Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gaillard Question  (Read 20845 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Gaillard Question
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2014, 05:38:59 AM »

Bertrand will surely be at Ch.d'Ars next week. I'll bring this thread to his attention.
  _       _    _      _ 

LDbosca

« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2014, 07:47:37 PM »

To put another perspective on this, the luthier who fixed my box this time was impressed with the woodwork on my box n said it was a testament to BG that the break wasn't worse 

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »

Just to report that Bertrand is talking about retirement in about 10 years. He's interested in bringing on an apprentice, "at last"! ;). Both daughters are otherwise interested, (in leatherwork and genetics respectively)
  _       _    _      _ 

odonovanchris

• Regular debater
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2014, 04:35:40 AM »

10 years, I'd say he'd be swamped with applicants, no doubt he'll pick the best there is!

I'm still torn on the bass layout to order for the b/c cristal! At this stage I'm doubting 12 bass is the way to go, I mean I use 8 base fine and am really used to that way of playing now. Anyone want to convince me otherwise before I inform the man himself of my final decision? :) Thanks!
Many Paolo Sopranis, many Hohners, little space left.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2014, 08:58:42 AM »

There is doubt actually. While Bertrand makes the Bentley of the accordion genre, I actually play my van der Aa more, this even on flat keys like F or Bb which might run better on the G/C. Frans wasn't at Chateau d'Ars but young maker Clément Guais was. Playing his kit feels like driving a top range BMW.

So I'm not concerned about the future of luthiery
  _       _    _      _ 

LDbosca

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2014, 11:45:57 AM »

10 years, I'd say he'd be swamped with applicants, no doubt he'll pick the best there is!

I'm still torn on the bass layout to order for the b/c cristal! At this stage I'm doubting 12 bass is the way to go, I mean I use 8 base fine and am really used to that way of playing now. Anyone want to convince me otherwise before I inform the man himself of my final decision? :) Thanks!

12 bass almost weighs nothing more on a Gaillard - you can have it there for when you're ready but you can't add 4 more onto an 8 bass if you want them later.

deltasalmon

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2014, 12:11:51 PM »

12 bass almost weighs nothing more on a Gaillard - you can have it there for when you're ready but you can't add 4 more onto an 8 bass if you want them later.

An 8 bass with thirds and a 12 bass with thirds removed (as in physically taken out, not just taped or blocked off) have the same amount of reeds, right? Maybe something to consider if you're a player that tapes them off anyway and worried about weight on the LH side.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

odonovanchris

• Regular debater
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2017, 02:31:31 AM »

Just got this email from Bertrand:

Hello, 

I am pleased to inform you that your new accordion will be available around the middle of next July, as planed.
The brass of the grilles is now replaced with brushed non-oxydizing metal (lighter, less fragile and going better with the new inlaid threads).
Attached, a picture of the new grille ; thanks for precising by return if you prefer white or black material with it.
Do you plan to come in France to pick your instrument up or shall I have to send it to your home ?

Best regards

Bertrand Gaillard
Facteur d'accordéons diatoniques
2 rue de la Balline
44240 La Chapelle-sur-Erdre
France
tél. : + 33 (0)2 28 01 20 92   
www.accordeonsgaillard.fr
bertrand.gaillard@wanadoo.fr

What does he mean by inlaid threads?? He also sent this picture. I personally prefer the black material.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2017, 07:22:28 AM »

What does he mean by inlaid threads?? He also sent this picture. I personally prefer the black material.

I assume he means the alternating light and dark wood(?) rectangular inlay surrounding the maker's name and the bass/chord buttons.
Nice box!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Roger Howard

« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2017, 08:37:26 AM »

I assume he means the alternating light and dark wood(?) rectangular inlay surrounding the maker's name and the bass/chord buttons.
Nice box!

I'm sure Steve's right - he means the marquetry inlay.

I had the same email ... And chose the .... black! Now I'm wondering if the tissu on the keyboard and bass end should also be black.

Such tough decisions  ;)

Roger
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:49:32 AM by Roger Howard »
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

melodeon

« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2017, 02:45:51 PM »

" Inlaid threads"..

Could mean that there are metal threaded female inserts in the wood and the grille may be fastened with machine screws rather than wood screws.. just a thought.

Black for grille cloth.

odonovanchris

• Regular debater
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2017, 09:20:41 PM »

I asked Bertrand about the tax situation if I pick up the accordion in-person and here was his response:

Hello,
If you come to France to pick your accordion up, you will have to give me then (or to send me before)  a EUR 646 international bank check on the top of the balance.. This sum corresponds to the french VAT (20% of the EUR 3230 total price). I give you a export document and I'll send you back the check when I receive the document stamped by the customs and proving that the instrument has been exported.
I'll be away from my workshop from the 11th to the 23th of August included and from the 26th of August to the 6th of September included.
Thanks for precising what you plan by return.

Bertrand Gaillard
Facteur d'accordéons diatoniques
2 rue de la Balline
44240 La Chapelle-sur-Erdre
France
tél. : + 33 (0)2 28 01 20 92   
www.accordeonsgaillard.fr
bertrand.gaillard@wanadoo.fr

ps : For countries out of the European Union, the prices are given exclusive of tax ; custom duties and import levies are payable by the addressee.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal