Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wild Colonial Boy  (Read 2597 times)

jerfish

• Jeremy
  • Regular debater
  • Musical Adventurer
    • Jerfish
Wild Colonial Boy
« on: July 23, 2014, 05:43:01 AM »

http://youtu.be/FiicxW_TSDA?list=UUVKhDH7Lqel8amEEcHXNi0g

After a suggestion I approach this song, here are my attempts at remembering how the song Wild Colonial Boy goes as a new fun thing to learn.  I think I've only heard it in the movie "The Quiet Man", and it's been quite a few years since I've seen it, so this is what a short day's worth of noodling today and 8 weeks into the Melodeon has got me.

And by got me, you'll see a glaring omission - Basses!  I can't seem to fathom a bass rhythm for this.  I know I should look on the youtube, but I thought I'd subject myself to inspection first.

Not sure why my eyes close when I play this one.  Probably looks a bit silly, but I kind of zone out for some reason.  Maybe it's a movie memory.  I do like that movie...
Weltmeister GC MMM, Hohner "Morgane" GC, Paolo Soprani 19 button 3 Voice AD, Castagnari "Lilly" DG, ~1930's Hohner "1926 Philadelphia Grand Prix" Eb/B, ~1930's Hohner one row "A", 1950's Hohner Club II CF (Declubbed), 1950's Hohner Erica GC

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
Re: Wild Colonial Boy
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 07:58:07 AM »

Nice one ! Btw it's a waltz, so the basses go oom pah pah, oom pah pah

Cheers

Pikey
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

jerfish

• Jeremy
  • Regular debater
  • Musical Adventurer
    • Jerfish
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:24:30 AM »

Thanks!  I'll have to give it a whirl then.  Or a twirl, as it's a waltz  ;D

I'll start with just a basic matching row Oom pah pah if I can make the left hand behave.
Weltmeister GC MMM, Hohner "Morgane" GC, Paolo Soprani 19 button 3 Voice AD, Castagnari "Lilly" DG, ~1930's Hohner "1926 Philadelphia Grand Prix" Eb/B, ~1930's Hohner one row "A", 1950's Hohner Club II CF (Declubbed), 1950's Hohner Erica GC

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 08:51:25 AM »

Well done.  I like the sound of the box.  Good luck with the basses.  Don't worry - most of us have our own unique "melodeon face"!
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:02:52 AM »

That box has a lovely sound.

jerfish

• Jeremy
  • Regular debater
  • Musical Adventurer
    • Jerfish
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 01:59:25 AM »

Well done.  I like the sound of the box.  Good luck with the basses.  Don't worry - most of us have our own unique "melodeon face"!

Mel-face!

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 04:25:29 PM »

By all means try the tune as a waltz, but as a word of warning; not every tune that happens to get notated in 3/4 is a waltz. It's instructive to note that this song is quite commonly notated in 2/4 and 6/8.

Your version seems to be tending towards 2/4 I think.

There are different takes on this song, some use a 3/4 type rhythm (famously Margaret Barry, though I'd still hesitate to call it a "waltz" as such), many others do not. Personally my preference wouldn't be to sing or accompany this song with a 3/4 rhythm and certainly not a waltz rhythm.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »

By all means try the tune as a waltz, but as a word of warning; not every tune that happens to get notated in 3/4 is a waltz. It's instructive to note that this song is quite commonly notated in 2/4 and 6/8.

Your version seems to be tending towards 2/4 I think.

There are different takes on this song, some use a 3/4 type rhythm (famously Margaret Barry, though I'd still hesitate to call it a "waltz" as such), many others do not. Personally my preference wouldn't be to sing or accompany this song with a 3/4 rhythm and certainly not a waltz rhythm.

Now I've never liked it much in 2/4 (to be honest it's not on my favourites list in any rhythm, but that's my problem!), and I really don't think it works in 6/8, which is too bouncy. All the versions I've heard that I think are OK are in 3/4 - some of them very waltzy - because it seems to me that that's the rhythm the lyrics are begging for. I do, however, entirely agree that just because it's in 3/4 it's not necessarily a waltz - but I've ridden that hobby-horse several times here in the past.

Opinions may vary, of course.........

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

george garside

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 06:14:09 PM »

I often wild colonial boy and endearing young charms as a waltz set  either as a fairly brisk swirly waltz or as a slow smoochy  last waltz  type of thing- it works well either way
ut
I also use it occasionaly to accompany singers, played as a 3/4 ,  but     devoid of the um pa pa rhythm on the bass

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 01:32:19 AM »

Ditto on the film jerfish,  ;) I've tried to become competent in the other tune which features heavily during the lead up to the big fight and seems to be one of the variants of Rigs of Mallow (or Rigs of Marlow), unless it has some more specific Irish / Irish American name - anyone know ?
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

jerfish

• Jeremy
  • Regular debater
  • Musical Adventurer
    • Jerfish
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 04:20:07 AM »

Ditto on the film jerfish,  ;) I've tried to become competent in the other tune which features heavily during the lead up to the big fight and seems to be one of the variants of Rigs of Mallow (or Rigs of Marlow), unless it has some more specific Irish / Irish American name - anyone know ?

I think it's time for a re-watching for me.

Canorus

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 09:01:17 PM »

I think what you're looking for is "Rakes of Mallow".  (A great tune but not on the menu for me at this point, i.e., my two-week anniversary as a melodeon owner today!)

Cheers,

-John-
One (1) Weltmeister G/C . . . but it's early yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal