Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Error 400 - a bit suspicious-looking  (Read 9939 times)

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
Error 400 - a bit suspicious-looking
« on: January 29, 2014, 06:09:16 PM »

I haven't been able to get on from a PC for ages - when logging in I get "We're sorry, but we could not fulfil your request for [long complicated URL] on this server.

An invalid request was received. This may be caused by a malfunctioning proxy server. Bypass the proxy server and connect directly, or contact your proxy server administrator.

Your technical support key is: c2b0-6993-41fe-ed15

You can use this key to fix this problem yourself.

If you are unable to fix this problem yourself, please contact the WEBMA5TER and be sure to provide the technical support key shown above. "

I took one look at "WEBMA5TER" with that 5 in it and thought it looked suspicious so I'm not clicking on that or the "fix this problem yourself" which is also a link.

What is going on here? I can connect fine on my phone, and the PC I'm using is my work one and therefore very hot on virus checking etc. Havent had this error page from anything else.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
Re: Error 400 - a bit suspicious-looking
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 06:59:45 PM »

I think it's time to take it in for a good cleanout, don't click that link!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 07:10:57 PM »

It's not my PC, and I know it has super-paranoid settings. Which may in fact be the problem.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

deltasalmon

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 07:16:42 PM »

even under super-paranoid settings you shouldn't have to contact a WEBMA5TER
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 07:19:23 PM »

It's not my PC, and I know it has super-paranoid settings. Which may in fact be the problem.

I just googled the error message and the hits I got suggest a problem with an anti-spam plug in on SMF. 
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »

It does indeed come from the anti spam software that's part of SMF; your IP address is probably banned, not because of what you've done, but because other people who share the same address as you have been naughty in the past and got themselves on a blacklist. If you can let me know the ipaddress of your PC (go to www.myipaddress.com) I'll have a look in the tables and try and unblock it. It may not be a blacklist under our control, but we can but try.

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 03:43:42 PM »

Ah. Well my current IP address is the NHS. Which is huge.

It is 194.176.105.147. Apparently I'm just north of Skipton. I'm not.

The NHS has 1.3 million staff. We send a lot of emails. They are not spam. :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:47:44 PM by Strigulino »
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 03:51:42 PM »

Apparently I'm just north of Skipton. I'm not.

That's the location of your point of presence on N3.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 04:10:03 PM »

Is that the IP that's blocked?

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 04:25:04 PM »

I imagine so. It's the IP that's where I am when that error comes up.

Like Helena says, it's an in-house network. With super-paranoid settings. I imagine that the NHS produces so much mail that a computer set to assume that high volume equals spam would block it?

I can always use my phone, but a PC is so much faster to type on.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 04:28:13 PM by Strigulino »
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

KLR

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 04:33:36 PM »

I had that problem, but only a time or two, couple weeks ago.  My laptop is only semi-paranoid. 

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 06:12:45 PM »

If you're getting complaints about a malfunctioning proxy server when connecting from the NHS network, it's extremely likely (because the NHS is a big network) that it does have a proxy server or several and there's a reasonable chance that something might be wrong with it, either breakage or misconfiguration.

Perhaps a word with NHS IT department...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 06:53:57 PM »

Well yes, but then I'd have to explain what the only website I was trying to look at was about. I only try at lunchtime but as my lunch hour is at 3pm I'm worried they'll think I'm skiving.

It's not a big deal. I was hoping it was something at the Melnet end that could be tweaked.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 07:41:42 PM »

Perhaps a word with NHS IT department...

[rant]
… story of my life, and a complete waste of time. eg they foisted an unworkable PACS (image system, mainly Xrays) on us in 2006, and we couldn't do anything about it. But a word in the ear of the chairman of parliamentary accounts committee … well, shall I say the contract was cancelled a month later [all Public Domain, an Audit Commission report was published one wet Wednesday in about 2006].   Most NHS IT is awful: "Connecting for Health"was cancelled last year, about £11billion written off. Many other examples in Public domain. I won't go on.
[/rant]

My IT supplier is great; and plays melodeon ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 08:35:19 PM »

My IT supplier is great; and plays melodeon ;)

And has just sent you an email  (:)

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 01:11:59 AM »

I live behind a corporate firewall at work.

If I have logged in to the site on the work laptop whilst I am home I do not have any errors at work.

If I clear my temp internet files and I go to work and try to log in it gives me the 400 error (I am behind a proxy and the IP that the world sees is 161.51.0.49)

Stephen
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 11:03:29 AM »

That might explain it. We have Win 7 and I think it's set to clear cookies every session now.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 05:10:47 PM »

It does seem to be something to do with IE7 or maybe the connection, as I've just got so frustrated with being able to read but not post I tried a virtual online browser to see if pretending to be Firefox would help and here I am.  Using a virtual browser is horribly laggy though.  If I could just log in once it could stay logged in... oh well.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »

It does it with my Nexus tablet too. Strange at it's running (an Android version version of) Google Chrome and I don't have any trouble with several desktop installations of Chrome or SRware Iron, all of which are basically the same browser.

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 09:10:36 PM »

It does indeed come from the anti spam software that's part of SMF; your IP address is probably banned, not because of what you've done, but because other people who share the same address as you have been naughty in the past and got themselves on a blacklist. If you can let me know the ipaddress of your PC (go to www.myipaddress.com) I'll have a look in the tables and try and unblock it. It may not be a blacklist under our control, but we can but try.

If that is true, then the smart arse who thought of it and those who implemented it ought to be taken out and (figuratively) shot.

An "anti-spam" programme has no business sending out a HTTP 400 error when refusing access to resources.

It's things like this that continually degrade the Internet as a useful system, and add useless hours to the workload of people who work on it.

Given correctly, an HTTP 400 error response is saying that the server did not understand the request. That it was malformed in some way. The vast, vast majority of the time this means an issue with the client software (ie. in this case the web browser on your machine). This could be caused by a bug, some "extension" or even (in the case of operating systems notorious for these things) malware interfering with the way that the browser is working.

Basically, if just about everyone else is happily using the server, and you get a 400 error, then it's your problem ... unless some smart alec has decided to break with the IETF standards and send out misleading error codes   >:( >:( >:( >:(
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal