Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maugein - Page 2 in yesterday's Observer  (Read 842 times)

David J

• Regular debater
Maugein - Page 2 in yesterday's Observer
« on: March 24, 2014, 01:41:32 PM »

I was more than a little surprised to see the Maugein name pop up in my Sunday read. There's quite a bit of info about them in this story about local boy Francois Hollande. It will be interesting to see what the new partnership change in the business, and whether they will look to promote outside France more (or indeed, inside France). When I visited them in 2012 there was certainly a very laid-back air about the workforce! Although the diatonics are beautifully made, they are rather expensive, and the default for top French players seems to be an 18-bass Castagnari Handry.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/23/francois-hollande-tulle-elections-france
Luukinen Elene III, Baffetti Binci, and an increasing number of Hohners

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
Re: Maugein - Page 2 in yesterday's Observer
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 01:18:25 PM »

I've only heard a few Maugein instruments and very nice they were too.  It does seem that with a set up like theirs they could easily change their portfolio and compete with Castagnari - there are noticeable similarities in the set up.  Perhaps the old management were indeed living in the past and had lost touch with the market, recognising only their preferred PA sector.

Rob.

David J

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 01:32:39 PM »

Put it like this: I was English, had made the effort to visit, dutifully followed former boss M. Lacheze around the factory for 2 hours on the official tour, asked to try some models I was interested in - and then got just 15 minutes to do this because they were shutting up at midday on the dot to go to lunch! So not much salesmanship in evidence  :(

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 01:36:14 PM »

But that's the French way. Lunchtime is sacred. No doubt they expected you to have a 2 hour lunch then come back!

So what were the boxes like?
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

David J

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 01:27:27 PM »

Very distinctive, although I was after a 2.5 row 3-voice and their offering is a bit of a monster, unlike the 2-voice version. Shame, because I would have probably gone for one if it had been lighter. More comments from me and others on this earlier thread:
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,2990.msg142593.html#msg142593
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal