Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner Student 1 Conversions  (Read 8694 times)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Hohner Student 1 Conversions
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 04:09:48 PM »

Hohner Student I has 22 notes. Any reason why you didn't make use of the extra note ?
Inventor.

Because I'm not clever enough to extend the treble mechs I had laying around which are 21 buttons. These are my first goes at this game, there amy be more to come in the future  ;)

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 08:27:53 PM »

Somebody's been buying a few up on Ebay this evening... (not me)   8)
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 07:04:09 AM »

Hi Lester,

On your conversion what did you do on both sides to get the push pull notes? Did you retune the existing reeds?

Cheers

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 07:10:31 AM »

Hi Lester,

On your conversion what did you do on both sides to get the push pull notes? Did you retune the existing reeds?

Cheers

I used a mixture of reeds from my spare reed boxes and retunes of the accordion reeds.

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »

What bass system did they have originally?
Tony S

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 06:17:23 PM »

What bass system did they have originally?

A 4 bass/chord stradella, neither use nor ornament at a guess  ;)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 05:05:37 PM »

Neither nowt nor summat, as they say in Hull.

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2014, 06:28:17 PM »

Very nice, gives me second thoughts about the one I am restoring as a piano unit.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

penn

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 08:06:23 PM »

I picked up one these cheap on ebay. It's called “The Soloist”, and at the point of purchase, as it wasn't a Student, I couldn’t work out how small it might be. But as you can see from the pics it's from the same parts bin as my 30's White-with-small-remaining-trace-of-gold-leaves-motif Pokerwork/2915/whatever-you-call-it.

The plan is to use the bellows for a tuning table (this is a long term project so don't expect bulletins in the near future) and the bellows are actually tighter than the 30's White. It perhaps will offer more spares and tuning practice than I'd expected as it all mostly works. BTW the mini-stradella bass end goes FCGD from the knee with major chords on the outside row, which I suppose is what you'd expect.

It has the same single piece foot plus washers that the White 30's has, and I think it was Christopher K on his site who reckoned this places it in the early 30's (actually that's my only means of dating the White box.)

It was £12 + P&P. There was another thread where someone was looking for something dead cheap to practice fettling on. Well, this is just the sort of thing to look out for if those other fettlers don't snap it up first – I'm surprised I got a shot at this one to be honest.
Steve

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 08:10:20 PM »

LOL if I hadn't been bidding on a couple of boxes on German Ebay you wouldn't have done  >:E   
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 09:34:28 PM »

I would not want to use the bellows for a tuning table - they are too useful for that.  They are the same size as 2915/pokerwork/Erica/double ray.  And if you have a 1930s Hohner two row they will look the part too.

If you don't need them to use like that I would be very happy to exchange them for a decent airtight set of larger PA bellows for you to use for a tuning table.  Bigger bellows = more air capacity which makes for easier tuning!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

penn

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 09:55:03 PM »

I would not want to use the bellows for a tuning table - they are too useful for that. ....
Oh.. I'd thought that using bellows of the approximate same size would be a good thing (i.e. pretty much the same volume/pressure etc. ?).

These are fairly scruffy, a washed out green inside and would need new tapes. The White 30's box has much tidier tapes and prettier red flowery papers, but could probably do with some leak fixing (but to be honest I'm not certain it's the bellows.)

Thanks for the offer Theo, I might take you up on that at some point but not just yet. This is a long term project that I never seem to have quite enough time for at the moment. Your comment's given me more to think about, and maybe the bellows would be more useful for a box that I'm not quite MAD enough to have bought yet?
thanks
Steve

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 10:00:51 PM »

I would not want to use the bellows for a tuning table - they are too useful for that. ....
Oh.. I'd thought that using bellows of the approximate same size would be a good thing (i.e. pretty much the same volume/pressure etc. ?).

I don't think that matters, unless you put the reed block inside the bellows to give it the same surroundings as in the instrument, which is a good idea.  But if you want to do that then you may as well use the instrument's own bellows.   For me the most useful feature of a tuning bellows is to have plenty of capacity so you can give each note a good long sounding so that it has time for the pitch to stabilise.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

triskel

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2017, 05:02:07 PM »

Not the first time one has been converted, it would appear - though what the fingering is, in the Ukraine, is anybody's guess!  :o

antique HOHNER STUDENT I Accordion Accordeon Harmonica Harmonic Collectable Rare

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2017, 08:53:51 AM »

When I click on where I imagine the image to be, all I get is "Access Denied"  ???????
I agree they do make excellent conversions . I have a Cream pearloid one which I  imagine is similar to the one I cant see, and also a red and blue screen printed one labelled "Signorina Grossi" which Is known as The fat lady in my household, she is in C/F and will be available for sale in a couple of months !!,
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

triskel

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2017, 01:17:57 AM »

When I click on where I imagine the image to be, all I get is "Access Denied"  ???????
... I have a Cream pearloid one which I  imagine is similar to the one I cant see

Somebody's grafted a stepped, open keyboard onto it, which originally had 23 buttons - but two slots have been filled in, reducing it to 21.

I've copied one of the photos from the auction, so you can see it.

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2017, 02:11:58 PM »

Thanks Triskel,....This is my effort, on the left, along with two other boxes I've created for myself. except that the white bellows on the pearloid box is now on the mahogany and ebony box on the right. and the pearloid box now has the Black bellows from the one on the right,  ( is that clear !!! )
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 03:09:20 PM by Henry Piper »
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2017, 02:38:39 PM »

Any chance of a video demo?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2017, 03:11:10 PM »

P & T,      If that request was directed at me, sadly I currently do not have facilities to produce a Video, ( or even just Audio !! )

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2017, 12:05:06 PM »

It's not about the ebay image, it's about images in the first message of this topic.
The same for me - I see empty frames in the places of both photos and have "Access Denied" window if I click on frames  :(
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal