Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bah, lost it...  (Read 1413 times)

BJG

• Regular debater
    • Magicfolk
Bah, lost it...
« on: March 16, 2014, 01:01:02 PM »

Been pretty lucky with Ceilidhs recently, with full enthusiastic attendance. I guess there has to be the odd dud though, and last night was one such. It could have been worse, despite the small handful of people who turned out, their reluctance to dance, their tendency to break out into snatches of "Come on Eileen" (I think one of us had come to the wrong gig) and the final confusion over payment. But what exasperated me most was that having practised 'The Rose Tree' and 'Jer The Rigger' every day for a while now, and encouraging the band to play it at a brisk pace, I completely lost it...after a few stabs at the tune and a bit of head shaking I had to ditch it and pick up the bass instead.

Thing is, I'm so used to the bass that even after a couple of pints of Fursty Ferret I cam jam along and recover any mistakes with ease. Not so the melodeon unfortunately. This morning back at home I can once again play The Rose Tree (sans chords) perfectly fluently, but I think I need more practice with the band before I'll dare tackle it in public again...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 01:06:58 PM by BJG »

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
Re: Bah, lost it...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 06:17:27 PM »

Know the feeling. Tunes I can play all evening at home, stood up with other players: train crash. Usually on the B or faster bits of the A.
It is noticeably improving, with practice. That's about all I can say.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 06:48:47 AM »

It's really odd how these things happen.
I fully commiserate with you BJG. Sometimes everything gells and for no known reason sometimes they don't.
When Wessex Folk Club existed in the 70's we were often asked to appear at the many Foreign Language schools in the Bournemouth area, to demonstrate what English folk music was all about.
  I was nearly always the compere. SO! Wednesday night say, room full of Japanese Students. They danced around, joined in the choruses, laughed at my jokes(God) and all had a great evening.
  Next Wednesday, same School , a different crowd of Japanese Students. We did the same act.
Would they sing? No. Or dance or laugh. They all just sat there with mouths open eyes agog obviously thinking that we were complete idiots.
  Now maybe one of our resident Psychologists could explain that one  >:E
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:39:26 AM »

A confession. The "Oleo" bebop piece was performed by about nine of us in end of course show in Grenoble. I posted elsewhere that I'd "survived" a 32 bar impro in Bb :o

What I'd failed to add was that the whole band came in … well, sort of different speeds and rhythms!. My role in the "song" was was chording "anatole" and the sequence went completely out of my head. Like BJG I fell back to bass, while wondering what lead instrument I should actually follow  :Ph Our tutor cut this dog's breakfast after about 12 bars, we got a good laugh, and actually more applause than later followed the good run ;)

The rest was up to by sheer audacity, by which I mean the sound edit software recommended by Lester and others here. Pierre, recording us, naturellement had left the button down right through :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

BJG

• Regular debater
    • Magicfolk
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 01:57:15 PM »

Next Wednesday, same School , a different crowd of Japanese Students. We did the same act. Would they sing? No. Or dance or laugh. They all just sat there with mouths open eyes agog obviously thinking that we were complete idiots. Now maybe one of our resident Psychologists could explain that one.

Thing is, moods are contagious.

The researchers have discovered it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26556295

...and the MoD are going to militarise it.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/mar/16/mod-secret-cyberwarfare-programme

The Ministry of Defence is developing a secret, multimillion-pound research programme into the future of cyberwarfare, including how emerging technologies such as social media and psychological techniques can be harnessed by the military to influence people's beliefs.

Programmes ranging from studies into the role of online avatars to research drawing on psychological theories and the impact of live video-sharing are being funded by the MoD in partnership with arms companies, academics, marketing experts and thinktanks

I wouldn't like to be you when the NSA get to work on your lobster Nick.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:01:08 PM by BJG »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal