Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cajun or Regular Accordion?  (Read 7436 times)

triskel

Re: Cajun or Regular Accordion?
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 11:01:53 PM »

That picture of Nathan Abshire holding a two-row was, if I remember correctly, taken by Yann Dour when he paid him a visit. He is holding Yann Dour's accordion. I don't think he played the two-row otherwise.

If so, you may be the only person looking at forums like this who knows that, because I've seen/heard it discussed before in connection with the Creole influence on Nathan's playing - in fact he is the one credited with incorporating the blues of Creole tradition into Cajun music.

Only I doubt if the photo was taken by Yann Dour because it turns out that he's actually in the full picture, along with Nathan:

So could it all be Yann's fault?  ???

I guess I'd have been safer mentioning Edwin Duhon of the Hackberry Ramblers then, because he used to play a 2-voice Hohner with them at one stage. This photo is from their 1965 album cover:

And I've seen old photos of Creole players with 2-row boxes, though you'd more likely see a 3-row these days.

Edited to add - But here's a modern-day Creole player with a 2-row Hohner, Cedric Watson;

and Renee de la Prade plays both Irish and Cajun music on a 2-row "Irish" box: http://whiskeyandwomenmusic.com/#/listen-watch/4558262005

So Jude, there are precedents for playing Cajun/Creole music on a button box that isn't a "Cajun accordion" as such.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »

Can I play Cajun music on a regular small,accordion?

Cedric Watson is the real thing. Here he is with his regular instrument, a G/C Erica: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTEvttxS_A8
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

triskel

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 11:14:40 PM »

The main difference will be the bass layout. For BC, I found the Joe Burke setup to be the most useful. Some like the McComisky layout.

But, amongst players in Ireland, the "standard" Paolo Soprani system is still the most popular.

Jude

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 05:01:20 AM »

Theo.
A quick question,
Where is the Teachers page you refer to? I click on teaching and learning and don't see a list of teachers. What am I missing?

Liz
Liz

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 05:08:53 AM »

Theo.
A quick question,
Where is the Teachers page you refer to? I click on teaching and learning and don't see a list of teachers. What am I missing?

Liz

Morning Liz,
 Go onto the forum home page and you'll find it under links   :D
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 09:04:57 AM »

Theo.
A quick question,

Liz
Here in fact...
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/page,teachers.html
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Jude

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 04:01:04 PM »

A,question..
So my new Rochelle is also called an "Irish Button Box"
I'm trying to find,some info about my new Rochelle, since I didn't get a book with it. AND I am also trying to find lessons on YouTube.
What I don't know,are the different names for my new Rochelle. What are the "terms" used to describe mine?
Thanks so much!
Liz

triskel

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 04:31:22 PM »

So my new Rochelle is also called an "Irish Button Box" ...
What I don't know,are the different names for my new Rochelle. What are the "terms" used to describe mine?

No, your Rochelle is a "30-key Anglo concertina" and it's a different instrument again, though the "straight row" fingering is the same as on a button accordion/box - but the "across the rows" fingering is different.

There are various tutor books available, though the most suitable one might depend on the style of music you want to play.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 04:36:55 PM »

A,question..
So my new Rochelle is also called an "Irish Button Box"
I'm trying to find,some info about my new Rochelle, since I didn't get a book with it. AND I am also trying to find lessons on YouTube.
Thanks so much!

I'm very confused now.
Earlier in this thread you said that you'd bought a Rochelle concertina:

Hi Malcolm...and all.. ;),
Well, I did it!today I bought a Weltmeister 511  2 row button box B/C.It has 21 buttons on the left,side and 9 on the right. PLUS.....I bought a Rochelle concertina...30 button!
The button box plays great. (Not that I know what I'm doing yet) but just picking at it today it,sounds wonderful.the Concertina makes the  hohner concertina(I payed 149.00 for) sound cheap.

Also you wrote:
Sorry to bother you again..
I realize my questions must sound ridiculous to most of you but I need more help
As I've already told you, I bought a,Rochelle Button Box Saturday. Ok, now I'm determined to learn to play. I found a video online on YouTube,from the Irish Academy of Music(free) with teacher,Darryl Hickey.Daryl's Button Box is like mine,a B/C,21 button, 2 row. I place MY finger on the button he is playing , and a different note is played. A, "D" instead of the "c" he is playing on his. I have to put my finger on the 3rd button on my button box in order to play a "C"so,he is putting his fingers on different notes  on his box than I am putting my fingers in order to play the scale. ...and yet, his box is  B/C. 21,2 row.Obviously this is throwing me off, since I am trying to learn from him. How can his button box be different from mine when it has the sale amount of buttons and is a,B/C.
Anyone help me please?

A Rochelle is indeed an entry-level anglo concertina. It is not the same as a button box, melodeon or button accordion - I don't know of any of these which has the same name 'Rochelle'.

Just to be sure, the Rochelle concertina is hexagonal in shape with 15 buttons on each end, plus an air button on the RH end. It is not the same as a B/C melodeon or button accordion and I don't see how you can be attempting to do the same things on your Rochelle as Mr Hickey is doing in his video.  ???

Do you mean your Weltmeister BC box instead??

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Jude

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 05:57:25 PM »

Sorry, I got confused :(
You are absolutely right. The button box,is what I meant and it is a
Weltmeister.I'm sorry :-\
That is what I was,referring to,when I asked my question.
I am learning(or attempting to learn) both the new rochelle AND the Weltmeister.
I,DO ask the question though...is my Weltmeister considered a button box ,melodeon or accordion?
Liz

Boyen

• Regular debater
  • C#/D DINNIII
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2014, 06:17:58 PM »

All of the above and not.
Wikipedia has a good entry on all the names of the little box:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatonic_button_accordion#International_terms

The answer is.. it depends on where you live, or whom you talk to. Makes it difficult to search for information that's for sure.

triskel

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2014, 06:22:14 PM »

I,DO ask the question though...is my Weltmeister considered a button box ,melodeon or accordion?

The (very) simple answer would be YES, because those names can all be synonymous, depending on the place and context.

"Accordion" is a more general name that covers the whole family of instruments, and a "button accordion" is a particular type of accordion with buttons instead of piano keys.

"Button box" (or simply "box") is slang for a button accordion.

"Melodeon" is a British Isles name that was originally used to describe the German accordion (what Cajuns now call a "Cajun accordion") and that is still what it means in Ireland, but in England it has come to mean all push-pull button accordions.

So some of us may use the same words to mean different things, and sometimes context is all-important.

You're probably even more confused now!  ???
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal