- 8 (17.8%)
Auvergne Mazurka
- 6 (13.3%)
Find the Lady
- 6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: July 31, 2014, 12:54:33 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Tune of the Month for August 2014  (Read 3813 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Poll: Tune of the Month for August 2014
« on: July 25, 2014, 12:54:33 AM »

Let's do it again folks!

Flowers of Edinburgh - loser last month by the narrowest of margins - a lovely old tune, popularised on melodeon at least by Tony Hall, and here played by our own Ukebert - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXVKqayckH0

Haste to the Wedding - a very useful tune to know, plays nicely on one row. Here it is played by Lester: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fUlAn9XkFI [[[ Link fixed; thanks Sebastian! ]]]

Auvergne Mazurka - Lester, you've no idea how handy your youtube channel is for this! Here's a commonly played (in the UK) at least mazurka: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBnahFIWiW8 . Does anyone know if it has a real name?

Find the Lady - found this one browsing Lester's channel; what a great tune - always liked it! It's by John Kirkpatrick, and on his 3 in a Row melodeon album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYEjm8AezxQ#t=21

There we go folks, happy voting!

Cheers,

Clive

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
Re: Poll: Tune of the Month for August 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 02:12:18 PM »

Auvergne Mazurka - Lester, you've no idea how handy your youtube channel is for this! Here's a commonly played (in the UK) at least mazurka: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBnahFIWiW8 . Does anyone know if it has a real name?

We know this round here as "Sonny's Mazurka", although we also realise there is another tune also called that.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Ellison

• Respected Sage
    • A few tunes here:
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 02:50:25 PM »

As an alternative, here's Scan Tester's version of Haste to the Wedding.

https://soundcloud.com/#martin-ellison/haste-to-the-wedding

Martin

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 03:13:56 PM »

The mazurka is known around my way as Lumpy Custard and also as Dziekowice Mazurka. The version posted above is from Emmanuel Pariselle who on hearing the Lumpy Custard version opined "If you played it like that in my village we would nail you to the barn door!"  (:)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 04:01:10 PM »

Well, none of those mazurka titles meant anything to me, so I had a listen - and discovered it's a tune I know as Varsoviana No 4. Certainly the way I learned it it's a varsovienne, definitely not a mazurka - played in a smooth 3/8, without the strong, slightly "dotted" downbeat emphasis of a mazurka. Funny old thing, folk music........

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 06:40:21 PM »

That's funny, it usually takes a while for all the pseudonyms to come out!  I've always known this mazurka as "The French Assembly".

Rob.

Graham Spencer

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 07:24:36 PM »

That's funny, it usually takes a while for all the pseudonyms to come out!  I've always known this mazurka as "The French Assembly".

Rob.

Now that's interesting; I've just Googled "French Assembly" and found a very similar - though by no means identical - tune to "my" version of the one we're discussing, but with the A and B parts reversed. I learned "my" version by communal osmosis (Chris Coe's term. not mine!) and I've not seen a written version of it until now. The way I play it is the way it's played in the circles I moved in before I left UK. Interestingly (or maybe not!) a player of my acquaintance from a completely different part of the country plays it 98% the same as I do (that's without that mazurka "push", as well as the actual tune being pretty much the same).
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 12:56:49 AM »

The mazurka is known around my way as Lumpy Custard and also as Dziekowice Mazurka. The version posted above is from Emmanuel Pariselle who on hearing the Lumpy Custard version opined "If you played it like that in my village we would nail you to the barn door!"  (:)
I remember Emmanuel saying that!  >:E

Yet another name for it is 'The Pink Mazurka' - as far as I know because it's in Vol.1 of Mel Steven's Massif Central Tune Book, which has a pink cover...

(Vol.2 has a blue cover. Both are sadly out of print.  :( )
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

arty

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 09:57:44 PM »

Just listening to The Flowers of Edinburgh on You Tube, I came across this version by Sandy, very beautiful, as is Ukebert's. Sandy always has this subtle, in-built rhythm in everything she plays, which I really like. I enjoy her playing very much. https://soundcloud.com/sandyshallis/flowers-of-edinburgh
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Sebastian

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 10:43:06 PM »

Sandy always has this subtle, in-built rhythm in everything she plays, which I really like.
Yes. It’s real music. :-*

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 03:58:05 PM »

Looks like the poll has closed a day early - pretty academic really given the voting patterns.

Can we have some ABC for this tune please so I (and others) can get cracking with learning it?  I'm not being lazy here, I did a quick search for ABC myself and found several pretty contradictory versions including some that don't bear much relation to the video posted above by Ukebert.  **confused **

Thanks

Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 04:21:19 PM »

Here is the Bampton morris version which I shall stick a video up of in a day or two.

X:169
T:Flowers of Edinburgh
M:2/2
L:1/8
K:G
DEFD G2 A2|B2 B2 BdcB|AGFG EFGA|B2 E2 E2 GE|
DEFD G2 A2|B2 B2 Bgfe|dcBA GFGA|B2 G2 G4:||
g6 ag|f6 af|e2 e2 efge|B2 e2 efge|
dBGB d2 d2|e2 e2 efge|dcBA GFGA|B2 G2 G4:||
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:25:32 PM by Lester »

Graham Spencer

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 05:14:29 PM »

Looks like the poll has closed a day early - pretty academic really given the voting patterns.

So that's the second month running I've been denied a vote...........

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 05:31:26 PM »

Here is the Bampton morris version which I shall stick a video up of in a day or two....

Cheers Lester  :|glug (<-- lime & soda of course)
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 05:59:25 PM »

Here's another abc that sounds quite like the basic Tony Hall version without any of the embellishments!

X:1
T:the Flowers of Edinburgh
M:C|
L:1/8
Q:1/2=75
K:G
GE|"G"D2DE G2GA|BGBd cBAG|"D7"FGFE DEFG|AFdF E2GE||"G"D2DE G2GA|
"G"BGBd "C"efge|"G"dcBA "D7"GFGA|"G"B2G2 G2::d2|"G"g2gd gbag|"D7"f2fd fagf|
"Em"e2ef gfed|B2e2 "(C)"e2ge||"G"dBGB d2d2|"C"edef g2fe|"G"dcBA "D7"GFGA|"G"B2G2 G2:|
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Graham Spencer

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 06:59:02 PM »

Looking at it again, this post could be interpreted as a tongue-in-cheek response, but actually I'm a bit p****d off; twice now the poll has closed 24 hours before its stated deadline. Twice I've thus been denied the opportunity to vote. Can we get our act together on this? If not I'll just stop bothering to look at the thread.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 07:21:14 PM »

Looking at it again, this post could be interpreted as a tongue-in-cheek response, but actually I'm a bit p****d off; twice now the poll has closed 24 hours before its stated deadline. Twice I've thus been denied the opportunity to vote. Can we get our act together on this? If not I'll just stop bothering to look at the thread.

I mean it's not as if you have had only 5 days to vote in your busy schedule. Clive has been running this since Nov 2009 and he has twice made an error on the end time of the poll, we should be thanking him for his perseverance not threatening to flounce off.

Sebastian

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »

It is a bit annoying, yes. Knowing Clive's foible to calculate the exact ending time, how about voting till the 28th of each month? Within four weeks it should be possible to make up ones mind. (:)

To me a much greater problem is, that the tune I voted for never won.  :'(

Graham Spencer

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 08:02:08 PM »

I mean it's not as if you have had only 5 days to vote in your busy schedule. Clive has been running this since Nov 2009 and he has twice made an error on the end time of the poll, we should be thanking him for his perseverance not threatening to flounce off.

No, I agree; but if I choose to leave it until the last minute - maybe seeing how the land lies, maybe deciding between a tune I know well and a tune I fancy learning, then I think I'm entitled to the full run of the poll to make my decision. After all, the months have the same number of days in them every year (except February!). And it's not a "threat" (I don't honestly think anyone would notice!) nor a "flounce" - more a resigned "Ah well, nice idea, but don't think I'll bother".

I do appreciate Clive's running this poll; I'm just a bit frustrated that it's gone wrong for me - not a global collapse, just for me - twice on the trot. I'll probably see it more clearly tomorrow; as Helena says, it was a runaway victory anyway. I think my frustration was probably brought on by the fact that last month was SO close, and my vote - rendered invalid by the premature close - might JUST have made the difference.

I really don't want to fall out with anyone over this - after all, it's just a bit of fun, really - and I apologise if I seem to have over-reacted. People who've worked with me in bands will testify that I have a tendency to blow up suddenly over relatively minor issues and then 5 minutes later it's all forgotten and I'm back to my usual equable self. I'm not a brooder - one quick explosion and it's all over.

Look forward to meeting some of you in Whitby
Graham
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:55:43 PM by Clive Williams »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal