Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: you tube video's  (Read 3642 times)

mrdaveog

you tube video's
« on: February 21, 2014, 09:08:03 PM »

As a newbee with a lovely Hohner Pokerwork  I have been studying you tube for suitable starter tunes. What slightly worries me is the number of box players without "heads" I can only see them from the neck down. I can't imagine that melodeon players are less good looking than other musicians, or is there something your not telling me. Daddy long Les while not classically handsome is quite happy to show his face but many others are either shy/very bad at making video recordings or just plain ugly.   
Dave

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
Re: you tube video's
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 09:20:54 PM »

I think a lot of people are trying to show what they are doing on the instrument and so a closer shot of the instrument is probably a good thing from that point of view.

This strange practise has been brought up here before though ... and I can promise you that box players are amongst the most attractive of all instrument-players - but they have a tendency to be shy.
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

robotmay

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 09:27:07 PM »

There is also the commonly diagnosed condition of "melodeon-face", which I personally suffer from about 90% of the time whilst playing the box. Symptoms include:
  • A thousand-yard stare
  • Odd gawking expressions
  • Occasional pouting and/or wincing
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:28:49 PM by robotmay »

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 09:28:03 PM »

As a newbee with a lovely Hohner Pokerwork  I have been studying you tube for suitable starter tunes. What slightly worries me is the number of box players without "heads" I can only see them from the neck down. I can't imagine that melodeon players are less good looking than other musicians, or is there something your not telling me. Daddy long Les while not classically handsome is quite happy to show his face but many others are either shy/very bad at making video recordings or just plain ugly.   
Dave

......er, thanks!!
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 09:32:05 PM »

well for me it's more about the camera on the computer and to get everything in I would have to sit farther away from computer and mic.
And although I'am not ugly ( maybe " not classically handsome"??), it's more about playing the instrument and learning the tunes in most of the videos. 
what kind of tunes are you looking to play? I'am sure that you would get some helpful advise on easier tunes to start with.
good luck and have fun!!
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 09:32:37 PM »

mrdaveog

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 09:39:19 PM »

Thanks for that Lester, I will add you to my Hall of Fame!!! (Thanks for the video's as well)
Dave

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 10:05:40 PM »

Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 10:19:50 PM »

I used to do full face videos, but less often recently because
1 - melodeon face, including posted comments about how miserable I look  :'(
2 - allegedly people like to watch fingers and buttons to see how other players are doing things, so the closer the better if that's what they really want to see.
3 - (just thought of this) I tend to have the box quite low down, so to include my face and the box a lot of the frame is wasted. Players who have the box higher by using two straps can make better use of the space available.

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 11:19:12 PM »

You get a mix from me  ;D
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 09:27:53 AM »

I suspect, too, there's also some people who try and limit their personal exposure on a public web forum.
Not all Facebookers have a 'proper' photo of themselves, some leaving it blank, choose an avatar as on here, or something unidentifiable.i think sometimes the ethos shows on our YouTube efforts.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 10:35:41 AM »

Hi Mr Og. I bet I'm not alone in looking forward with great anticipation to seeing you on YT, physog, shiny new Pokerwork et al. But....if you're like many of us, you might find it more difficult than you think to keep a nice relaxed looking face whilst trying your best not to play bum notes, remember your bass lines, not shouting unrepeatable words when you mess up etc. etc. Anyway, welcome to the forum and happy playing and recording! (:)

Chris Brimley

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 10:50:25 AM »

This is an interesting thread! - For me the reason is simply that playing the box requires total concentration, or I fall over, whereas strumming a guitar, or singing, does seem to allow a little bit of brain processing power left over to risk partial engagement with the audience. 

I was trying to think of a box-player who can engage actively with the audience while he/she is playing - Squeezy, you spring to mind as one, but Tim Edey was about the only other one I thought of - his obvious happiness in playing is highly infectious.

I find these days that if I'm playing a dance tune that I know really well, I can simultaneously watch the dancers to check they're keeping up with the right place in the dance.  However, can anyone name a box player who can either talk or call dances while they are playing? (Singing doesn't count, that's rehearsed!)  Maybe JK?  Occasionally audience members will come up to you and try to engage you in a convoluted conversation while you're playing, and I've learned the only thing I can do is to grin at them and hope they realise I can't reply.  I can't even shout 'Change!' without losing the plot!

Ellisteph

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 11:55:41 AM »

Bob Cann used to call and play at the same time - but then he was exceptional.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:11:13 PM by Ellisteph »
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

OrchardAshley90

• Good talker
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 12:20:11 PM »

I think if you looking at these sorts of videos you really only look at the instrument well I do, all my videos have either have my face showing or just instrument, only cause it's hard to get a good recording spot with my ipad...

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 12:37:40 PM »

Chris, I find your observation that you need total concentration or you loose the plot very reassuring!
I've just tried to record a tune I'm learning on my Olympus audio recorder to join in a conversation elsewhere. Nothing fancy, just twice though a tune I've just about learnt.
Umpteen takes yesterday, a bit better today but anything less than total concentration then it goes belly up  :(
I also realised as the takes stacked up, I was slightly speeding up and to my ears sounded less than relaxed, whereas my first recording was more laid back but a couple of 'typo's' meant I wanted to get a better recording.

I need to keep relaxed *all* the time and maintain concentration at all times too.
Goodness knows what grimaces would be apparent had I tried this in front of a camera  ;)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »

However, can anyone name a box player who can either talk or call dances while they are playing?
Pete Coe can play and call dances simultaneously.
cheers
Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

Chris Brimley

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 01:52:55 PM »

True, well he's a hero too!

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 02:16:42 PM »

However, can anyone name a box player who can either talk or call dances while they are playing?
Pete Coe can play and call dances simultaneously.
cheers
Steve

Yes, me.  ;). Oh, and play bass drum at the same time.
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Jules0654

• Regular debater
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 02:28:43 PM »

I rarely post videos, being a relative newbie, but also because I suffer badly with Melodeon Face Syndrome. When my Squire reminds me to "Smile!!" I do smile - then instantly go totally wrong and lose the tune!  I've only just mastered breathing and playing at the same time!!
Pokerwork x 2, Erica, Liliput, Saltarelle Berry, Corona, Serenellini Dona, Hohner C/F and "something german".....becoming MAD?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal