Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sheffield Session  (Read 4264 times)

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
Sheffield Session
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:29:26 PM »

Monthly session started in the Snug at The York,  Broomhill,  Sheffield

Sundays monthly 1-3pm

Next one April 19th 2009

Mike
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

HallelujahAl

Re: Sheffield Session
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 11:57:06 AM »

DARN - Sunday afternoons, when I work! Do you know of any other sessions in the Sheffield/North Derbys area?
AL

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 01:05:41 PM »

Goodness me, that's not the place at the bottom of Crookes Hill in Broomhill is it? If it is, we generally used to avoid it like the plague as students...it must be much more civilised now! (though I had heard rumours to that effect from a Sheffield-based friend).

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 02:48:50 PM »

Goodness me, that's not the place at the bottom of Crookes Hill in Broomhill is it? If it is, we generally used to avoid it like the plague as students...it must be much more civilised now! (though I had heard rumours to that effect from a Sheffield-based friend).
Yep - that's the one!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

catie

• Northern Oak: English medieval/folk metal
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 12:06:41 PM »

Unfortunately I'm away that weekend otherwise I would definitely be there! I'll try and get to the next one. Will it be beginner friendly?!

Ellie - I used to avoid it like the plague as well when it was a horrible Scream pub but it's really nice in there now. I work in Broomhill so it's become my local  (:)

Jack's Rake

• Jack's Rake
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 10:12:01 AM »

DARN - Sunday afternoons, when I work! Do you know of any other sessions in the Sheffield/North Derbys area?
AL

Tuesday nights at Fagin's and, I believe, Wednesdays at the Barrel in Bretton, though it's been a while since I've been up so I couldn't confirm it's still going.  There are also a few rotating Thursday night sessions in the Holmfirth/Jackson Bridge area.

The York also has a songs/tunes/anything goes session on Mondays though I believe it's a bit hit & miss as to whether there will be people there.  We go down once a fortnight as, it appears, does the OP's mate(!).  This coming Monday is one such night. 

If that (a session not restricted to tunes) is your bag, then there's a nice one developing on Thursdays at the Cherry Tree on Carter Knowle Road.  This one is, at present, predominantly songs, in varying styles, but last Thursday there were 4 fiddles, 2 melodeons and a whistle there.  Tonight there will be at least 3 fiddles, 2 melodeons and a concertina.
Mark.

Le Bouebe D/G and Dinn II B/C.  Hoping, one day, to be able to actually play them.

http://www.jacksrake.co.uk

mikesamwild

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 11:25:22 AM »

This Sunday lunch 1-3 then anything goes after 3pmMay 17th.  Then every 2nd and 4th Sunday at The York.  It's nice and peaceful apart from the music!  Food and real ales.  They dish out snacks for the session participants.

it's a nice back room with hard floor and good acoustics
Mike
Mike in Sheffield

Jack's Rake

• Jack's Rake
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 11:00:16 PM »

They dish out snacks for the session participants.

Anything decent? Or, is it the bread & jam / bread & gravy (!) they give us on Mondays?
Mark.

Le Bouebe D/G and Dinn II B/C.  Hoping, one day, to be able to actually play them.

http://www.jacksrake.co.uk

mikesamwild

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 10:38:27 AM »

The scran varies, one week it was curry dip and garlic bread, the next it was hot cross buns!

The session's going well and last week we had two pipers and a ukulele as well as the usual suspects
Mike in Sheffield

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 06:36:05 AM »

Despite living in Wirral I'm in a position to session in Sheffield as daughter Dolly lives there. 

Trouble is the last time the web listed session in Fagins didn't exist. I got to something in a pub around the corner (led by a blind irishman) - had a damn good jam but it wasn't exactly folk. Could anyone please point me at a 'reasonably up to date' listing please. Ideally with 1st, 3rd etc if it's not every week (it's quite a long pedal over)!

btw I'm a bit of a menace in a hard Irish session as I tend to play 'other' tunes and even occasional 6th chords >:E  Happy with any English or European, swing stuff. If it's blues I can bring along 2 others (not that melodeonists ever get the blues LOL)! 

TIA, D3R
  _       _    _      _ 

mikesamwild

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 09:12:01 AM »

Next one on Sun 26 July  1pm
  All welcome it's going well and a nice balance of tunes and songs
Mike in Sheffield

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal