Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paul Havell  (Read 2970 times)

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
Paul Havell
« on: March 28, 2014, 11:12:46 PM »

This is probably the wrong place to say this. But it is with regret that I say.
The funeral of the late great Paul Havell took place in Telford today.
In the 70's in Dorset he was such a great influence to me and many others as far as the Melodeon was concerned. He taught us so much.
He was a brilliant player and it was such a pleasure to have known him. 38 years ago we were very close friends
RIP Paul, and God bless.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:40:17 PM by Nick Collis Bird »
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Paul Havell
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 11:59:19 AM »

I knew him  in the late 70's as part of the formidable Hohner Front Row that played for the Iron Men, including Baz of this parish.
That's taken me back ....  sitting amongst them all in deck chairs on Sidmouth seafront, one festival, having a real good tune session. Brilliant times.
A great player indeed.....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Malcolm

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 06:33:35 PM »

One of Angel Morris Men's early musicians and a damn fine one too.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (My first box). Hohner Pokerwork C/F (Thanks to Martyn White). Hohner 4 Stops in G (My Minehead Box), D & C. Hohner Erikas in D/G & Bb/Eb (Thanks to Mike Rowbottom & Martyn White). Saltarelle Berry D/G (The token Costalotti) and a G/C Hohner Corso (wetter than an English summer)

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 08:04:48 PM »

Ahh... Didn't know that, but thought he started over London way. Didn't his brother play trombone in the early days with Flowwers and Frolics?
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Chris Brimley

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 08:22:46 PM »

I did not know him, but do you have any recordings to share, Nick?  He sounds like a player who deserves to be heard and remembered more widely.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 08:28:43 PM »

Baz will be the man, not only as a long standing Iron Man, but from a conversation I had with him 18months ago at Sidmouth, I was under the impression that Baz was in touch with him....... though I could easily have misunderstood.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 11:03:53 PM »

Yes Q his brother Nick did play with Flowers. And no, lots of us have searched but no one has come up with a recording of Paul.
He was an Angel Morris Musician. City University I think, and a friend of June Tabor, she probably doesn't know he has gone.
As a Civil Engineer, he was was responsible for the Southern part of the M3 motorway. He much preferred squeezing a box than staring through a Theodolite . The sessions in the PembroKe Arms in Bournemouth were unforgettable . 
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 11:36:29 PM »

Paul featured on All Blacked Up's album 'Say I Am Dancing' - his playing is, to my ears, just out of this world - nothing flash or technically clever by today's standards, but played with swing, lots and lots of swing. Cracking, cracking player.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 01:07:31 PM »

Paul featured on All Blacked Up's album 'Say I Am Dancing' - his playing is, to my ears, just out of this world - nothing flash or technically clever by today's standards, but played with swing, lots and lots of swing. Cracking, cracking player.

Sadly "say i am dancing..." is no longer available...we're going to try and get some repressed when we work out who has the master...

I was lucky enough to play alongside Paul in two bands, and two morris sides.  Inspirational.

I played his box at his wake on Friday...strangely, it didn't sound the same...

I'm trying to write a tribute for the band website...I'll post a link when I've finished it...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 02:11:43 PM »

Make sure you do Baz.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »

Sadly "say i am dancing..." is no longer available...we're going to try and get some repressed when we work out who has the master...

May I suggest using a service like http://www.bandcamp.com/ if a full commercial pressing doesn't look like happening?

Cheers,

Clive

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 05:22:47 PM »

May I suggest using a service like http://www.bandcamp.com/ if a full commercial pressing doesn't look like happening?

Cheers,

Clive

thanks Clive...I'll suggest it...

Ada

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 11:24:37 AM »

Much saddened to read this thread: I knew Paul in his London days when I attended ( a callow youth) the (then) Tower folk club in Leyton: he was probably one of the first box-players I heard and may therefore be one of the reasons I started playing.
After he moved away I encountered him occasionally: I believe he was at one point playing for Holden's Goldens (morriswomen) but hadn't heard anything more until reading this.
He was an esxcellent melodeonist and a diamond geezer. 

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 02:20:43 PM »

I believe he was at one point playing for Holden's Goldens (morriswomen) but hadn't heard anything more until reading this.
He was an esxcellent melodeonist and a diamond geezer.

He was indeed...his first wife Gail was a founder member. 

I remember his delight when we were both at a WMFF meeting in the days when women's morris was looked on with vilification by certain male "dancers". The chairman held up a photo of Folk News with a picture of Paul playing for Holden's on the front and demanded the male musician should be named, shamed, and possibly burned in hell. This was greeted with the Havel chuckle we knew so well.

I'm working on that obituary, but I don't think I've ever found anything so hard to write..

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 02:24:16 PM »

I remember Gail well. Didn't realise there was a Holden's Goldens link with them both.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 02:26:26 PM »

I remember Gail well. Didn't realise there was a Holden's Goldens link with them both.
Q

Me too, and Holdens were a good team.
Their nickname for Paul was " 50 Watt Gob"
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 02:28:41 PM by Nick Collis Bird »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal