Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for March 2014: Tunes that Mean Something to You  (Read 9442 times)

Lyn

• Respected Sage
Re: Theme of the Month for March 2014: Tunes that Mean Something to You
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2014, 04:25:22 PM »

Sorry I have done it again - I don't seem to manage getting the quote inwithout including my own comment in the quote!  :-[
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 06:12:57 PM »

Sorry I have done it again - I don't seem to manage getting the quote inwithout including my own comment in the quote!  :-[
Lyn - you can always subsequently edit your post using the 'modify' button and rearrange your text/ and the quote  and /quote tags in the square brackets.

If you don't want that annoying 'last edited...' endnote to appear, you can then copy and paste your correctly formatted message into a new reply and then delete your previous incorrect post. 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2014, 03:52:51 AM »

Here's one: Dvajspetorka, a Macedonian Dance tune in 25/8 time. (simples: 7 + 7 + 4 + 7 where each 7 is 3+2+2  >:E )

That's a great tune and very well played; I think it'll be quite some time until I can even attempt to learn something like that :o

Very nicely played tune.  :||: :||:

Eugene Wright (the bassist for Dave Brubeck Quartet) and Frank Zappa (a guy who used to cut the grass) both said that compound time is easier if you learn it with a sentence, like "Life is just a bowl of cherries" which is useful for anyone, I guess, who has difficulty with walking and chewing gum. But 25/8, or much of FZ's repertoire... dem riddims ain't ready for me yet.   ;D

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2014, 07:52:24 AM »

Eugene Wright (the bassist for Dave Brubeck Quartet) and Frank Zappa (a guy who used to cut the grass) both said that compound time is easier if you learn it with a sentence, like "Life is just a bowl of cherries"

Re Brubeck: When I was about 13 I had a piano teacher who gave me a book with all the sheet music for Brubeck's Time Out and Time Further Out. By the the time I'd learned Blue Rondo a la Turk, Take Five and Unsquare Dance and had a go at a few others, I think the damage was extensive and permanent  ;)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2014, 12:39:36 AM »

Well done folks; time for a new theme - as ever; just stick any late entries on this thread.

bellmartin

• Regular debater
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »

Drapers Gardens: Margravaine's Waltz - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHR5vEJ4lw4&feature=youtu.be

This tune Means Something to Me because it marks the first time I ever made myself useful on the melodeon, which was by joining the band for English Country Dancing a week ago Saturday.

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2014, 02:41:44 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZQEBC8FAHM&feature=share&list=UU580D25BXCEcqzyFx2cjvEw&index=1

I'm posting "Mominette" rather than in the tune of the month thread from some years ago ... this was the tune that first brought me to Mel.net.  I did a search and was directed here and I was hooked.  It is a tune that is packed with meaning for me ... partially because I originally found it as an unnamed tune, so I named it for my wife, Bethany and it became "Scottish a Bethanie."  Later I found out it was a tune composed by Maxou, so I've retitled my own postings of this.  More recently, Bethany and I have divorced ... still a favorite tune to play.  Usually the first tune I play on an instrument I'm trying, because it goes down to the low pitches, which are very important to me.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

AndyShear

• D/G Mory
  • Regular debater
    • The Busketeers
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2014, 05:53:17 PM »

meaning , value , care ................            .................
well enough existentiality

Here's a re hash off the first tune of the month tune from Oct 2009 ........phew
Was the first time I'd re jigged a tune .... so I've given it a dust off and another polish
 S.T.P
{speed the plough special for "tunes that mean something to you " anniversary commemorative limited edition}

http://youtu.be/QMv6FjIvBX0

Andy
With the lostness in das Man, the nearest, factical potentiality-ofbeing of Da-sein has always already been decided upon – tasks, rules, standards, the urgency and scope of being-in-the-world, concerned and taking care of things. Das-Man has always already taken the apprehension of these possibilities-of-being away from Dasein.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal