Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on this YT comment: regarding Saltarelle's  (Read 10000 times)

EastAnglianTed

• The wise wearer of the onesie
  • Castagnari Hascy-East Anglia for the win!
    • My Youtube account
Thoughts on this YT comment: regarding Saltarelle's
« on: April 24, 2014, 05:33:24 PM »

"his accordian might be brand new' but the Saltarelle has done massive damage to traditional music.
the sound is very "tinny" and weak on these modern accordians.
it will never be as good as the 9 coupler red Paolo Sopraini
it had a real heavy sound..
you could also change the tone on it.
it could also take more pressure for musicians who like to play at a faster tempo.
the Saltarelle is very light' and does not have the masculine quality of the Paolo Sopraini.
in my opinion' Sharon Shannon did some massive damage to the accordian.
she introduced the "weak" one."

This was posted on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNHvx-D00PA

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are regarding his comment...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 05:52:16 PM by EastAnglianTed »

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
Re: Thoughts on this YT comment: regarding Saltarelle's
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 05:40:02 PM »

I've never been too keen on the Saltarelle sound even though I was the first to import them into the UK back around 1987-ish.
Anyways, I thought that Sharon plays Castagnari and Hyde accordions.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 05:45:41 PM »

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are regarding his comment, is there any truth to it? Hmmm...

Ypu don't really need to ask, do you?  ;D
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 06:27:03 PM »

What do I think of Saltarelle's?  Aside from having one tattooed on my arm (http://accordeonaire.blogspot.com/2013/11/laccordeonaire-tattoo.html) ... I understand that the S brand has a checkered history, much talk of uneven production outcomes.  None of that, however, means any damage has been done to "the tradition."  Blaming Sharon Shannon for anything seems just stupid.

My Saltarelle is the joy of my life.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Lyn

• Respected Sage
Locked Saltarelle Post
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 08:57:46 AM »

Sorry, not understanding why I cannot post a reply to this post. I just want to say what utter balderdash. I have a Saltarelle Nuage in DG, a 2-row 3 voice instrument with an exquisite tone. Everyone who picks it up and plays it - including Andy Cutting at a workshop, remarks on what a beautiful sound it has. There seems to be a hatchet job going on with this make of melodeon. There may be poor examples - I defy anyone to name a make that doesn't produce a duff series. But not all of them, and remarkably, when people make a negative comment about Saltarelles, I ask what it is they don't like and it turns out they've never held one let alone played one. Lazy and ignorant bandwagon commenting.I might add that my lovely Castagnari Mory doesn't have the lovely tone of the Nuage.

Who is this miscreant who then goes on to blame Sharon Shannon for introducing the make? (If she indeed did?)
Just another opportunity for those who love to have a go at SOMETHING, ANYTHING that they don't personally own, like or can afford. Play what you want, stop knocking other people's choices, and stop making out that you have such a superior technical knowledge of - well, EVERYTHING, that you can make sweeping statements as if they are The Law.

And now good morning, I have had my rant, in response to yours.
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
Re: Locked Saltarelle Post
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 09:21:21 AM »

Without revisiting, I believe the post on here was a quote of a comment on the video on YouTube. The name of the person making the comment was included, if you scroll down below the referenced video.

I don't think the actual, somewhat opinionated ::), comment originated here, or as far as I know from anyone here.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 10:08:59 AM »

I was about to comment on the Saltarelle post earlier too when I found it had been locked. Not sure why...

Anyway, as I read it, the YouTube comment hints, in a rather heavy-handed way, at his dislike of dry tuning as opposed to the "old wet Paolo sound".

While I'm sure that this trend cannot be blamed on Saltarelle, Sharon Shannon or any one else in particular, and if that was indeed the point, then I for one must agree with that sentiment, if not in the way it was put.

While the clip in question is excellent on so many levels, and I perceive a certain degree of wetness in the tuning (?), I find that I easily tire of hearing dry tuned melodeons everywhere I look these days.

Just my 10c worth. Maybe I'm just getting old and set in my ways; perhaps I should get some advice from Marge... except that thread is locked too.... :'(
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 10:16:23 AM »

I am a fan of the Saltarelle sound. I prefer my prewar Hohners, but it's a close-run thing.
Cheers
Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

Ray

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »

...And now good morning, I have had my rant, in response to yours.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that every Saltarelle ever made isn't up to par in terms of quality - as you've said every make has its ups and downs.

However, I wouldn't say it was justifiable to suggest that every negative criticism of the brand is "lazy and ignorant bandwagon commenting". I've not really liked any Saltarelle I've tried, much in the same way I've not liked any Dino Baffeti's either, for varying reasons the boxes just don't do it for me. If the brands come up in conversation, I'm going to voice my opinion.

Also, I don't think bringing in what people can afford to spend on an instrument is fair. I can't afford a Castagnari nor a Saltarelle, that does not in any way influence how I feel about the instruments; and just because something is expensive does not make it perfect nor free from criticism.

Edited to quote post after thread merge
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:52:30 AM by YoungRay »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 10:47:10 AM »

[[admin]]

The topic wasn't locked by the mods, so I can only assume that the OP locked it.  Since there is clearly interest in responding I have now unlocked it and merged Lyn's topic with the original.

Theo

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 11:36:32 AM »

I find that I easily tire of hearing dry tuned melodeons everywhere I look these days.
That's probably because of all those people that are tired of hearing wet tuned boxes ;-)
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

EastAnglianTed

• The wise wearer of the onesie
  • Castagnari Hascy-East Anglia for the win!
    • My Youtube account
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 11:52:24 AM »

Oooops I must've done that Theo, sorry I  am a berk- it wasn't intended sorry!  :D Cheers for the unlock!

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 12:15:59 PM »

What makes me think that the person who posted on youtube has a  "9 coupler red Paolo Sopraini" (sic)  they can't sell and it's easier to blame another make for the fact that few irish musicians want these 9 coupler boxes as they are just to cumbersome to play.

TomB-R

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 12:47:23 PM »

Overstatement and dubiously generalisations are pretty typical of Youtube comments, as we all know.  To say one prefers the sound of the big old style boxes over the modern ones is fair enough. If one liked the tradition as it was, then it's a change for the worse.

Pat.

• Regular debater
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 01:13:33 PM »

I remember years ago when that big wet sound was the normal sound for Irish music ,and I love it ,but not all the time so I have both  wet 4 voice and a dry 3 voice,lucky me easily pleased. (:)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 03:01:19 PM »

I had a good go on Saltarelles at the stall in Quimper last year, and also at Ch.d'Ars in 2012. The cheaper kit wasn't fantastic, I felt Bernard Loffets offered more for the money. Up range it was pretty good, and very fast. As for tunings, I personally like a dry sound, but that is surely a matter of taste and I don't really do Irish music.

Bad mouthing Ms Shannon in this seems a bit weird. I have only heard her play penny whistle (session in Galway) and that she does .. pretty well.

She plays melodeon as well?!! :o
  _       _    _      _ 

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 03:18:07 PM »

Bad mouthing Ms Shannon in this seems a bit weird. I have only heard her play penny whistle (session in Galway) and that she does .. pretty well.

She plays melodeon as well?!! :o
Oh Chris - where have you been all this time...  ;)
Sharon Shannon is an absolute ace on a Castagnari Tommy (BC tuning I think?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsytbuFVo6E
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 04:02:03 PM »

I must admit I do love Sharon Shannon and that YT clip is great.
But do I detect that there is only one bass button or is it one White one and the others black?
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 04:14:19 PM »

But do I detect that there is only one bass button or is it one White one and the others black?
Well spotted, Nick. I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it. If you freeze the YT video at 0:28 you can indeed see that there is only one bass button. The others have all been removed. There also seems to be a fair amount of black gaffer tape on the LH end.  :o

Edit:
In this video she is playing a more modern box (note 'Cadburys'-style logo) with all the bass buttons and no gaffer tape. She still has her yellow sponge in the LH strap though!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:18:59 PM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 04:18:39 PM »

Hmmm!......why?
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal