Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scottish tune  (Read 7075 times)

Tony Gibbons

• Good talker
  • Play D/G, C/C#, B/C/C#, run Barn-dance band
Re: Scottish tune
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 08:44:38 PM »

"There is a James Hill tune called The West End, but this isn't it."

Hi Bill. Can you post the abc for James Hill's "West End" I would certainly like to amend my information if PK is incorrect.
Theo! I'm wondering now whether your dots are the same as Bill's tune. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Michael Raven's book.

thanks

TG
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 08:46:17 PM by Tony Gibbons »

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »

Hi Bill. Can you post the abc for James Hill's "West End" I would certainly like to amend my information if PK is incorrect.
The music I have is in Pete Loud's Collection of Traditional Fiddle Tunes, p 1-10, titled "The West End", James Hill, Hornpipe. It is the same score as this tune on Session.org, and the Session.org ABC gives the same score as in the Pete Loud book.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Tony Gibbons

• Good talker
  • Play D/G, C/C#, B/C/C#, run Barn-dance band
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 11:05:40 PM »

Thanks Bill. It is quite different, isn't it. I think I prefer this as a hornpipe (dotted variety) more so than a rant.
Somehow I feel a little uneasy with refering to "West End" (now Kirk's Hornpipe), as noted by me from PK manuscript, as a Hornpipe because it is commonly played as a reel/rant and would never work as a Hornpipe of the dotted variety. I guess I shall have to get hold of Pete Loud's Collection of Fiddle Tunes and also Mike Raven's to see if they are the same.

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 01:04:49 AM »

Hello all

Thanks to you all for the comments etc for my videos on Youtube.  Apologies for the fact I wasn't aware that there was a quest to find out what tunes I was playing in them.  Thanks to Bill it's sorted now.  Any questions you have just ask.  I'm gonna have a look through the forums now that I am registered with the site.

You all have a great site here, glad to see the button boxes have good support!

Cheers guys

Graeme Mackay
www.mackaymusic.co.uk
Black Shand Morino

HallelujahAl

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 01:51:18 PM »

Welcome Graeme - you are one hell of a box player & thanks for all that you're doing!
AL

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 05:36:12 PM »

The dots are in my copy of Michael Reven's 1000 English Country Dance Tunes (P1610

Theo Thomas

What's the title there, and is the composer named?

No composer, title is "The West End".

My wife's morris team (New Esperance) have used this tune for many years (20?) for one of their (written) dances. slowed down a lot but played undotted.

They've always known it as "The West End" but of course they could be wrong...

Ian
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal