Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How it's made - Diatonic Accordion  (Read 1679 times)

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: How it's made - Diatonic Accordion
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 06:43:24 AM »

That easy, eh? I'm waiting on "how it's made: the 5th generation mobile phone" :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:24:15 AM »

Pine valves?? Is that common ?
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 08:34:28 AM »

Calves do pine when separated from mum. However where do you get those magnets from?
  Oh! Wrong thread, Ho Hum  :'(
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:36:11 AM by Nick Collis Bird »
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 02:14:31 PM »

I think they're using "valves" to mean "pallets".
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 02:44:49 PM »

I'm more concerned by the mention of plastic rockers c. 1:50. We used to have those on the seventies - 10 helmets on the pub table and one Honda C 70 in the car park. They were superceded by part time punks.

N.B. edited to include slightly more amusing reference to underpowered seventies jap two wheeler  8)

Was going to include ref to plastic pig, but that would have been a joke too far  :D

P.S. re Pikey's recent ref to Jowett, these are not just from Yorkshire, but they're from Bradford - Idle to be precise. Within walking of both the Idle Cock and the Idle Working Men's Club ( of which I am a proudly paid up member).  ;D

P.P.S. Idle is also source for some of the most highly regarded U.K. audio gear viz Wharfedale Speakers, of which I am also proud possessor.

Apologies for Yokist rant. I'm having problems with Geordies atm. I'll get over it - I hope.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:48:18 PM by Mike Hirst »
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 04:34:52 PM »

if you watch when he is making the bass end there is a shot of a piece of pine with a slot cut in it, and the voice over mentions using pine for the valve. It seems to be the pallet for the air button. It seems very unusual to use slotted wood, surely it would pretty soon break ?
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 04:50:46 PM »

if you watch

Ah - that might be an idea!!  ;D
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 06:08:28 PM »

if you watch when he is making the bass end there is a shot of a piece of pine with a slot cut in it, and the voice over mentions using pine for the valve. It seems to be the pallet for the air button. It seems very unusual to use slotted wood, surely it would pretty soon break ?

I'm pretty sure that the slot goes completely through the wood and that the two pieces are held together by the leather /felt ,which is also acting as the hinge and that the air , bass and chord set up is the same.
I like to know how the pallet rod gets attached to the lever , is it just glued in ?
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal