Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Arthur's Seat  (Read 5907 times)

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
Arthur's Seat
« on: March 15, 2009, 07:02:58 PM »

Since we had a discussion about this splendid tune on another thread, here it is again:

-- MP3 as played by Sir Jimmy

-- PDF of the notation -- written out as 12/8 so it plays like a dotted hornpipe in the music notation program I use

And it *can* be played on a 2-row D/G with accidentals, honest...

Ian
Oakwood Model 4, Castagnari Dony, Castagnari Tommy, Baffetti Binci, Hohner Preciosa, Melos, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

HallelujahAl

Re: Arthur's Seat
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 07:23:44 PM »

Ian , thanks for these - all I can say is its going to take me a long long time to be able to play this tune on my D/G. I'm still searching for the low B naturals (which is very good advice by the way) ;D
Thanks
AL

oh why, oh why can't I play like Sir Jimmy?

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 09:00:55 PM »

Ian - thanks for the dots. Does the great man play this tune in B in the clip?

Mike
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 12:48:19 AM »

In C I think.

It is possible to play, certainly, whether I will be able to play it will have to wait until the morning...
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:33:14 PM »

In C I think.

It is possible to play, certainly, whether I will be able to play it will have to wait until the morning...

The recording sounds closest to B, which I guess is an unlikely key -- Scott Skinner's original manuscript was in Bb, so given the unreliable pitch of 78s I wouldn't be surprised if that's what JS was playing in. Or it could have been an even less reliable C, of course...

Ian
Oakwood Model 4, Castagnari Dony, Castagnari Tommy, Baffetti Binci, Hohner Preciosa, Melos, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 01:42:24 PM »

Ian - thanks for the dots. Does the great man play this tune in B in the clip?

Mike

I could post the playable NWC notation file (tiny, only 1kB) as well if this file type (.nwc) was permitted -- the editor is shareware but the player is freeware:

http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/

Or I can email it to anyone if they're interested.

Ian

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 01:58:01 PM »

And now the ABC...

Ian

X:2
T:Arthur's Seat
C:J. Scott Skinner
Q:3/4=80
I:abc2nwc
M:12/8
L:1/8
K:G
def|:g2d B2G F2G D2C|B,B,B, D2G B2d g2d|
^c2d =c2d B2d A2d|G2d F2d E2d D2d|
g2d B2G F2G D2C|B,B,B, D2G B2d g2d|^c2d e2d =c2A F2d|
[1G3{f}g3G3def:|[2G3{f}g3G3^d3
|:e2^d e2B c2B c2A|d2^c d2^A B2A B2G|
c2B c2^G A2G A2=G|F2A d2^c d2^d e2f|
g2d B2G F2G D2C|B,B,B, D2G B2d g2d|^c2d e2d =c2A F2d|
[1G3{f}g3G3^d3:|[2G3{f}g3G3def|]

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 02:15:03 PM »

I could post the playable NWC notation file (tiny, only 1kB) as well if this file type (.nwc) was permitted -- the editor is shareware but the player is freeware:

http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/

nwc added to list of permitted file types
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 04:37:11 PM »

http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/viewer.htm

nwc added to list of permitted file types

Thanks Theo -- so here it is...

Ian

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 05:05:09 PM »

Well, it is playable, although the B part is a little tricky in places, but I don't have a low C on  my box :(
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Gav

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 05:22:50 PM »

I loaded it into my Cubase studio just for fun and it falls slightly flatter in C - than sharper in B.
Allowing for speed variables during recording -vinyl to tape etc, He could be in either key.
I'm a real beginner so I don't know much, but if he played BCC# - couldn't he have played comfortably in B or C?

Gav

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 05:41:14 PM »

Well, it is playable, although the B part is a little tricky in places, but I don't have a low C on  my box :(

So get one fitted on the lowest G row button on pull -- it opens up a whole new world of tune possibilities :-)

Ian

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 05:50:02 PM »

I loaded it into my Cubase studio just for fun and it falls slightly flatter in C - than sharper in B.
Allowing for speed variables during recording -vinyl to tape etc, He could be in either key.
I'm a real beginner so I don't know much, but if he played BCC# - couldn't he have played comfortably in B or C?

Gav

Probably -- does anyone know what box he was playing in 1935? (I don't think the "Shand Morino" existed then, but the BCC# did)

Ian

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 09:11:27 PM »

So get one fitted on the lowest G row button on pull -- it opens up a whole new world of tune possibilities :-)

Ian

You mean my high Eb? I presume you do, since I wouldn't give away my one pull D for love or money :P Well, I don't use the Eb at all much, so it might be worth doing...

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 11:13:23 PM »

Ian

You mean my high Eb? I presume you do, since I wouldn't give away my one pull D for love or money :P Well, I don't use the Eb at all much, so it might be worth doing...

No I meant the pull D, I've found I don't really miss it since you have the push D with the D chord on the D row.

I use *all* the accidentals on one tune or another, I feel it's better to have notes that you wouldn't otherwise have (like the low C) at the cost of losing a duplicate note (the D) rather than a unique note (the Eb) -- you can always do without a duplicate, but if you don't have a note you can't play a tune that needs it.

Ian

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 04:04:12 AM »

Ian

No I meant the pull D, I've found I don't really miss it since you have the push D with the D chord on the D row.

I use *all* the accidentals on one tune or another, I feel it's better to have notes that you wouldn't otherwise have (like the low C) at the cost of losing a duplicate note (the D) rather than a unique note (the Eb) -- you can always do without a duplicate, but if you don't have a note you can't play a tune that needs it.

Ian

Nah, see I love my pull D. I use it all the time, improves the fluency when going cross row that end of the box no end. Worth it just for the ease in the common "D, E, F#" triplet at the beginning of many tunes. I'm lazy at heart and having a pull D requires much less effort than not. I do use my Eb from time to time, but it isn't that often that it is worth doing so, as opposed to just missing out the offending note. I use the G# most of my standard accidentals.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 10:55:48 AM »

Nah, see I love my pull D. I use it all the time, improves the fluency when going cross row that end of the box no end. Worth it just for the ease in the common "D, E, F#" triplet at the beginning of many tunes. I'm lazy at heart and having a pull D requires much less effort than not. I do use my Eb from time to time, but it isn't that often that it is worth doing so, as opposed to just missing out the offending note. I use the G# most of my standard accidentals.

It also gives you the ability to play a D7 chord on the right hand.

But you can have both with the scale starting on the 4th button.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 12:24:52 PM »

Theo,
do you have a preferred 4th button start layout for the D/G 8 bass box?
aka malodeon

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 12:54:09 PM »

I have had my Tommy changed to be a 21 button version of THIS with the two highest (tone) buttons missing. I have also had the F#/C# highest button on the D row reversed so as to give me the F# in the correct direction for the G row. Gives you a low chord of D on the pull and the missing low B for playing in D. If I could spare the time/cash I would have my l'elfique modded as well.

My Liliput is also the same layout (I think)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:56:20 PM by Lester »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »

Theo,
do you have a preferred 4th button start layout for the D/G 8 bass box?

Not really, it depends on who is playing, and on their repertoire and playing style.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.