Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice needed - Bass Strap issues...  (Read 6238 times)

Howie

Re: Advice needed - Bass Strap issues...
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 07:30:44 PM »

Thanks rob
All done ,just moved the postion of the strap retaining screws inside the base compartment.
If someone had slightly bigger hands it probably would not be enough and a longer strap would be necessary
But is ok for me
Back to winster gallop
Thanks for your help
Howie

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 10:20:46 PM »

To add my penny worth, try and keep bellows movement to a minimum ( they should be hardly open) by frequent use of air button, especially after a series of notes on the pull OR even better learn to play cross row so that you are minimising the change in bellows direction, which is what puts strain on the Left Hand. ideally learn to combine the two techniques, which are a bit contradictory.

Full extended bellows with massive movements should be left to the professionals who are doing a stage performance and arms toughened by many years of playing, although I will admit to doing the same myself when playing out for Morris Sides when a bit of theatre is needed.

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 08:59:11 AM »

If i was you i would try to keep your thumb resting on  ( not pushing on ) the air button at all times. It maynot help your problem, but in the long run will help bellows control. Well i reckon anyway....

Spot on. That will also give you the correct hand position.
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 11:23:32 PM »

@Ben: I was in exactly your position with my first box - A Scarlatti D/G. Almost the first thing I did was to adjust the bass hand strap by removing the two screws at the top and their associated bit of metal (technical term - sorry!). I then worked out the necessary length to suit my hand and pierced holes in the strap to suit this, replacing the aforesaid metal parts.  :Ph This gave me great improvement for my left hand use, both for basses and the magic (or "air") button as well.
Aslo I agree with the comments made by George and Pikey.

Good Luck!

Chris.

:neigh:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Aldina

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 11:28:41 AM »

Don't know if this would help, but I noticed that Sharon Shannon usually plays with a kind of a pillow between her left hand and her melodeon, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaB3Tes7QG4
I don't know the reason why she uses it, and if other players do the same, but it looks that it could improve on comfort for left hand
Aldina
Lisbon in Portugal

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 12:37:07 PM »

Aldina, she uses it to stop her hand slipping up to the top of the bass strap. At this point it's then difficult to reach and use the bottom bass buttons.
My hand used to slip too, but careful adjustment of the bass strap, and possibly more importantly, relaxing so the bellows droop slightly at the bass end as opposed to ridgidly keeping them level has solved my problem without the need of a pad such as Sharon uses.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal