Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After St Chartier....  (Read 1272 times)

JD

• Regular debater
After St Chartier....
« on: June 16, 2014, 08:21:25 PM »

I will be in France in a few weeks time, sadly too late for St Chartier (sorry, Le Son Continue). Can anyone point me at information about festivals on the weekend of 26/27th July. I've tried Googling but I'm obviously not putting the right search terms in. Asking for "French Folk Festivals" comes up with film events in Cannes, etc...

I'll be in Montpellier up to Friday the 25th July. After that no real plans. Any suggestions...?

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
Re: After St Chartier....
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:26:26 PM »

It's a bit of a long trek but that weekend I will be at the Amantica Festival in Recanati, Italy for  the 100th birthday celebrations of Castagnari.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 06:47:08 AM »

Fête Embraud http://lachavannee.com/wp/nos-fetes/fete-des-chavans/1275-2/ is one of the sweetest little festivals you could imagine, and its so nice to have your beer pulled by Frédéric Paris (and your leg pulled by Maxou)!  You don't say where you live, but (assuming Britain) it might be a convenient drive up through Auvergne and down the Allier. You can camp at Le Veudre; the hotel there, or relais at Lurcy Levis are both OK.

Otherwise, your bible is Trad magazine's festivals de l' été suppliment. There will be some good stuff in Brittany, if that is en route,  eg Quimper. Big! we're talking 1500 dancers in full costume in the procession …

(er, don't google this stuff in English!) ;)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 06:49:30 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 10:42:15 AM »

Rees: Even Mrs JD knows that Recanati means melodeons! Nice thought but I'll never get that one past her.

Chris: Embraud looks interesting. It would probably take most of Saturday to get there (must see the Millau bridge on the way). Is this like a festival in the UK where you can see things happening in the streets/bars or is a ticket a necessity? I have never been to a French folk event  hence the daft question. And I take your point about trying to find information in English.

We will end up crossing back via Le Havre on Saturday 2nd August so that weekend is a write-off (from a folk perspective). I'm beginning to think I haven't planned this trip very well. I suppose the family wedding had to take priority.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 05:33:59 PM »

Embraud starts about 2, but the afternoon is very relaxed. They always organise a pageant, repeated sunday afternoon.   There's do a meal at about 630pm, relax a bit more.

Dancing from 9 or so "French" timing. Chevanée for an hour, a (generally very good) guest group (once Cutting/Wood), then Patrick Bouffard trio. Odds and sods, dancing until dawn.

Repeats on Sunday, different groups (all very harmonic, top notch, but could (eg 2003) even be a TexMex! Jamming tends to be in predefined groups, in the central orchard.

Food is grills and salads, beer and local wine. The tête de veau, sauce vinagrette is a local speciality, not to be missed! :|glug

Can recommend Auberge Bournonnaise , Lurcy-Levis if more than two of you. The Veudre hotel is nearer, tends to get booked up. But you can walk it at 3am. If time is critical the A75 is very handy; its Pond de Millau over the Lot is awesome (google it) ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 01:51:13 PM »

Thanks for the info Chris. We will be leaving Montpellier on the Saturday and have a week to get to Le Havre. I'm just beginning to realise how big France is (I have never driven further south than Brittany).

Embraud on Sunday looks like a good idea followed by a day or two pottering round the area. I'll report back if we get there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal