Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable PA suggestions  (Read 1796 times)

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
Portable PA suggestions
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:21:17 AM »

We are looking at possible small portable i.e. battery-powered PA setups for occasional morris (and other) use, particularly for occasions when our music is one fiddle and for some larger noisier locations and community events.

This kit has been suggested - http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_mba75w_mkii.htm which includes 3 inputs plus a radio mike.
We've also looked at Roland Cube range, but they are really portable guitar amps.

Any thoughts on the Thomann kit and any alternative suggestions?

Cheers, Andy

BTW : this is a community-funded project, so debate about whether PA and morris should be used in the same sentence is unnecessary  (:)

Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

JJRobson

• Scarlatti D/G
    • Threepenny bit
Re: Portable PA suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 11:46:20 AM »

I'm a busker and when we first started we used a Yamaha Stagepass 500 for playing outside.
http://www.woodbrass.com/en/sono-risation-portable-yamaha-stagepas-500-2-x-250w-p26326-af833-gbp.html?gclid=CKb8spr_w7wCFYWWtAodWSUAXg

It even came in its own wheely case so we could drag it around easily.
 http://www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-sc-stagepas-500/31433?gclid=CI2snfL-w7wCFQkFwwodmA8A9g

It sounds great for the price and I believe they make a 250W version as well if you don't need something quite as big. It wasn't battery powered though I'm afraid so we use a leisure battery from Halfords with an inverter which costs about £100 total.

I've not used the Thomann Kit so can't offer any opinion on it. Does it have a hole on the underside for a speaker stand to go? You MUST elevate the speaker if you want it to be heard properly when there is a crowd about.
I don't play box with this lot... yet www.threepennybit.com

ACE

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 11:49:28 AM »

I have been using an Ion blockrocker. It has a  rechargeable battery, or use it plugged in. Pull up handle and wheels to trundle it about. There is a mike input and an instrument input. No fancy distortion or reverb just a straight no nonsense amplifier. Got it cheap from Maplins when they have their flash sales days selling B class stuff which is basically poor packaging, ex demonstration stuff. There is an ipod dock, but even that is handy at barbies etc.

I use to play the Roland through it and it handled the low notes without buzzing.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C

ButtonBox21

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 01:09:12 PM »

When I Busked in Santa Monica a few years ago, I used a Crate TX15 portable amp with a built in rechargeable battery. The battery would last for about 5-6 hr and I would recharge it at night. The little amp is rated 15 watts and kicks out 105 db at half volume. That is quite sufficient for out door playing without annoying people nearby. You can get them at most guitar dealers or go to their website: http://www.crateamps.com
Keep on Squeezin'

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 06:39:23 PM »

The guitar teacher at the school where I work is well up on this sort of thing, I'll ask questions tomorrow and get back to you! A couple of pertinent questions first though. Are any of the instruments to be used already fitted with pickups and if so are they active?
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 01:31:47 PM »

If it's for morris please be aware.
We organised the Joint Morris Day of Dance last year in Exeter. We were strongly advised by the Fed that we should not allow amplified music as it falls in a grey area and might invalidate the insurers should any incident occur( Ring/Fed/Open have a policy for all organisations)
I cannot remember the exact reason, and at work can't 'dial a friend' to confirm, but there are reasons!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 09:32:07 PM »

The guitar teacher at the school where I work is well up on this sort of thing, I'll ask questions tomorrow and get back to you! A couple of pertinent questions first though. Are any of the instruments to be used already fitted with pickups and if so are they active?
Sorry missed this. Nothing fitted with pickups, just likely to be mike inputs on instruments such as fiddles.

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »

If it's for morris please be aware.
We organised the Joint Morris Day of Dance last year in Exeter. We were strongly advised by the Fed that we should not allow amplified music as it falls in a grey area and might invalidate the insurers should any incident occur( Ring/Fed/Open have a policy for all organisations)
I cannot remember the exact reason, and at work can't 'dial a friend' to confirm, but there are reasons!
Q
The last time I looked at the Ring/JMO insurance guidelines/FAQ, there was no mention of anything in this area, and PAs pop up very regularly at ring meetings. The main JMO insurance is for public liability and not sure how use of PA affects this.

I suspect the Fed organisers got a bit confused with the now repealed crass legislation about whether folk performances such as Morris needed to be licensed - Morris performance escaped if its music was not amplified.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 10:02:47 PM »

I think it's somehow linked to performing in a public area....... But indeed the legislation has changed so it might not be an issue any more. If you've had a dig around, then fair enough. Just wanted to give you a heads up.
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal