Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon making with Emmanuel Pariselle  (Read 21326 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Melodeon making with Emmanuel Pariselle
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2014, 05:45:54 PM »

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder......?  :o

External auditary meatus, please!

We are scientists ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2014, 05:52:44 PM »

;D
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2014, 05:59:21 PM »

I'd rather not, but there were 3 rows of holes all in the wrong place, so while the saw was set up for inlaying (which I had decided against) the slots were cut, the veneers cut from some reject walnut, glued and then sanded all in about 10 minutes, by Emmanuel. My shame masked but not well enough.
I see, It looks fine, we're the holes smaller as the slot is not as wide as hole?
That is why I wondered to begin with.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Graham Collicutt

• Regular debater
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2014, 06:11:03 PM »

It was the pilot holes drilled through the jig which had a pencil mark on the bottom which was easier to see than the correct mark on the top.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 07:06:14 PM by Graham Collicutt »

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2014, 06:25:54 PM »

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder......?  :o

External auditory meatus, please!

Perception of beauty is more likely in the lump of wetware at the other end of the auditory nerve, if we want to be pedantic...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

mory

« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2014, 06:39:07 PM »

Quote from Ian Dedic "
As you say the chimney could filter some of the higher reed harmonics giving a more mellow tone -- but it could also peak before cutoff giving a nasty nasal tone, who knows...

my response was to your "who knows"  Ian and the idea that these boxes could have a "nasty nasal tone"  and those who do know responded in response, namely Theo and Martyn
AtB mory     no need to respond Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:41:52 PM by mory »

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2014, 06:52:48 PM »

may I repeat my plea for some actual measurements if we are to call it "science". Otherwise I believe the proper term is "empyricism", though I can live with assertions like "the tuner's art" :) I'd certainly never tune my own kit with an oscilloscope ;)

though I AM interested in comparative FFT spectra of eg small v deep chambers; similar reeds with(out) the chimney, etc, etc. Then we can all theorise on the basis of a few facts.
  _       _    _      _ 

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2014, 11:03:58 PM »

Quote from Ian Dedic "
As you say the chimney could filter some of the higher reed harmonics giving a more mellow tone -- but it could also peak before cutoff giving a nasty nasal tone, who knows...

my response was to your "who knows"  Ian and the idea that these boxes could have a "nasty nasal tone"  and those who do know responded in response, namely Theo and Martyn
AtB mory     no need to respond Thanks.

I wasn't suggesting Emmanuel's boxes had a nasty nasal tone! But with any holes or chambers forming a resonator there's a risk of this, it certainly happens on the bass end of my Oakwood (and goes away if you take the end cover off, but the sound is then too bright) -- which shows that not all good makers get it right all the time, and that it's difficult building an acoustic lowpass filter to "mellow" the sound which doesn't have a peak near cutoff, as you'd expect if you know how such filters work.

And to answer Chris's request, I did measure the spectrum years ago with and without the cover on and found a resonant peak around (IIRC, haven't got the results) 700Hz, hence the "honk". When I mic it up over the PA, I use a sweepable mid cut to get rid of this which helps the sound considerably.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:11:25 PM by IanD »
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2014, 11:18:53 PM »

Audacity has a rectum paralyser spectrum analyser function, IIRC. Not real time, wonder if it's good enough for this kind of measurement???
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2014, 11:31:24 PM »

Audacity has a rectum paralyser spectrum analyser function, IIRC. Not real time, wonder if it's good enough for this kind of measurement???

There's plenty of software available now to do this for free -- in the old days I had to borrow a Rohde & Schwarz audio analyser from work which was worth more than a new car...
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2014, 11:43:04 PM »

Completely separate question - did Nick's new one-row get dismantled, as threatened? Or is it still intact?
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2014, 07:44:52 AM »

Not sure Malcolm, but it nearly got nicked ..... until he saw me heading for the car  ;)
Never tried a one row.....but it was really nice, and beautifully made.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2014, 07:55:28 AM »

Luckily, I had tied Q's shoelaces together so it was easy to catch him, even with a pint in me hands.
  And yes Malcolm ,it was taken apart. Emmanuel leapt on the Albrecht as soon as it was out of its box.
He was impressed, likewise Theo.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

911377brian

« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2014, 08:26:48 AM »

Are'nt the Albrechts amazing little brutes Nick? Makes me feel like a not too awful player whenever I pick it up. Praise from Emmanuel is a real seal of approval... :||: ;D

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2014, 08:31:15 AM »

Absolutely Brian, Emmanuel stuck his head inside, played some amazing tunes and said. " oui, very good" and that was good enough for me. ;D

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2014, 01:37:58 PM »

" Luckily, I had tied Q's shoelaces together so it was easy to catch him, even with a pint in me hands....."
Argh.... curses, foiled again  ::)
( thinks: 'must hatch up a better plan next time.....)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2014, 12:51:59 AM »

Just returned from the pleasure of calling in on the current 'self build batch in progress' at Stowmarket, to collect my latest MAD addition - the very red ClubIII M recently advertised by one Theo of this parish, who was hard at work at the tuning bench but kindly showed me around the workshop where numerous industrious builders were in various stages of completion* of some very beautiful one rows in Walnut - all displaying excellent workmanship and will doubtless provide their builders with years of satisfaction and pleasure. Despite apparently being in more places at once than one M. Pariselle had time for a few words, which was much appreciated, Katie H and several others (who I think were helping rather than builders) all seem to have had a pretty intense time so far. Thanks all for your hospitality.

My return North to Gods Own County on what can only be described as a perfect Autumn afternoon (the sort of light and colours which always makes me think of dear old Constable a few miles further south) was blessed with almost no traffic  (:)

*the vendors of midnight oil in Stowmarket might find a customer or two later on but trick or treaters would be well advised to give the school a wide berth

BTW Thanks for the heads up email regarding building entry Theo, I just got it - wouldn't have been a problem anyway as my return was via a steam boiler needing inverting and having some tubes burned out - I had me Chain blocks, big crowbars, gas axe and bottles in the back of the car everything the locksmith, or indeed the Club111 bass end tuner needs  ;)
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2014, 08:11:14 AM »

We visited the Stowmarket course on Tuesday afternoon and stayed for a few tunes in the evning chez Howson. I had a go on Katie's new/old junk shop 1-row with new Italian reeds and RH action - a lovely player. I ventured the opinion that Mary's Albrecht might benefit from being LMH instead of LMM (especially as she doesn't like the tremolo sound) and seconds later Emannuel had the box apart and was chopping bits of wood for packing the reed blocks to accommodate the smaller reeds (ofwhich he had a set just lying around) and completing the job only had to be postponed till the next day for lack of a soldering iron for waxing the new reeds in. Job done now, and the Albrecht has the option of a nice bright sheen on its sound.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2014, 11:24:56 AM »

Emmanuel is astonishing, the way he does that. He has the confidence to start something like that mod, and see it through and get over any issues along the way.

Katie Howson

• Regular debater
« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2014, 12:23:30 PM »

It was great to have my new/old box appreciated so much! Emmanuel rebuilt the right hand end and put in Binci a Mano reeds a couple of years ago, but I have to confess to neglecting it a bit, but hearing it played by several other people last week (thanks Anahata and Paul particularly) has reminded me what a lovely bright and light box it is. New bellows straps fitted this week and it's going to get plenty of outings now!

The Albrecht sounded great. Emmanuel actually waxed in the reeds in our spare bedroom before breakfast!

Despite having organised five one-row building courses now, I haven't built a melodeon myself (I really really REALLY lack the patience to work on such meticulous tasks with wood, metal, glue and tools and I wouldn't want to embarrass myself by throwing a wobbly in public!) but I have seen Emmanuel modify and fix all sorts of issues. He's an inspiration to all but the most severely woodwork-phobic people like myself.

Theo and I were discussing tuning issues at the course, and I'd like to repeat on here what I said to him: what a huge influence MELNET has been since we ran the first course in 2007 - people are SO much better informed about tuning matters these days. Just what the internet does best.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal