Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: decorations for Italian tunes  (Read 910 times)

Mark Insley

decorations for Italian tunes
« on: April 14, 2014, 09:21:27 PM »

Hi all!

This Summer I am going to be playing a DG melodeon as part of the house band for the Tolethorpe Shakespeare Company's production of Taming Of The Shrew. We are going to be playing a variety of Italian pieces such Funniculu Funicula, Tippipitpso and O Sole Mio. I want to try and create a more authentic Italian sound when playing these pieces. Can advise me on any ornamentations or ideas I could put into my playing to make it sound more Italian?

Cheers!

Mark

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
Re: decorations for Italian tunes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 01:32:09 AM »

They all postdate the period the play was set in by centuries, so why does authenticity matter?  (Particularly with a calypso from 1957 written by someone who thought calypsos were Mexican and made a hit, primarily in the American market, by a singer based in Germany).
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
Re: decorations for Italian tunes
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 06:54:48 AM »

These are "popular" rather than folk dance tunes (I'm not using those words precisely, hopefully you see what I mean) so perhaps maximise cross rowing rather than the push pull on the row thing, to get a more continuous sound (I have no idea how practical that is playing this music on a DG melodeon).  Then I would say there is a certain articulation that would help, based on contrast between staccato, detached and legato in different phrases/sections with a fair bit of detached playing.  There is a you tube channel called bymarco fisarmonica where you can here a whole load of popular accordion styles that might give a feel.  Then sometimes in a tarantella (which funiculi funicula is, kind of) you might hold onto the basses for longer than ususal but whether this sounds good would depend on the balance between left and right hands.  Then finally, a very dry tuning would sound a bit odd, if you have a choice.  Bear in mind I'm a terrible player.

Edit; I just read the title of the thread... The ornament involving playing the note, then the note a tone above it, then the first note, in a triplet, is quite common.  Repeated notes, either on the beat or as a grace note just before the beat.  Bits of right hand harmony in thirds.  Maybe.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:23:04 AM by matt vrs »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal