Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trying figure out brand of my melodeon  (Read 3648 times)

craigziom

• New Starter
trying figure out brand of my melodeon
« on: February 03, 2014, 03:21:39 AM »

hi
i have problem with find out brand of my melodeon
i am afraid it is kind of replica or no name item, if somebody who knows more about it and can help me i will be thankful
on the top of instrument you can see name "vienna concert"

my second question is
on third picture you can see piece of metal (pin) i  wonder if this should go to the inside of wood frame and shouldn't stick out

Wulfrun

Re: trying figure out brand of my melodeon
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 08:04:27 AM »

I can't help with the model sorry; but whatever happens don't pull the pin out! It's holding the mechanism together, see this discussion for further info: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,12312.0.html

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:28:55 AM »

Looks rather good for a "no name". What's it play like?  :||:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

craigziom

• New Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 01:13:05 PM »

Wulfrun  thx for info,

Ebor_fiddler, yes probably it is no name, when i did some research front grill and whole melo looks like hohner vienna but it is missing name hohner ;) ,well it is my loss this time. Melodeon doesn't play well, that is why i tried find brand of it to see if is worth to fix. thx

triskel

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 07:20:44 PM »

I'm trying to remember who used those bellows-frame corner plates, probably one of the Kilingenthal makers...  ???

There are some very similar ones in these 1915 G. W. Huntley Company catalogue pages:

craigziom

• New Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 03:59:58 AM »

thx triskel for pointer
i will start look for accordions maker at Kilingenthal , maybe i will find some more info.
and if i will find time at weekend i will open my accordion to check what is wrong inside the box, hopefully accordion will survive this ;)

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 06:44:36 AM »

I'm trying to remember who used those bellows-frame corner plates, probably one of the Kilingenthal makers...  ???

There are some very similar ones in these 1915 G. W. Huntley Company catalogue pages:

I always look at those corner plates, too - especially the shape and size because sometimes it's a dead giveaway. But this shape is impossible to source. I understand that there were a lot of accordions sold under a particular name (like Bruno or Beaver) which were made by someone else but sold by the retailer. Nonetheless this particular shape is problematic because it appears so often. Note that below are variations of the same basic shape, some longer, some shorter. How and why that came to be so popular is unknown. The star in the center of the OP's accordion corner plate is similar to the one that Hohner used on the stop knobs of some German style accordions. We'd have to see some specific photos of the innards and compare it to a known exmaple to get ay closer. That plate, though... boggles my mind. Either everyone and their dog stamped out the same thing. Or maybe these companies bought their parts from a common source, like the furniture makers who buy their cabinet handles and pulls from Lee Valley.

"Beaver"

Adolphus

International

"Milano"

A.S. Koch

Kalbe (other Kalbes bear a strikingly different corner shape that was more nautical and looked like a rivet on a long shank)

Ludwig (also used a variety of corner pieces)

"Antoria"

Friedrich Gessner, a model which was sold by Hohner after they bought his company

Lester (a prize!)

Gündel's Excelsior

Another Excelsior

and so on....

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 08:57:19 AM »

Either everyone and their dog stamped out the same thing. Or maybe these companies bought their parts from a common source, like the furniture makers who buy their cabinet handles and pulls from Lee Valley.

I've always guessed that was quite likely, it is certainly the case in the modern accordion industry in Italy.  All the little bits of hardware and mechanism parts are available as generic parts, as are bellows, reeds, reed blocks, straps etc all of which are available through firms like Carini and or direct from the various makers.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

triskel

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »

... maybe these companies bought their parts from a common source, like the furniture makers who buy their cabinet handles and pulls from Lee Valley.

;D I've seen instances of London concertina makers using cast metal drawer pulls for the rails/handles on Anglo concertinas, and Geoff Crabb has confirmed that that's what they were meant for, because they had an old box of them in the workshop...

kozulich

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 10:47:31 PM »

Old post, I know, burr what is the source of these catalog pages? A friend of mine is doing a digital thesis and would like to reference this catalog.

Thanks!

triskel

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 05:32:00 AM »

Old post, I know, burr what is the source of these catalog pages? A friend of mine is doing a digital thesis and would like to reference this catalog.

They were loose pages from a G. W. Huntley Company of Chicago catalogue from 1915, which were sold on eBay. There's a complete 1921 "Furniture and House Furnishing Catalog" of theirs online here: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=loc.ark:/13960/t1xd1nw3x;view=1up;seq=4
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal