Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon making with Emmanuel Pariselle  (Read 21327 times)

Chris Brimley

Re: Melodeon making with Emmanuel Pariselle
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2014, 05:15:08 PM »

Really beautiful boxes - What choices did everyone make on keyboard layouts?

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2014, 05:34:40 PM »

Hmm. Thereby hangs a tale. We had quite a debate about the efficacy of Lester's layout, which some of us chose. Theo might like to comment.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2014, 05:41:48 PM »

Hmm. Thereby hangs a tale. We had quite a debate about the efficacy of Lester's layout, which some of us chose. Theo might like to comment.

I like it  ;)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2014, 05:58:13 PM »

But you are a one or two row player Lester, not a 2.5 row multi bass player.  I know you have one, but it's not your main squeeze is it?  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2014, 06:06:23 PM »

But you are a one or two row player Lester, not a 2.5 row multi bass player.  I know you have one, but it's not your main squeeze is it?  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are right, but I made the layout up for me, I'm kind of surprised that it seems to have taken on a life of its own.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2014, 06:08:26 PM »

The finished boxes.

Not sure about the red or green buttons  :o

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2014, 07:06:52 PM »

You are right, but I made the layout up for me, I'm kind of surprised that it seems to have taken on a life of its own.

Perhaps you could make that clear if you are asked to advise?  There was a certain amount of re-arranging of reeds that went on in Yeovil last week.  Probably best if people building boxes are steered towards layouts that have been devised by those who play them as their main instrument.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2014, 07:18:10 PM »

Perhaps you could make that clear if you are asked to advise?  There was a certain amount of re-arranging of reeds that went on in Yeovil last week.  Probably best if people building boxes are steered towards layouts that have been devised by those who play them as their main instrument.

Don't remember having any conversations with people on this course. I shall refrain from giving opinions in future.

911377brian

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2014, 07:38:26 PM »

No Lester, DO'NT refrain from giving opinions in the future! They've often been of use to me and they have the added value of lacking bullshit...

Chris Brimley

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2014, 09:28:03 PM »

Whoa, chaps! - I was seeking elucidation, not altercation, honest!  I'd no idea it was touchy.

(Actually my motivation was in idly wondering whether there might be one or two of these nice boxes around for sale at some future point or other, and if so what they might be like from my standpoint.)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
  _       _    _      _ 

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2014, 09:55:03 PM »

The finished boxes.

Not sure about the red or green buttons  :o

Ha ha. The red or green buttons can be changed on a whim. Am looking for some amber ones then I have the complete set of traffic lights. Also am looking to Maplin and may change them to LED's.
I have no problem with your layout Lester all I have to do is sort out that huge number of basses and do some more practice. The major point is that we actually made these boxes ourselves giving us a real insight as to how they work. Layouts can be changed. As can the buttons ;D
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2014, 09:59:28 PM »

No Lester, DO'NT refrain from giving opinions in the future! They've often been of use to me and they have the added value of lacking bullshit...

As Brian said. Keep it coming Lester your input is highly valued.

Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Rog

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2014, 10:37:51 PM »

Yes it was entirely my responsibilty for choosing Lester's layout, so no criticism was intended. As it happens i decided i wanted a different layout (the Pariselle layout), once I had spent time thinking about it. The red buttons match the red bellows paper (:)

Shakin' All Hohner

• Good talker
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2014, 11:08:42 PM »

Here are a couple of pictures of mine.  Dead pleased with it and having already clocked up about eight hours of playing on it, including a two hour Sunday night session in Dorking where it was admired by all, I'm liking it more and more.

Idelone

• Regular debater
  • Now that's what I call a-peeling.
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2014, 11:11:26 PM »

.....(Actually my motivation was in idly wondering whether there might be one or two of these nice boxes around for sale at some future point or other, and if so what they might be like from my standpoint.)

I have to say Chris, I heard Alan's the other night, and apart from the craftsmanship which was excellent, it was the sound that did it for me. Not too wet not too dry, just right, good depth to the basses, I was really impressed; a really sweet sound. I do not know if they were all tuned the same, of if it was a personal preference thing, perhaps Theo might clarify, but either way from anyone's standpoint they're lovely boxes and if they are all of a similar build quality to Alan's (which I'm sure they are) then anyone would be proud to own one. Mind you if I'd made one I wouldn't sell it.

Shakin' All Hohner

• Good talker
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2014, 11:29:32 PM »

if they are all of a similar build quality

All the boxes were of a very high standard. I think most of us made small mistakes during the build, all of which were completely rectified by Emmanuel. I can see that I could have done a little better with button line-up so maybe I'll give that a tweak some time. There's no doubt that a second attempt would be a lot easier. Theo set my tremolo at 15 cents.

Idelone

• Regular debater
  • Now that's what I call a-peeling.
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2014, 11:37:22 PM »

All the boxes were of a very high standard. I think most of us made small mistakes during the build, all of which were completely rectified by Emmanuel. I can see that I could have done a little better with button line-up so maybe I'll give that a tweak some time. There's no doubt that a second attempt would be a lot easier. Theo set my tremolo at 15 cents.

Hmmmm !  I think you've been living with it for far too long Alan.  A blind man would like to have seen what you've pointed out. (just as an aside, can anyone explain that expression, it has always puzzled me).

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2014, 11:45:06 PM »

I am lost in admiration for melodeonists taking this challenge on, and indeed for Emmanuel in setting up this sucessful model. I don't in any way believe it is simply "about" a cheap box. But the factors that distinguish "better" melodeons are very subtle.  The facts (?) of life are that most course graduates might do a better job "next time", and that will always make this a personal triumph, though a very real one at that.

Selling on? Well I think I'd simply take such a box on its merits. But had I been its creator, I'd be unlikely to put it up for sale. Too much blood and sweat had been involved.
  _       _    _      _ 

Rog

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2014, 07:09:07 AM »

On tuning... Nick and me opted for bandoneon tuning e.g. Low/med octave in the right hand, so the sound is completely dry. We also got some switches to join/separate the sound. Our reed blocks in this case were more complicated to make, cos the two sides accomadate a different sized set of reeds.
Immanuel explained how he chose various elements from accordions to come up with the classic design. The bass chimney system was borrowed from a Russian CBA (I think that's what he said). Someone was playing a Salterelle and he claimed to have designed it. Have to say he is a pretty clever bloke.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal