Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on this YT comment: regarding Saltarelle's  (Read 9999 times)

triskel

Re: Thoughts on this YT comment: regarding Saltarelle's
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2014, 07:47:41 PM »

Blaming Sharon Shannon for anything seems just stupid.

OK, I confess, mea culpa, it's all my fault - I'm the one who's done massive damage to [Irish] traditional music (which is what this is all supposed to be about, isn't it?), by selling Castagnaris in Ireland 20-odd years ago, and introducing Sharon to them - just don't tell the guy on YT ;)

I'll probably burn in Hell for it now!  >:E

But please don't let them make me play a Piano Accordion when I get there...  :o

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2014, 08:36:35 PM »

You should all go out and buy " carnival float " stylee melodeons

AirTime

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2014, 09:21:16 PM »

From the other angle: I found this video of an unusually wet-tuned Mori at Liberty Bellows interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Dd2Wn4QuI

1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Malcolm

• Respected Sage
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2014, 10:18:21 PM »

I still get a lot of pleasure from playing the Berry I bought in Cleckheaton 15 or so years ago. Not too dry tuned and just the ticket for certain gigs. I certainly have no complaints about its playability or its build quality, especially when it fell down the steps of the Crooked Billet in Leigh-on-Sea many moons ago (not with me attached I hasten to add!) with naught but a bit of cosmetic damage to the joinery. But the fact that all my other boxes are Hohners of a certain age maybe says something about where my melodeonic preferences lie.....?
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (My first box). Hohner Pokerwork C/F (Thanks to Martyn White). Hohner 4 Stops in G (My Minehead Box), D & C. Hohner Erikas in D/G & Bb/Eb (Thanks to Mike Rowbottom & Martyn White). Saltarelle Berry D/G (The token Costalotti) and a G/C Hohner Corso (wetter than an English summer)

Lyra

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2014, 12:07:40 AM »

Spawn of Satan  >:E

Where can I get a sponge? Clearly that's also a thing I should have - is there a Guinness branded one yet?

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2014, 12:10:55 AM »

But speaking as a newcomer with no background baggage, I'd say there is a smattering of what you call brand snobbery - usually of the inverted kind., even from some of the very nicest venerable chaps on here.

My 'posh box' is an old rebadged Serenellini and I'm very happy with it. As a newcomer to the melodeon Lyn you may be unaware that Saltarelle is just a badge name, a French company that uses other makers to produce melodeons for them. Serenellini and Dino Bafetti have both produced instruments for Salterelle in the past and I'm not sure who is making boxes for them at present. If you post pictures of the box we may even be able to guess who made it but one thing I'm fairly certain of is that it wasn't Salterelle themselves!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

triskel

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2014, 01:02:17 AM »

Blaming Sharon Shannon for anything seems just stupid.
OK, I confess, mea culpa, it's all my fault - I'm the one who's done massive damage to [Irish] traditional music (which is what this is all supposed to be about, isn't it?), by selling Castagnaris in Ireland 20-odd years ago, and introducing Sharon to them - just don't tell the guy on YT

No, why should I take the rap?

Let's blame Tony McMahon - it's always Tony's fault!  ;)

This is "when the rot set in" - the moment that Irish box players discovered there were other accordion makers in the world, apart from Hohner and Paolo Soprani:

Joe Burke and Tony McMahon discover the new French accordions - Listowel Fleadh 1985

The French makers Bertrand Gaillard and Bruno Priez came to the All-Ireland Fleadh in 1985 to display their wares, and I've still got the price lists they gave me at the time.

It even made it onto the front cover of the Comhaltas magazine Treoir at the beginning of 1986:

And there was a short piece inside, about their coming and how Tony McMahon had produced a TV programme about them too:

So the evidence is overwhelming...

It wasn't until 1989 that Georges Roux, the founder of Saltarelle first came over, for the Fleadh in Kilkenny, and I met him then - I think I've still got that catalogue somewhere as well.

gettabettabox

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2014, 01:09:37 AM »

squirm as you might....it's very clear from your own admissions...that you are fully implicated in this whole, sad process.
trying to make them sound like concertinas... ?...I think not sir.

triskel

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2014, 01:30:36 AM »

squirm as you might....it's very clear from your own admissions...that you are fully implicated in this whole, sad process.
trying to make them sound like concertinas... ?...I think not sir.

;D My own feeling on that score has always been "if I want a concertina sound, I'll play my concertina - they do it much better!"

But I remember the first time I ever heard Sharon Shannon was in London, when she was visiting as the new teenage "whizz-kid" on the box, and she was playing a 2-coupler Paolo Soprani back in those days, with all but one set of reeds taped off - so maybe the buck passes back to herself again...  :D

triskel

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2014, 01:35:51 AM »

Where can I get a sponge? Clearly that's also a thing I should have - is there a Guinness branded one yet?

Only a "roll-your-own" one:

Noodle

• Louder is better, right?
  • Regular debater
  • Occasionally actually helpful
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2014, 04:14:12 AM »

Gosh, that's a rather high horse he's riding! I respect the author's opinions for having them, but completely disagree with them and his tone.

There, that was pretty painless. Now, should he appear on this open minded, easy going forum, I wonder if he'd show me and other folk the same courtesy. Since that's probably unlikely to happen, is it worth worrying about his comments? I'm sure Sharon Shannon wouldn't lose sleep over the accusations, especially with the crowds and respect she draws with her TV and radio appearances... The sound of her boxes don't seem to be doing the "trad Irish" music scene any harm.
Nottingham, UK.

Hohners: HA114 (C), HA114 (G)*, Liliput (C/F), Preciosa (C/F)*, 1040 (G), Imperial. Dino Baffetti Binci III (D/G), Self-made Pariselle 2.6 (G/C), Soberano (C/F), Nopka garmoshka (F#)*.

One day I'll get really good, like those really good players. One day.
*to be fixed

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2014, 12:40:27 PM »

Considering how catholic Ms Shannon is in her choice of musical sources (ITM being the main one, but by no means the only one).  I respect the man's opinion, but wish he recognized that that is all it is - his own (stupid) opinion.  We used to have a "rule" that only Hohners were to be played for our Border side and it produced a great sound by which many recognized our side blindfold (we dance better that way).  Of late, convenience and more complex tunes have led us to use our favourite "posh" boxes.  We still enjoy it...

Rob.

AirTime

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2014, 04:25:13 PM »

This is "when the rot set in" - the moment that Irish box players discovered there were other accordion makers in the world, apart from Hohner and Paolo Soprani:

But I remember the first time I ever heard Sharon Shannon was in London, when she was visiting as the new teenage "whizz-kid" on the box, and she was playing a 2-coupler Paolo Soprani back in those days, with all but one set of reeds taped off

It's a fascinating process - how "taste" changes over time. What prompted Sharon to tape off the reeds in the Soprani (surely the worst of all possible worlds in terms of efficiency)?
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Prestidigitator

• Respected Sage
  • Saltarelle, Hohner, Oakwood Baffetti
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2014, 05:32:12 PM »

I have an older Saltarelle L'Elfique. Despite many years of owning other Saltarelles, Castagnaris, Hohners, and whatever besides, I like it well enough, and oft-times it produces the music I want from it.

Generally speaking, I think I'm more concerned about my playing than the label on the box I'm torturing at the time. For a long while, between about 1960-something and 1985-ish, I didn't know that there were "brands available"  other than Hohner.

Most good players can make at least "half a silk purse" of any old "sow's ear" box.

Gary

• Respected Sage
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2014, 05:34:25 PM »

I started with a new Pokerwork Hohner  DG and found I made better progress after Theo tweaked it for me. Then I tried a dryer tuned Sandpiper box at Whitby and loved the sound. It was 5 years later that i took the plunge and bought a new Sandpiper DA .The contrast in sound is great in sessions and to me thats whats important as well as the playing action.  Having the choice of 2 boxes is great.I between I did own a BC Hohner but could not get on with it.

triskel

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2014, 06:09:09 PM »

But I remember the first time I ever heard Sharon Shannon was in London, when she was visiting as the new teenage "whizz-kid" on the box, and she was playing a 2-coupler Paolo Soprani back in those days, with all but one set of reeds taped off
It's a fascinating process - how "taste" changes over time. What prompted Sharon to tape off the reeds in the Soprani (surely the worst of all possible worlds in terms of efficiency)?

I can only assume that it gave her the "concertina" sound she felt she wanted, but the Paolo was the box she had at the time. It was only after that, and until I sold her the Castagnaris, that I saw her playing Hohners.

But (irony of ironies!) when I sold her a Lilly - which would have seemed the perfect box for her - she found she was breaking its single reeds too easily and got rid of it. But she didn't have that problem with the Tommy, and the rest is history.

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2014, 06:22:08 PM »

Has the whole bass end been cut down, there hardly looks room for reed blocks?
Tony S

triskel

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2014, 02:47:22 AM »

But I remember the first time I ever heard Sharon Shannon was in London, when she was visiting as the new teenage "whizz-kid" on the box, and she was playing a 2-coupler Paolo Soprani back in those days, with all but one set of reeds taped off - so maybe the buck passes back to herself again...  :D

And tonight a film clip of Sharon playing that 2-coupler Paolo Soprani has turned up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7TVNo4dCW0&feature=youtu.be

ACE

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2014, 06:58:17 AM »

A soprani in the wrong hands can also do massive damage to traditional music. I expect the writer of the statement is such a player and was 'blasted' in his own mind at a session by a salterelle in the right hands.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2014, 02:02:21 PM »

I had a Berry for some 20 years , and liked it for band use at the time...it stood up to a fair amount of hammer and was very responsive.  As many of you know, I lost it in a burglary...but was in no hurry to replace it with another Saltarelle...choosing a vintage Hohner as it suits what I play and how I play it...rumpty tumpty southern plodder style.  And I was finding it a tad heavy for an evening's band work these days if I'm honest

I also have a 4 stop in D I think they called the Cajun (bought a year after the Berry)...it;s a joy to play and will ride roughshod over most sessions...but she's not getting the outings she deserves.

horses for courses I

Now, if we could all look at the Lemmie Brazil stuff and start a 1040 revival... :||:
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal