Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 row Hohner  (Read 4166 times)

LeFonque

• Good talker
  • Loffet 3 voice, Loffet Pro 2+
    • Hupomenos
3 row Hohner
« on: March 02, 2009, 01:34:40 AM »

The local shop has got an old three row hohner A.D.G.

I don't know much about identifying the model.

Can any out there help me out by letting me know how to identify this box. It is dark varnish and a metal grill

Paul :-[
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.
Karl Marx

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
Re: 3 row Hohner
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 02:48:52 AM »

You do not give much information. However, there are some clues that can help guess the age of the box.

Does it have the newer plastic buttons or the older single hole "mother of pearl" buttons that are screwed on?

Is the bellows attached with pins or the older method using screws and hooks?

Is the air valve a slide button or the older bar that activates two pallets?

I have an old three-row that I assume is a Hohner. Someone painted it glossy black. (I can see the brush strokes.) This box has all of the older features. It also has a metal plate on the treble side, drilled with holes for the buttons. The grill has sort of a harp design in the center.

LeFonque

• Good talker
    • Hupomenos
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 08:40:45 AM »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lefonque/3321486201/

This is a really bad picture that I took in the shop.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.
Karl Marx

finnhorse

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 08:58:12 AM »

"Pre-Corona" model, 3 voices.  This model in this general style was made from the mid 1930's to the late 1940s(ish), judging from the logo and grille pattern.  It could be either mid-war or immediately pre-war. 

The earlier examples usually have H reeds and the later boxes have T reeds, but some are mixed sets of H and T.  There's some debate about when and for what reason Hohner decided to switch reed types.  H reeds sound hushed and softer, the T reeds edgier and more outspoken.  Both types respond reasonably well and both have a unique sound.  I think I remember reading something about the H and T designations referring to a type of rivet used to fasten the reed to the plate?? 

It will need some work but they're very nice boxes.  If it's been damp inside the box, then the reed tongues could be rusted and if that's the case they could snap while playing.  So you'd have to either replace the set or the ones which look the most problematic.  How much does he want for it?  The US Ebay market for the last six months, in average condition found for its age, has been $95-$195.  The cheapest example I have in my records is $85 (December) but the auction was listed with a bad description and seemed difficult to find.  The other examples I'm looking at all went for around $185.  But there's an army of Tex-Mex and Conjunto players here in the states that covet these vintage Hohners so it could be considerably cheaper on other Ebay sites, like Germany for instance, where a lot of them come up. 

You might only need a tuning or valves if this is a "recently used" box and it's fresh from the previous owner.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 01:10:25 PM by finnhorse »

LeFonque

• Good talker
    • Hupomenos
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 10:44:15 AM »

It is currently priced at AU$550.00

Karl Marx

finnhorse

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 10:51:28 AM »

How does it play?  That's about $350 for me, which is a good price for a 3-row if it's been overhauled to playing condition, or is close to snuff and needing only minor tuning work.

finnhorse

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 10:53:52 AM »

Another feature that (I think) is neat about these boxes is that there are a lot of 2-row examples with the same dimensions, celluloid, grille, and logo design.  It's like they only made one basic box, and dressed it up for this model or that model with an extra reedblock or row of buttons.

LeFonque

• Good talker
    • Hupomenos
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 11:27:50 AM »

Played it today. a quiet box compared with my other boxes.

Played OK, may need a little work.
body is a little beaten up but then so is mine.
Karl Marx

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 11:51:53 AM »

There is information and pictures of old Corona models here.
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

finnhorse

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 12:27:58 PM »

If you have any questions about the box, Peter Unbehauen is very friendly and loves to talk about old Coronas so you might email him.  He is very knowledgeable, traveling to the Hohner factory to meet with Horst Fausel to try and discover some history on the model from what's left of the original factory records.

Came up empty handed!  The Hohner people have about as many questions as we do.  ;D

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 12:54:37 PM »

"Pre-Corso" model, 3 voices. 

Sorry to be pedantic, but I think you may mean "pre-Corona".

The Corso (and therefore by association a pre-Corso) is a 2 row model.

What evidence do you have that this one is a 3 voice? Not saying it isn't, but without hearing it or seeing the internals, it is impossible to tell as far as I know....

MC
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 01:04:33 PM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

finnhorse

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 01:10:05 PM »

Rats...  you're correct!  That's what I get for staying up late.   ;D ;D

melodeon

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 10:47:47 PM »

From the appearance of the single photo:  pre Corona Earlly to mid fifties

and no doubt as mentioned a mixture of H and T reeds.. it's what they had on the shelf

This would be 2  reed with leather valves, the entire reed blocks interchangeable with the early Coronas

I bought one in mint  virtually unplayed condition last year for $350 US.. Needed no work,  mine was a darker wine red

These are decent and underrated accordions...  a bit squarish so if ergonomics is an issue... consider carefully

Personnaly  I would not pay more that $200 USD ( that would be generous) for one in the condition your described and that would be only after I looked at the reeds to make sure they are original and not rusted....   and bellows perfect.

Second thought   an ADG would be more deisreable than my GCF  so   maybe $200 US
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:50:01 PM by melodeon »

LeFonque

• Good talker
    • Hupomenos
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 10:38:55 PM »

Thanks for all the help. After a fair bit of consideration and following the responses on the topic I decided not to go ahead with the box. I will put the savings to my next large project, unless I become tempted by some other irresistible offer along the way.

Again I want to thank all who responded.

Paul
Karl Marx

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 03:09:35 AM »

Well I fell for these boxes recently first the ADG box two voice turned up here locally out of Sarasota, FL. Next the German 3 voice turned up I shall post actual pics but for those questioning here goes a link to the questionable 3 voice Pre Corona:
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=232510581743&category=181211&pm=1&ds=0&t=1504381117000&ver=0&cspheader=1
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal