Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Jimmy Shand number?  (Read 3707 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
A Jimmy Shand number?
« on: March 11, 2009, 06:39:35 PM »

All the talk of Sir Jimmy in another thread prompts me to ask if anybody here can shed light on the following mystery. Decades ago I learned a chirpy D-major hornpipe or barndance from Frankie Gavin's first solo record. Everybody calls it The Peacock's Feather, although I strongly suspect that is really the name of the other tune that Gavin put with it.

Here is a link to a good-enough-I-suppose transcription: http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/665

Here is the mystery. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, someone, somewhere, at least 25 years ago, explained to me that this tune was the theme music for a Scottish radio programme and was played by Jimmy Shand, and the tune crossed the sea to Ireland because musicians there listened to the radio programme in question.

Recently I have asked a load of knowledgeable people to confirm this story, but none could. Can anybody here?

Thanks in advance
Steve

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: A Jimmy Shand number?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 09:25:08 PM »

I believe I have found part of the answer in this page, linked to by Scandanian Chris in another thread: http://www.raretunes.org/performers/will-starr/

The Glasgow Highlanders played by Will Starr is obviously the progenitor of the tune I'm asking about above.

For a complete answer, does anybody know whether a) Jimmy Shand played this tune and b) it was the theme music of a radio programme?

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 11:25:57 PM »

I don't recognise the tune of the peacocks feathers, and I have heard thousands of Shands recordings and hopefully have stored most of them in my head somewhere, although not the names!

Answer for Steve

a)  Yes Glasgow Highlanders a very popular Strathspey played by most bands throughout the ages.

b) Sorry haven't a clue.  Not that I know of.
Black Shand Morino

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 11:59:14 PM »

This is where I demonstrate that I am indeed a "Respected Greybeard" - "Greybeard", anyway. Yes, "The Glasgow Highlanders" was the theme music for the BBC (Scottish Home Service) programme The McFlannels. Think "The Broons" on radio, or "The Archers" relocated to Govan.
I remember hearing it when I was about 5 years old. I'm sure it was on on a Saturday night, probably immediately before "Scottish Country Dancing".

Of course Graeme doesn't know about it - he's not old enough to remember "the wireless", far less a programme this ancient. (But I'm sure Grandfather Jim will).

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 12:08:18 AM »

my internet is wireless
Black Shand Morino

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 02:07:05 PM »

This is where I demonstrate that I am indeed a "Respected Greybeard" - "Greybeard", anyway. Yes, "The Glasgow Highlanders" was the theme music for the BBC (Scottish Home Service) programme The McFlannels. Think "The Broons" on radio, or "The Archers" relocated to Govan.
I remember hearing it when I was about 5 years old. I'm sure it was on on a Saturday night, probably immediately before "Scottish Country Dancing".

Of course Graeme doesn't know about it - he's not old enough to remember "the wireless", far less a programme this ancient. (But I'm sure Grandfather Jim will).

Bill, a thousand thanks for this invaluable and very satisfying piece of information - and the link to the splendid clip.

Graeme, obviously the Irish have mucked about a bit with the Glasgow Highlanders to turn it into the one Frankie Gavin played after the Peacock's Feather, but my hunch that PF2 is the bastard scion of GH would seem to be proven beyond doubt by the Bill's confirmation of the story I heard long ago.

Bill I'm recommending you for instant promotion to Hero Member status. I hope to meet you one day so that I can buy you a pint o' heavy, or whatever you would like to sup.  :|glug Cheers!

Steve (who spent his childhood listening to the wireless).

HallelujahAl

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 02:15:02 PM »

Bill I'm recommending you for instant promotion to Hero Member status.
Seconded!
 ;D

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 02:57:54 PM »

Bill I'm recommending you for instant promotion to Hero Member status.
Seconded!
 ;D
Aw, shucks! :|bl

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 03:35:48 PM »

This is my 250th post, does that make my beard go grey?
Black Shand Morino

Graeme

• Regular debater
  • BCC#, BC, moothie & steering wheel
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 08:44:21 PM »

This is my 250th post, does that make my beard go grey?

It starts at your temples and works its way round Graeme.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 09:24:10 PM »

Lovely clip. Thanks Bill.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal