Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Arthur's Seat  (Read 7366 times)

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
Arthur's Seat
« on: March 15, 2009, 07:02:58 PM »

Since we had a discussion about this splendid tune on another thread, here it is again:

-- MP3 as played by Sir Jimmy

-- PDF of the notation -- written out as 12/8 so it plays like a dotted hornpipe in the music notation program I use

And it *can* be played on a 2-row D/G with accidentals, honest...

Ian
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

HallelujahAl

Re: Arthur's Seat
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 07:23:44 PM »

Ian , thanks for these - all I can say is its going to take me a long long time to be able to play this tune on my D/G. I'm still searching for the low B naturals (which is very good advice by the way) ;D
Thanks
AL

oh why, oh why can't I play like Sir Jimmy?

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 09:00:55 PM »

Ian - thanks for the dots. Does the great man play this tune in B in the clip?

Mike
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 12:48:19 AM »

In C I think.

It is possible to play, certainly, whether I will be able to play it will have to wait until the morning...
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:33:14 PM »

In C I think.

It is possible to play, certainly, whether I will be able to play it will have to wait until the morning...

The recording sounds closest to B, which I guess is an unlikely key -- Scott Skinner's original manuscript was in Bb, so given the unreliable pitch of 78s I wouldn't be surprised if that's what JS was playing in. Or it could have been an even less reliable C, of course...

Ian
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 01:42:24 PM »

Ian - thanks for the dots. Does the great man play this tune in B in the clip?

Mike

I could post the playable NWC notation file (tiny, only 1kB) as well if this file type (.nwc) was permitted -- the editor is shareware but the player is freeware:

http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/

Or I can email it to anyone if they're interested.

Ian

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 01:58:01 PM »

And now the ABC...

Ian

X:2
T:Arthur's Seat
C:J. Scott Skinner
Q:3/4=80
I:abc2nwc
M:12/8
L:1/8
K:G
def|:g2d B2G F2G D2C|B,B,B, D2G B2d g2d|
^c2d =c2d B2d A2d|G2d F2d E2d D2d|
g2d B2G F2G D2C|B,B,B, D2G B2d g2d|^c2d e2d =c2A F2d|
[1G3{f}g3G3def:|[2G3{f}g3G3^d3
|:e2^d e2B c2B c2A|d2^c d2^A B2A B2G|
c2B c2^G A2G A2=G|F2A d2^c d2^d e2f|
g2d B2G F2G D2C|B,B,B, D2G B2d g2d|^c2d e2d =c2A F2d|
[1G3{f}g3G3^d3:|[2G3{f}g3G3def|]

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 02:15:03 PM »

I could post the playable NWC notation file (tiny, only 1kB) as well if this file type (.nwc) was permitted -- the editor is shareware but the player is freeware:

http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/

nwc added to list of permitted file types
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 04:37:11 PM »

http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/viewer.htm

nwc added to list of permitted file types

Thanks Theo -- so here it is...

Ian

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 05:05:09 PM »

Well, it is playable, although the B part is a little tricky in places, but I don't have a low C on  my box :(
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Gav

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 05:22:50 PM »

I loaded it into my Cubase studio just for fun and it falls slightly flatter in C - than sharper in B.
Allowing for speed variables during recording -vinyl to tape etc, He could be in either key.
I'm a real beginner so I don't know much, but if he played BCC# - couldn't he have played comfortably in B or C?

Gav

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 05:41:14 PM »

Well, it is playable, although the B part is a little tricky in places, but I don't have a low C on  my box :(

So get one fitted on the lowest G row button on pull -- it opens up a whole new world of tune possibilities :-)

Ian

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 05:50:02 PM »

I loaded it into my Cubase studio just for fun and it falls slightly flatter in C - than sharper in B.
Allowing for speed variables during recording -vinyl to tape etc, He could be in either key.
I'm a real beginner so I don't know much, but if he played BCC# - couldn't he have played comfortably in B or C?

Gav

Probably -- does anyone know what box he was playing in 1935? (I don't think the "Shand Morino" existed then, but the BCC# did)

Ian

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 09:11:27 PM »

So get one fitted on the lowest G row button on pull -- it opens up a whole new world of tune possibilities :-)

Ian

You mean my high Eb? I presume you do, since I wouldn't give away my one pull D for love or money :P Well, I don't use the Eb at all much, so it might be worth doing...

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 11:13:23 PM »

Ian

You mean my high Eb? I presume you do, since I wouldn't give away my one pull D for love or money :P Well, I don't use the Eb at all much, so it might be worth doing...

No I meant the pull D, I've found I don't really miss it since you have the push D with the D chord on the D row.

I use *all* the accidentals on one tune or another, I feel it's better to have notes that you wouldn't otherwise have (like the low C) at the cost of losing a duplicate note (the D) rather than a unique note (the Eb) -- you can always do without a duplicate, but if you don't have a note you can't play a tune that needs it.

Ian

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 04:04:12 AM »

Ian

No I meant the pull D, I've found I don't really miss it since you have the push D with the D chord on the D row.

I use *all* the accidentals on one tune or another, I feel it's better to have notes that you wouldn't otherwise have (like the low C) at the cost of losing a duplicate note (the D) rather than a unique note (the Eb) -- you can always do without a duplicate, but if you don't have a note you can't play a tune that needs it.

Ian

Nah, see I love my pull D. I use it all the time, improves the fluency when going cross row that end of the box no end. Worth it just for the ease in the common "D, E, F#" triplet at the beginning of many tunes. I'm lazy at heart and having a pull D requires much less effort than not. I do use my Eb from time to time, but it isn't that often that it is worth doing so, as opposed to just missing out the offending note. I use the G# most of my standard accidentals.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 10:55:48 AM »

Nah, see I love my pull D. I use it all the time, improves the fluency when going cross row that end of the box no end. Worth it just for the ease in the common "D, E, F#" triplet at the beginning of many tunes. I'm lazy at heart and having a pull D requires much less effort than not. I do use my Eb from time to time, but it isn't that often that it is worth doing so, as opposed to just missing out the offending note. I use the G# most of my standard accidentals.

It also gives you the ability to play a D7 chord on the right hand.

But you can have both with the scale starting on the 4th button.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 12:24:52 PM »

Theo,
do you have a preferred 4th button start layout for the D/G 8 bass box?
aka malodeon

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 12:54:09 PM »

I have had my Tommy changed to be a 21 button version of THIS with the two highest (tone) buttons missing. I have also had the F#/C# highest button on the D row reversed so as to give me the F# in the correct direction for the G row. Gives you a low chord of D on the pull and the missing low B for playing in D. If I could spare the time/cash I would have my l'elfique modded as well.

My Liliput is also the same layout (I think)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:56:20 PM by Lester »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »

Theo,
do you have a preferred 4th button start layout for the D/G 8 bass box?

Not really, it depends on who is playing, and on their repertoire and playing style.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal