Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tuning a Busilacchio 2 row  (Read 2219 times)

old geezer

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Melodeon
Tuning a Busilacchio 2 row
« on: March 22, 2009, 05:18:40 AM »

Jack Murphy    beyond the black stump

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Tuning a Busilacchio 2 row
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:20:58 AM »

I'm not the expert and I'm sure that others more experienced than me will add their views, but this is how I would do it.....

Cut a strip of plain paper just a bit longer than the reed block and wedge-shaped - the width of the long reed plate at one end, tapering to the width of the shortest reed plate at the other end. Lay the strip over the reed plates so that it covers the reed tongues and valves, and carefully secure it flat and taut with masking tape (or similar which can be removed easily and does not leave a sticky residue). Ensure that the sticky tape does not come into contact with the reed tongues or valves.

The paper strip should be sufficient to prevent that bank of reeds from sounding whilst you tune the uncovered side of the reed block. Once you've done one side, repeat the process for the other side.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 07:48:20 AM »

Being a simple soul I would just cut a bit of paper the shape of the reeds on one side of the reed block, place it over the reeds and tape it down. This will stop one side working.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 10:27:43 AM »

It depends on how you are sounding the reeds while tuning them.  If you sound them in the accordion then this method will not work.  If you have the reedblock outside the instrument to sound the reeds then just hold a finger over the reed that you don't want to hear.  Simple and effective.

For other situations you can stop a reed sounding by slipping a strip of stiff paper under the reed tongue.  For the underneath reed you can get the same effect by lifting the valve and slipping the strip of paper into the gap along the side of the reed tongue.

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal