every 1st Saturday in the month we have now produced a couple of "tune books" for use by the attendees.  These have been produced by a group of us who run the sessions in our spare (?) time.

We have decided to license them in a free and open way, which means they can be downloaded from the website and used for whatever purpose you might wish. We'd like to know however.... (:)

We have something very similar a few miles down the road in South Manchester. Every second and fourth Wednesday evenings of the month are "tunes" nights at The Beech Inn in Chorlton. (The first and third Wednesdays are for songs). The tunes nights began just five years ago as "beginners sessions" with tune books on the tables for those who wanted them, though it has progressed well beyond that. People who consider themselves beginners are very, very welcome, of course. Yes, I know playing folk music from the dots is very much frowned on in some quarters, but it certainly gave confidence to those who could read music but were still learning to play by ear. Our tune book has gone through several editions, getting bigger each time. It's on the website www.folkatthebeech.org as pdf, abc and midi. Also, as much as possible, the site shows clips on YouTube of people playing the tunes we use. You're very welcome to use what you find in the book. Oh, I have to say that I deny all responsibility for the chording in the book: my copy has lots of scribbled changes to the chords to make everything melodeon-friendly.

If you're in South Manchester on a Wednesday evening we'd love to see you. Apart from the tunes and songs, at various other times the Folk At The Beech "brand" also has a ceilidh band, north-west clog lessons, excursions on folk trains, and route marches across the River Mersey for sessions in another pub.

DaveW

• Regular debater
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 04:41:10 PM »

Over 80 downloads!   (:)
Hope you all find them useful.  :||:  :|||:
Add another one (:), thank you Brian and friends in Chorley. These to be played in East Kent :||: :|glug
DaveW
DaveW

Paolo Soprani b/c/c#, V Soprani b/c, Hohner Compadre adg, Roland FR-18, Hohner Merlin d/g

Rob Phillips

• Good talker
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 01:52:39 PM »

Lest there be any confusion, Brian's sessions are in Chorley (a proper Lancashire market town), whilst The Beech Inn sessions are in Chorlton (a suburb of Manchester now colonised by Media City types). "Folk At The Beech" is the brainchild of Les Jones, active on the north-west folk scene for many years (with his voice and banjo)   ---   some of you might know him.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal