Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sergiu Popa  (Read 1338 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Sergiu Popa
« on: March 30, 2014, 11:49:13 AM »

This man and his wife are friends of mine. He's a great piano box player in the gypsy tradition, from Moldova, living in Montreal for the past decade.

There's an enjoyable video on the page linked to below. If you like the music you can support the CD project by donating a few pennies, which amounts to preordering a CD or digital download.   

Thanks!
Steve

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/832395061/sergiu-popa-accordion-wizard-ready-to-rock

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Sergiu Popa
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 02:39:40 PM »

I just have to give a plug for this CD now that it's out. Really great. Unlike Sergiu's first solo recording, in which the focus was on heavy-duty gypsy instrumentals, this one is more varied, and is full of songs from all over Eastern Europe and the Middle East featuring some great singers from Bulgaria, Turkey and even a Moroccan Sephardic Jewish cantor. The virtuosic accordion playing (and percussion) is still there, but Sergiu allows the singers to take most of the limelight.

My kids (daughter, 10 and son, 12) took to this record instantly, in fact they made off with the CD and I didn't see it for a week, by which time they seemed to have learned all the lyrics without understanding any of them.

You can listen to bits (and order the CD) at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/sergiupopa3

No duds among the songs, but my favourites at the moment are tracks 6 (the Sephardic love trilogy) and 5 (fiddle played by Sergiu's wife, who 20 years ago was an Irish fiddle student of mine!). The kids' favourites are 3 and 9 (a remix of track 4).

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal