Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: M Hohner B/E  (Read 22674 times)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
Re: M Hohner B/E
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2014, 06:56:24 PM »

If you cut the edging strips in a different direction, across the grain, then they will fold less easily, and the texture will appear different between the end frames and the folds.

This is quite disturbing news. Yes I do realise that if I cut the broad strips along the length they will fold less easily but all they have to do is bend at 90 degrees round the box corners whereas bellows tape doubles back on itself. If as you say they will look different if fitted at right angles to each other then I will now have to cut the 48mm wide strips from the 510mm width which means I will have two joints on the end frames instead of one. One of those joints has to be at a front corner albeit underneath, so I'm not a happy bunny!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2014, 07:49:36 PM »

More pictures, the bellows stripped ready to clean up and recover.

Bass reeds.

Bass and chords.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 06:37:03 PM by tallship »
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2014, 07:51:47 PM »

Treble reeds.

Other side.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 06:37:40 PM by tallship »
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2014, 07:53:08 PM »

OK , you can get away with it, it's just that the material doesn't like it . :'(
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2014, 07:54:34 PM »

Bass action.

T'other way up.

Butterfingers!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 06:38:27 PM by tallship »
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »

OK , you can get away with it, it's just that the material doesn't like it . :'(

But will it look odd Nick?
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2014, 08:35:49 PM »

If you cut the edging strips in a different direction, across the grain, then they will fold less easily, and the texture will appear different between the end frames and the folds.

I've suddenly realised that this is wrong! The folds on the bellows frames are at right angles to the folds on the bellows so it follows that if I cut the broads strips at right angles to the bellows tape strips all of the folds will be along the same axis of the material, only the grain is at right angles. You can't have it both ways!
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2014, 07:34:07 PM »

I borrowed the Art Dept's precision rotary cutter today and cut four broad strips and twenty eight narrow strips of buckram ready to recover the bellows frames and replace the bellows tape. The rotary cutter was quick use, very accurate and it made a potentially tedious and difficult task simplicity itself. I cut a few extra bits so I can experiment with gluing some to pieces of scrap wood and practice mitering on the fly before tackling the real thing over the next few days.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2014, 07:39:36 AM »

But will it look odd Nick?

No it won't, it's not like Corderoy, if that's how you spell it  :D
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2014, 07:40:39 AM »

I've suddenly realised that this is wrong! The folds on the bellows frames are at right angles to the folds on the bellows so it follows that if I cut the broads strips at right angles to the bellows tape strips all of the folds will be along the same axis of the material, only the grain is at right angles. You can't have it both ways!

Correct Pete.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2014, 08:21:50 AM »

There are two sets of folds on the bellows frame covering:  at the corners of the frame, and where the covering goes over onto the the first valley of the bellows. So whichever way you cut the buckram the grain will be parallel to one fold and at right angles to the other!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2014, 11:02:16 AM »

Can't disagree with that, it's a total nightmare. Compare grain direction  to corrugated cardboard. That should make it simpler to understand. I had real trouble at the London College of Printing, trying to get this grain thing  into my head. ( mind you, that's not difficult)  ;D
Well difficult when it comes my head that is.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:11:29 AM by Nick Collis Bird »

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2014, 05:44:25 PM »

There are two sets of folds on the bellows frame covering:  at the corners of the frame, and where the covering goes over onto the the first valley of the bellows. So whichever way you cut the buckram the grain will be parallel to one fold and at right angles to the other!

You are quite right of course but at least cutting everything across the width as you originally said means that the long folded edges of the frames are folded in the same way as the strips of bellows tape.

Pictures tomorrow if I think on but the two end frames are now half bound and left in cramps overnight. I've done the back and bottom runs first and these will be trimmed off flush with the corners. The front and top runs will then overlap slightly underneath and down the back where they are unlikely to be noticed after the metal corners are refitted.

Rightly or wrongly I elected to stick the buckram to the face of the frame only leaving the edge bellows run and the small tuck around the end of the frame until later. Time will tell if this was a good idea!
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2014, 04:53:38 PM »

The end frames of the bellows are finally recovered and I've done a trial strip of bellows tape to see if the paste sticks to the metal corners. The buckram overlaps wouldn't stick down with paste so they were finished with a bit of PVA which worked like a charm. On with the bellows tape next but if the metal corners give me grief then the lot will go on with PVA.

Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2014, 06:20:06 PM »

Pegs!

Just the hardware to go back on.

It's starting to look a lot smarter!
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2014, 08:49:55 PM »

Stunning job, Pete!  (:)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2014, 12:35:06 AM »

Stunning job, Pete!  (:)

Well the most noticeable thing was that the old bellows papers took on a new lease of life as I used a barely damp microfibre cloth to wash away excess paste when fitting new bellows tape. I had thought the black streaks on the cloth came from the new buckram, as soon as I discovered it was rejuvenating the old printed bellows papers I became a little bit more liberal with my attentions. I hope that the result is that the papers are now as vibrant and striking as they were when they left the Hohner Factory.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2014, 09:19:26 AM »

That looks amazing!
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2014, 10:56:51 PM »

To be honest the bellows won't bear a close inspection for very long, too many errors! Nothing that affects the instrument in any way but several cosmetic niggles arising from my lack of experience working with buckram. The material stretches fairly easily when wet but tends to shrink back as it dries. This wasn't much of a problem when covering the wooden frames as I cut the pieces long when I stuck them on and only trimmed them to length after the glue had dried. Taping the bellows folds was a different matter however and I have a number things I will either have to learn to live with, figure out a workaround or rip off and start again. Being a lazy sod I will probably acknowledge that the box is for me and I'll learn to live with the imperfections.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2014, 04:13:20 AM »

Pete, that looks quite nice. I have a few questions that may be answered but I could have missed in the thread. How many strips did you use for the frames, and where was the overlap or seam located? The excess you mentioning trimming off, was that along the outer edges of the frames? And which paste was used? Thanks, Chris.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal