Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: National Band  (Read 2175 times)

tiny

National Band
« on: February 26, 2014, 09:41:27 PM »

One of my young students (14 years of age)  has been given a National Band one row, 'Cherry' to work on by an elderly gentleman in the village. The student is looking for some new reed block as the old ones can't be repaired he tells me.  I know absolutely nothing on the repair side, does anyone have any idea how to go about such things/where to find reed blocks etc. Any help gratefully received and forwarded.
Lizzy
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
Re: National Band
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 09:50:42 PM »

It's tough without pictures to give any advice on this one.

National band instruments will be pretty old (1910s-1920s?) - and as such often in difficult to renovate condition - but not necessarily impossible.  It will be hard to impossible to get a direct replacement of a reed-block (the wooden bit that holds the reeds) as they've been out of business for a good long time - but a determined person could make a new one.

But my guess is that what your student means is the reed plate(s) - the metal bit that holds the reed(s) ... on instruments of that age it could be that whole banks of reeds are on a single plate which makes repairing duff reeds very hard.  If they're on single plates then there's a chance you can buy modern or reclaimed replacement reeds that will fit - but if you have to replace a majority then it's not really economic to do so.

I'm sure if you can upload some pictures of the offending reeds/plates/blocks then it's much more likely that someone here will be able to advise with a lot more certainty.

Cheers

Squeezy
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

tiny

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 12:46:18 PM »

Thank you squeezy, I shall send this information to him and wait to hear.
This young man is enthusiastic in his working on instruments, and asked me to post on this forum for him. He has just joined NYFTE (playing melodeon) its wonderful to be able to encourage youngsters and see them grow in confidence and skill. (:)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 01:41:28 PM »

I have some long reed plates of the type probably fitted to the instrument in question.  There are many different configurations though so I don't know how we could work out if I have a matching set.

I think it is also worth pointing out that renovating this type old instrument can be very difficult and the young man shoul not feel bad if he discovers that he is unable to get it playing.  I try to avoid working in this type if box whenever I can and I've been earning a living repairing boxes for nearly ten years.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

tiny

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 01:55:15 PM »

Thank you Theo for the information. Yes I acknowledge the limitations and will again pass this on to him.

Workshops for repairing......now are there any of those around?
Lizzy

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 02:18:25 PM »

Yes there is next month in Mendlesham http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,14263.0.html
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 04:20:44 PM »

And apparently there are still places.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Kathy B

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 10:51:08 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Mum here! Unfortunately Suffolk is a bit far for us. I tried to attach a photo but can't upload it even though it is compressed.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 07:47:56 AM »

I tried to attach a photo but can't upload it even though it is compressed.
You need to check the file size of the photo. The maximum size for uploading a photo to this forum is 256 KB which is really quite small, considering that modern digital cameras and phone cameras will easily generate photos with a file size of 2 - 4 MB or more.
Even though your photo is 'compressed' it may well be still too large. You will probably need to reduce the resolution (number of pixels) of the photo. Most photo/image editing software should be able to do this for you.

As a very approximate guide, an average subject photo of a melodeon or inside components with pixel dimensions say 1000 x 760, at medium- to high-quality jpeg compression, will be around 250 KB which is just on the limit for this forum. If you reduce your pixel dimensions still further, say to 800 x 600, you should end up with a file size around the 150 KB size which is easily within the forum limits and yet should remain sufficiently good resolution so that the finer details are still visible.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »

Or post it somewhere else and provide a link.

tiny

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 11:11:19 PM »

The young man told me today that he has sorted the melodeon. Well done him. Thanks for all the advice much appreciated.  (:)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal