Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Pokerwork  (Read 1797 times)

mad melodeon man

• New Starter
Old Pokerwork
« on: February 22, 2009, 06:51:55 PM »

I play a really old poker work but its action is getting too slow for me, its a beautiful box (if not a little tatty) and still sounds on top form however I'm looking for something a little faster and clearer but my funds are limited. Does anyone recommend a box which will do??

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
Re: Old Pokerwork
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 07:38:43 PM »

Have you considered getting it 'tuned up' by Theo?
Limited investment and fast boxes tend not to go together.
Fast action boxes cost real money, and most have gone up by 30-50% in the past 12 months.

Whereas investing in your pokerwork would definitely improve its feel and sound.
Or look for a quality second-hand box and get it serviced and tuned.

Andy
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

finnhorse

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 08:59:50 PM »

How limited are the limited funds?  Because while new and used prices of many dealers are rather prohibitive (at least for me) there have been some sick deals going down on Ebay lately.  Everyone's hurting from the crunch, with lots of guys selling their second and third string boxes for nickels.  If you're willing to trade the Pokerwork along with the sale, you might find a deal at a shop.  Provided you don't jump at the first one, you might find a really nice box for half the sticker or less.  Case in point, a grey Boxeen 3-voice just went on Ebay for $800.  That's the price of a new Chinese Hohner 2 voice.  A few weeks ago a Paolo Soprani 3-voice 12 bass model sold without reserve for just over $600.  Plenty of other examples floating around.  Even figuring in any work it might need that's a good deal.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 07:51:46 PM »

I'd agree with Andy - have a word with Theo or someone similar and consider getting it spruced up by a pro'. It'll cost you less than getting a newer-better box. It'll also be an investment as good condition Pokerworks (German as opposed to Chinese) seem to be fetching quite good money these days!

The price of new boxes are ludicrous at the moment which is probably why decent quality second-hand are holding their own so well. Hope this helps?

AL
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal