Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: connor anglo  (Read 2702 times)

ACE

connor anglo
« on: July 22, 2014, 05:33:21 PM »

Years ago I ha an old salvation army Jefferies which I had renovated and changed to G/D. Due to being strapped for cash in the Thatcher years I sold it. Always regretted it, but the family had to come first. (cue violins). The family has flown the nest and I am flush again so a couple of years ago I obtained a Connor in C/G. As much as I have tried I can only get a few tunes out of it and then with a lot of fumbling. Up and down the rows is no problem but as most of you know it is not a satisfying sound or solution.

I am going to throw in the towel. So if there is anybody out there who has a good quality G/D and wants to change to a C/G get in touch and see if we can't work something out. I know I should go to concertina net but the trouble I have trying to log on after forgetting my log on details is nearly as bad as trying to learn the C/G.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: connor anglo
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 06:25:03 PM »

I have a GD anglo by A C Norman for sale for £1200 It is an accordion reeded model but would probably be a good bit cheaper than the Connor.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

ACE

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 07:17:06 PM »

I did have a peek at that one earlier, but never ever having played one live, I am not sure. But thanks for the info.

Mike Averill

• suffering from MAD
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »

An A.C. Norman is a good instrument. Definitely a match for a Connor even though it is built with accordion style reeds rather than traditional concertina reeds.
Hohner - 1 row 4 stop C and G, pokerwork DG, DoubleRay DC#, Corso CC#, Corona III ADG, CLUB X CF, Elysium II CF
Saltarelle 1 row 4 stop D, Castagnari Giordy DG, Sander DG
Sonola CC#, Walters DC#

ACE

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 08:17:54 AM »

Definitely a match for a Connor

Somehow I don't think so, they might be up there in the top of the range for a hybrid, but like I say, I know nothing about them. I would like to be pleasantly surprised. Still ain't taking the chance though.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 08:29:08 AM »

Definitely a match for a Connor

Somehow I don't think so, they might be up there in the top of the range for a hybrid, but like I say, I know nothing about them. I would like to be pleasantly surprised. Still ain't taking the chance though.

I have a Connor here too, and I agree they are completely different in both sound and feel.  Biggest plus for the Norman is that it is much lighter in weight.  But if you want the sound of traditional concertina reeds it won't give you that.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

ACE

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 08:41:10 AM »

I just listened to a few clips on the AC Norman site. Lovely sound and pretty responsive, but the chords, oh dear.  I expect it is not really viable but seeing as I would loose about £400 on the Connor if I sold it, then get seduced by an expensive G/D, how much would a conversion cost on mine.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 09:18:58 AM »

I just listened to a few clips on the AC Norman site. Lovely sound and pretty responsive, but the chords, oh dear. 

Have just had a listen.

I agree with your comment about the chords. But I think there is something not quite right about the tuning of the particular instrument(s) used on the recordings which makes the chords seem dull and lifeless (and out of tune in places). But that could be remedied with some careful tuning. I've only played a Norman anglo once, but I do remember liking it and it did sound fine to me.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal