Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the way to do it?  (Read 6986 times)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
What's the way to do it?
« on: March 14, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »

I have a tune I would like to identify, but I have only a large mp3, which is too big to attach to a posting here. How can I get round this please?
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Groovebox

Re: What's the way to do it?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 09:52:06 PM »

possibly, you could put it in an audio editor (get a free one like audacity) size it down to just enough you need to show, and export it as an mp3.

or you could write it out in abc or something....
my hohner hasnt broken for 2 weeks!!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 10:08:54 PM »

I have a tune I would like to identify, but I have only a large mp3, which is too big to attach to a posting here. How can I get round this please?

If you can't manipulate it and it ain't to big email it to me and I will fettle it. Tell me how big and I will send my email address.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 08:48:45 AM »

If you can't manipulate it and it ain't to big email it to me and I will fettle it. Tell me how big and I will send my email address.

Better still post it one of the free file hosting services on the web, eg soundlantern, and post a link here.  Uploads on this forum are limited to 256k for each individual file.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 08:35:23 PM »

Thanks everybody. I'm going on holiday tomorrow, so I'm printing off all this and will take action on my return. Beware!  >:D  ;D
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 10:10:39 AM »

I am back nw and have managed to load my tune now to ONM under the title "Irish Polka" at http://www.onmvoice.com/play/4564 Can anyone help (pretty) please????
Thank you all.
I'm a Yorkie!

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 10:28:20 PM »

I see I haven't managed to improve my spelling thgh!  :o
I'm a Yorkie!

Tony Gibbons

• Good talker
  • Play D/G, C/C#, B/C/C#, run Barn-dance band
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 10:20:11 PM »

Hi Ebor_fiddler

Cannot help you with the name of the tune but I know it well and play it as part of a group of polka's under the name "Fish & Taters". That is how it came to me. Here it is in all it's glory on 'The Session' website.
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/2928

Hope that is of some help and interest.

TG

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 11:18:49 PM »

Thanks Tony, it is indeed "Fish and Taters" - my original recording is by The Rakes at the annual EFDSS bash in (I think) 1965 and all these three tunes are played together as "Three Irish Polkas".
Thanks again to everyone else.

Chris.
I'm a Yorkie!

Tony Gibbons

• Good talker
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 11:43:48 PM »

Hi Chris.
I'm not surprised that the Rakes played it. I've never heard them doing so. During the 70's I dance to them on a regular basis at a pub in Guildford. 'The Wooden Bridge Ceilidh Club' was the venue.
I learnt the set from a mandolin playing friend back in the late 60's. They were the first Irish Polkas I ever learnt and at that time on penny whistle and my wife and I started playing them as a duet at folk clubs. me on penny whistle and she on recorder. We still play them (somewhat briskly, this time on box) joined by our rhythm player on bodhran. It gives him a chance to show off. 

TG

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 09:10:55 PM »

I hope you issued him with the session-approved razor-bladed beater?
I'm a Yorkie!

Jake Middleton (brinwins)

• Regular debater
  • Concertina Maker and repairer
    • Wolverton Concertinas
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 11:59:59 PM »

have you ever heard of shazam? you can identify any known recording. More infomation here: http://www.shazam.com/music/web/home.html

Tony Gibbons

• Good talker
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 09:36:53 PM »

Hi Ebor

Do I sense a smidgin of animosity towards bodhran players?

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 04:33:17 PM »

What's a smidgin?
I'm a Yorkie!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 04:51:12 PM »

Hi Ebor

What!  :o Surely not, how can anyone take offence it such a simple drum, especially since the vast majority of bodhran players are very good and always play nearly in time. ;D
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

mrjulian

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 05:19:12 PM »

Hi Ebor

What!  :o Surely not, how can anyone take offence it such a simple drum, especially since the vast majority of bodhran players are very good and always play nearly in time. ;D
and quietly!
Couple of Hohners, couple of Castagnari, soviet era Bayan, duet concertina and several boxes of bits!

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 05:28:26 PM »

What's a smidgin?
Just a wee bit.

As for bodhran "players" - here we go again . . .  just substitute "bodhran" for "banjo" and you get the idea . . . (:)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 11:54:51 PM »

What's a smidgin?

Translated into Dales dialect, a smidgin is a lahl bit.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 01:58:26 PM »

Oh, ah see  .. They think ah doon't laake bowrun foaks, tha thinks? T'foaks 's allreet, bur i's them washin' up bowls they bray Ah can't bide.
I'm a Yorkie!

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 04:50:06 PM »

I think that the bodran is a fantastic instrument when played well, but sadly like the saxophone and a number of others it sounds terrible if a relative n00b attempts to play it in public.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal