Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hand position bass side.  (Read 1837 times)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Hand position bass side.
« on: July 18, 2014, 06:30:11 PM »

Watching a film of a Melnetter playing a Beltuna, the same as mine. I was struck by his being able to press one of the bass voice buttons, without struggling, as I have to.
Is there an optimum left/bass, hand position? I have found it hard to press the air button, if I have my hand too far forward. Is there an optimum left hand position?

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Hand position bass side.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 07:07:12 PM »

It can help to allow the top of the box to lean away from your body a little.  This allows the left hand fingers to go a little further through the strap while the thumb remains on the air button.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 08:13:39 PM »

Probably lots of horses and courses here.  I've always been able to adopt a fairly 'flat-fingered' bass style on the bass buttons (with two bass rows), relying I think on finger inclination a bit to strike either the inner buttons or the outer ones.  I've noticed others using a 'striking' technique as well, I think in order to get a sharp 'blip', and also to allow finger-wobble vibrato.  However having just got a 6x3 I realised I'll have to change all that, and curl my left fingers a bit more to hit the buttons with the finger pads, which is going to require some position adjustment.  Whereabouts you position your hand is also going to depend on the number of fingers you use, I guess (discussed elsewhere.)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »

As I have just mentioned in another thread, a tip I found useful (given to me by Andy Cutting) was to twist your wrist downwards slightly so that the little finger can reach the bottom button on the inside row whilst the thumb is still in a comfortable position to operate the air button. If you can reach that bottom inside button and the air button comfortably, then all the other buttons should be easy to reach. The secret is in the slight roll of the wrist.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 06:21:09 PM »

If you can reach that bottom inside button and the air button comfortably, then all the other buttons should be easy to reach. The secret is in the slight roll of the wrist.

Blimey, I just managed to do this, never thought I could.  As well as having quite little little fingers I've also got limited control of my left one after a tendon-snapping incident involving a concrete floor and a bolster chisel.  I used to have almost no movement in the top joint at all and I am convinced that playing the box has been instrumental (see what I did there) in gaining back control of the digit.

I've just given this wrist rolling tip a go and found that I can play basses with all four fingers.  Unfortunately all the fingers on my right hand then immediately forgot where they were supposed to be doing but I guess you can't have it all. 

Switching over full time may take a bit of work but I do like a challenge. If I don't make it then three is still a 50% from when I first started out.

Thanks for this tip Bob  (:)
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 06:26:10 PM »

So a limp wrist could be the solution to my problem?

John

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

exiletaff

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 06:57:21 PM »

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Not for this boyo.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 08:02:30 PM »

Arm a bit away from your body is a good tip and also standard practice in lessons (!!) in continenal Europe. Close in … not what your wrist anatomy was designed for … try writing like that! 
  _       _    _      _ 

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 09:11:09 PM »

I have tried Theo's suggestion, along with loosening the strap a wee bit, and it feels much more comfortable. The tilting the box forward bit, helps lengthen the arm too Chris.

Thanks

John

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 04:38:22 AM »

Keep experimenting. If your wrist isn't comfortable? … just use forum search for "repetitive strain injury". Another tip last week was not to worry if your bellows curve into an S shape on a long push. Seems they are designed to be played that way (was news to me)!
  _       _    _      _ 

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 10:50:06 AM »

Another tip last week was not to worry if your bellows curve into an S shape on a long push. Seems they are designed to be played that way (was news to me)!
I always try to avoid an S shape. I don't know why ...
Maybe I shouldn't bother anymore.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal