Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tommy modification  (Read 3684 times)

blackdot1234

• Regular debater
tommy modification
« on: March 07, 2009, 06:40:59 PM »

i would like to be able to have a stop on 2and 3 voices of tommy how do i find out the 1st and 2nd voices as the third is on one block in the middle . once i know this i can have the option of 1v 2v or 3v sounds can i get brass stoppers to match

melodeon

Re: tommy modification
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 06:43:03 PM »

I have no doubt this could be done..
would I do it... no

Get a Lilly for the Concertina voice

get a simple 2 row with an LM configuration

and leave the Tommy  a  unscathed

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 09:03:25 PM »

i would like to be able to have a stop on 2and 3 voices of tommy how do i find out the 1st and 2nd voices as the third is on one block in the middle . once i know this i can have the option of 1v 2v or 3v sounds can i get brass stoppers to match 

__.  You do mean treble side here, don't you?  (I don't own a Tommy and have never played one and I've certainly never seen one apart but my experience with my Benny tells me that the parts are really packed in there -- I don't have any idea how they manage the single stop to take out the octave reed other than the Octave reeds are probably on a single reed block that's easy to access for the slide.  It's a WAIG, but I'd guess that it would be very difficult to find a way to get slides in there for the other two individual sets of reeds on a Tommy.  And I'd guess difficult to the point of impracticablity.)

__.  As Jeff says, you already have the option of 2 or 3 voices sounding -- all you'd gain is the option of making it sound like a concertina or a Lilly.  Even if it's mechanically possible, it doesn't strike me as something that's worth doing.
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 10:33:14 PM »

Nope, definitely not reccomended - there's very little room in there for one stop anyhow...

If it was possible, and you did - and found anyone with the will or skill to do it - it'd take someone a heck of a lot of time and work (and dosh)... and once it was hacked, the value of the thing would be pretty much wiped out, and frankly a bit of a bugger to trade in if you ever wanted to...

For a one voice sound get a Lilly (plenty come up used)... or the similar model by Bernard Loffet. Alternatively (if you must have the stops), look out for the Serenellini 233 (or it's second cousin, the Saltarelle Nuage), which is engineered with three stops in place already...

Ed J

blackdot1234

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 01:15:40 PM »

all info taken on board thanks i just thought it would be a good option on sounds from one box no need to buy more plus no money for new toys .i am a joiner  by trade and the slides would fit under reed blocks same as thirds but where are the reeds for 1voice are they together or split on 2reed blocks if so which is which

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 06:21:15 PM »

all info taken on board thanks i just thought it would be a good option on sounds from one box no need to buy more plus no money for new toys .i am a joiner  by trade and the slides would fit under reed blocks same as thirds but where are the reeds for 1voice are they together or split on 2reed blocks if so which is which

Split on two blocks I'd guess... something like this (if it's set up as MML):-

Block 1 M pitch
Block 1 M offset

Block 2 L pitch
Block 2 L pitch

Block 3 M pitch
Block 3 M offset

OK, so it's your shout and all that... but if it's such a good idea, why haven't Castagnari done it already? In that vein, check out the archives (in the old forum) about the Castagnari Matty model - it shows that trying to squeeze a gallon into a pint pot doesn't always work quite how you thought... even for the experts...

By all means, experiement with blocking off the reed sets with Scotch tape, etc. but I'd check with someone who really knows their boxes (builders/repairers) before contemplating anything so drastic. Once it's done, it's fairly irreversible... and could have serious implications upon the general accoustics of the box.

Anyhow, that's my thoughts. But we live and learn... :)

Ed J
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 06:22:51 PM by EeeJay »

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 07:07:22 PM »

Don't think this is actually possible in a case the size of the Tommy. I have attacjhed a shot of the inside on my Tommy with the reed blocks out.

The top row is the G row (ten holes)
The bottom row id s the D row (eleven holes)
The centre row (lighter wood of the slide) is the low note row, it is shown with the slide shut so it is not possible to see the pallets as it is for the other two rows.

As you can see the  holes on the slide are offset from each other to allow then slide to either uncover or cover the pallets. You can also see that there is insufficient space on the other two rows to have both an open and closed position.

Set off thinking this would be hard to describe but on trying to write down the obvious I find it hard without pointing etc.
If I can expand this in anyway please ask  :(

blackdot1234

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 07:14:28 PM »

i have been messing around and i could fit the stop board under the blocks but not drill the holes through top of box and see what it sounds like. the box sounds better in 2 voice mode with third block removed and replaced with a block shaped piece off beech  but only thick enough to block off holes in sound board. i will tape off one block at a time to see where 1v reeds are set and go from there .it will be interesting to see what it will sound like i take it that it has not been done before thank for all the info

blackdot1234

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 07:20:19 PM »

thanks for that the 1v could be a long slot so open all the time and other for 2v holes offset to cover holes in reed block only what do you think of that

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 07:20:25 PM »

You would need two stops, one for the D row and one for the G row. I have the brass knobs in stock.

If you look at the photo you will see that there is one hole in the soundboard to operate the two reeds. Therefore you would need to make a false stop-slide to glue on the reedblock by the side of the new stop-slide, thus creating two holes.

It's not impossible but has been said before there's not much room in there.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 07:22:37 PM »

thanks for that the 1v could be a long slot so open all the time and other for 2v holes offset to cover holes in reed block only what do you think of that

The long slot wouldn't work as it would open up the adjacent reeds - in fact the whole row would sound together whichever button you pushed.
www.melodeons.com

blackdot1234

• Regular debater
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 07:29:11 PM »

yes how stupid of me i think a board to split the two rows is the answer and a slider to close off 2v

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 07:35:03 PM »

That's the way. Good luck!  :||:
www.melodeons.com

blackdot1234

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 07:41:19 PM »

if i am putting in sliders will they stop the bellows frame from fixing back in normal position with the pins

blackdot1234

• Regular debater
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 10:55:36 PM »

after a closer look the holes in the stop would have to be cut to suit the sound board not the reed block therefore only airtight on  one side because on reedblock hole is long ways and on sound board its width ways i wonder if this would be air tight enough to stop reed sounding when in closed position also holes in reedblock are only 1mm apart between 1v and 2v sets so very tricky  may be might have to use ally instead of hardwood
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal