Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for June 2014: Jack Robinson  (Read 11375 times)

arty

Re: Tune of the Month for June 2014: Jack Robinson
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 02:00:23 PM »

Inspired to have a go, this is my second Tune of the Month post. Any helpful criticism welcome. I have done quite a lot of row crossing, so it is not as bouncy as some already posted, also, it could be faster I think. But, what the heck, I'm really pleased with my progress - loving it!!!     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAfjqKR-IcE
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 03:18:33 PM »

Speed will come with practice, I think that was well played and the steady tempo allows other players to see what you are doing and perhaps learn something from your way of playing.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Sebastian

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 04:01:20 PM »

it could be faster I think.
I have the advantage not to know the tunes of the month beforhand, and I normally play them from the musical notation prior to listening to recordings. So I though this one had to be played in just the pace you chose. ;D

I'm afraid I played it even slower.  :||: :|bl

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 04:14:26 PM »

I though this one had to be played in just the pace you chose. ;D

I couldn't agree more. Play it at the pace that feels and sounds right to you.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 11:19:03 PM »

Here we go folks - a quick stab on this from me

http://youtu.be/QeNnMze7lPg

Played in G on a newly converted Hohner Lucia (similar to Squeezy's, but different accidental row). It's a learning experience on this box, and I'm getting better, but I still won't think I've arrived fully with it until I've got the bass at least as comfortable as it is on other boxes. Coming along nicely now though.

I seem to have a slight recording glitch going on; sorry about that. I have to say the box sounds a *lot* lighter and more dynamic in real life than it does in this recording; I'll have to try recording another box or two and see if I can figure out where the loss in quality is.

Cheers,

Clive

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 05:55:22 PM »

My first current tune of the month!

Having been inspired by Helena and Arty's great versions, I decided (rashly perhaps) to have a stab at this one.  Here it is, bum notes and all...

http://youtu.be/Q56sa5lvHs4

Thanks have to go to MelonBox for the last few lessons that have gone a long way to giving me the confidence to have a go.

N (:)
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

arty

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 07:50:28 PM »

My first current tune of the month!

Having been inspired by Helena and Arty's great versions, I decided (rashly perhaps) to have a stab at this one.  Here it is, bum notes and all...

http://youtu.be/Q56sa5lvHs4

Thanks have to go to MelonBox for the last few lessons that have gone a long way to giving me the confidence to have a go.

N (:)

Brilliant - well done!!! Posting your first recording takes a bit of courage doesn't it? We must try and take part in the tune of the month as often as we are able. It is a really good thing to do and of course it pushes you to learn more as well as increasing your confidence levels. I wish more of the more experienced players took part in this - listening to them is also part of the learning process.

Keep it up Nigel - interestingly, it was listening to Helena's recording that inspired me to have a go. We three should stick together!!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 08:34:44 PM »

Well done, Nigel and Arty. Although quite different, both interpretations were impressive, Arty's being gentle and melodic, and Nigel's being more rhythmic. I look forward to hearing more from both of you.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2014, 06:43:01 AM »

Here we go folks - a quick stab on this from me

http://youtu.be/QeNnMze7lPg

Played in G on a newly converted Hohner Lucia (similar to Squeezy's, but different accidental row). It's a learning experience on this box, and I'm getting better, but I still won't think I've arrived fully with it until I've got the bass at least as comfortable as it is on other boxes. Coming along nicely now though.

I seem to have a slight recording glitch going on; sorry about that. I have to say the box sounds a *lot* lighter and more dynamic in real life than it does in this recording; I'll have to try recording another box or two and see if I can figure out where the loss in quality is.

Cheers,

Clive
Nice box... Recording sounds ok to me..

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2014, 11:39:35 AM »

Nice one Nigel and Arty, well done both  (:)  It can be a bit daunting posting in ToTM given the standard of some of the players who frequent this forum I've chickened out of posting a few times. I'm going to keep pushing on though, the focus needed to get a tune ready to record has proved useful to my development as a player plus the helpful comments and encouragement from the experienced members of the forum really, really do help.

It's nice to see postings from the beginner/intermediate players as well as the experienced ones.  ToTM seems to be tailing off a bit and I think that's a shame.  Come on fellow melnutters, more ToTM postings please  :||:
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

arty

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2014, 02:15:54 PM »

It's nice to see postings from the beginner/intermediate players as well as the experienced ones.  ToTM seems to be tailing off a bit and I think that's a shame.  Come on fellow melnutters, more ToTM postings please  :||:

Well said Helena!!!
For me, it's a shame that there are so many posts about the different types of boxes and the mechanics of them at the moment and a lot less about the wonderful music these boxes can play.
MORE ToTM POSTINGS PLEASE!!!  :||: :|||:

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 02:26:04 PM »

Amen - keep 'em coming! It's very encouraging to ser how people's playing develops over several months/years of totm contribs!

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 05:24:25 PM »

Many thanks, Helena.  Your sentiments are echoed from here as well!  Also, I think Pete Dunk over in another part of the forum has hit the nail on the head:
I don't know if it's been suggested before but I'd like to nominate The Sussex Waltz. It's a lovely tune that sounds pretty in it's simplest form but it leaves a lot of scope for the more advanced players to get stuck into.
Having posted a few videos here before over the last few months, I have been waiting since April to have a ToTM that I can contribute to.  It's all very well if you can play in 13/8 time or if your box allows you to play a Bbmaj7-9, but that doesn't always make for good "tunes".  I went to a workshop with Simon Care yesterday and he played Shepherds Hey and Buttered Peas in ways that I have never heard before - proving the point that even the simplest of tunes offer huge scope for all concerned (IMHO).
I too have noticed a tailing off of ToTM posts and I think this is a direct result of the level of complexity.  Perhaps we should consider this to be an "online session" i.e. the goal is not for it to be a solo performance, but one in which as many people as possible can contribute, whatever their level of competency.  N

arty

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2014, 06:36:59 PM »

Well said Nigel!
I agree entirely - that's why I have just suggested 'Flowers of Edinburgh' as a future tune of the month. In it's basic written form it is very beautiful and not too hard to have a stab at but it can also be played in an enhanced, incredible way as so ably demonstrated by Ukebert. Obviously lots of scope with that tune.

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2014, 07:36:33 AM »

Here is my contribution for this month: http://youtu.be/anB2sYRG0_s

Played on a Hohner Club I in Bb/Eb.

arty

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2014, 10:30:35 AM »

Here is my contribution for this month: http://youtu.be/anB2sYRG0_s

Played on a Hohner Club I in Bb/Eb.

Great stuff!!!

AndyShear

• D/G Mory
  • Regular debater
    • The Busketeers
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2014, 07:25:33 PM »

With the lostness in das Man, the nearest, factical potentiality-ofbeing of Da-sein has always already been decided upon – tasks, rules, standards, the urgency and scope of being-in-the-world, concerned and taking care of things. Das-Man has always already taken the apprehension of these possibilities-of-being away from Dasein.

AndyShear

• D/G Mory
  • Regular debater
    • The Busketeers
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 08:15:52 PM »

Arr  this is more ......

http://youtu.be/u-dGHFxK9oE

Andy
With the lostness in das Man, the nearest, factical potentiality-ofbeing of Da-sein has always already been decided upon – tasks, rules, standards, the urgency and scope of being-in-the-world, concerned and taking care of things. Das-Man has always already taken the apprehension of these possibilities-of-being away from Dasein.

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2014, 02:20:28 AM »

Prompted by Helena (thank you (:)), this is my go at Jack Robinson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtmTYrR6fCE&feature=youtu.be

On my old Pressed Wood C/F, with a leather belt to keep the bellows shut, and a lovely smell of old tobacco - reminds me of UK pubs in the olden days...

I had chickened out of TOTM last month after my ambitious New Year Resolution, but Helena is right - just having to get used to playing despite the heeby jeebies that set in when you press the record button, is very useful.  It certainly helped when put on the spot at Morris practice when no one else knew the tune.  So, despite the 'oh crikey it sounds awful' when you listen back to yourself, I'm sure it's doing some good.

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2014, 08:12:47 AM »

So, despite the 'oh crikey it sounds awful' when you listen back to yourself, I'm sure it's doing some good.
Not awful at all - very nice indeed.  I like the bounce in the rhythm (:) N
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal