Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying my first melodeon  (Read 11308 times)

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
Re: Buying my first melodeon
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 12:25:50 PM »

My personal decision is to save frantically now for one of the various single-voice boxes - there don't seem to be volume issues compared to the two-voices and the sweetness and delicacy which can be achieved if you want it, plus the lightness and portability, make them highly attractive.

The Castagnari Lilly is a single voice, but is quite loud, and has an incisive quality which cuts through and carries more than some of the more mellow 2 voiced instruments. That is one reason why it is popular for morris and other outdoor uses. If volume is an issue,  a pokerwork, Delicia or similar might be a better idea.
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
Re: Buying my first melodeon
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 07:18:25 PM »

I've got a Popular III (the wooden one - it's still only twin reed) which I bought very lightly used, on spec, from a certain auction site for an awful lot less than I've seen other used ones going for - OK it was at risk and cheap enough for me not to bother too much if I had got it wrong.

I was lucky.  The quality is as good as I remember Hohners being from the 80s, it is reasonably responsive, light, and does not clatter like a worn out sewing machine and overall it sounds decent - the sound encourages you to keep playing.  I didn't buy it with high expectations but I'm never going to get an Italian box,  a Morgane or even a battered Erika for what I paid for it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal