Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How to teach a 5 year old?  (Read 8160 times)

HallelujahAl

How to teach a 5 year old?
« on: March 27, 2009, 04:56:13 PM »

Our 5 year old daughter is showing a considerable interest in learning to play, so I thought I'd seek some advice from this venerable forum. I play C/F & D/G boxes.

She's only 5 - so do I start her off on one of those little chinese things, which she could hold quite easily - or do I try to get her going on a proper box (i.e one of mine)?

She's quite musical - mucks around on our piano with some serious intent as well.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
AL

Matthew B

Re: How to teach a 5 year old?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 05:49:22 PM »

I've found a Liliput serves the need well for the 5-7 year olds.  It's light, with small buttons that are closer together, it has well-considered ergonomic details such as a little extra ridge on the thumb-groove suited to a child's hand, an adjustable LH strap, with bass buttons close to the end of the bass cabinet, and light action . . . It's almost as if it were designed for children to learn on . . . .
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 05:52:04 PM »

Good stuff can be played on these boxes by people who know what they're doing - I've hard them. By al means get her one to start on, but be prepared to lose one of yours!

Chris.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 06:31:50 PM »

Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

HallelujahAl

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 06:45:53 PM »

you may wish to consider these http://www.giustozzi.it/Catalogo/vetrina/catalogo_eng.asp?IdC=C0036&PCat=;0;C0035;C0036;

Wishful thinking on my part I'm afraid ::)

Graeme

• Regular debater
  • BCC#, BC, moothie & steering wheel
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 09:24:03 PM »

My 9 year old daughter picked up my black dot double ray B/C a couple of months ago. I fitted an extra strap and she's on her second tune (by ear) having done well getting to grips with the keys of C & G. She's a right wee show off now and played at her school's ceilidh last week. It is hard for her at times having such small fingers but she's determined. Good on them!

Graeme
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:24:57 AM by Graeme »

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 11:59:32 AM »

As with any instrument, it helps to start on a half way decent instrument.  If the instrument is unresponsive and does not produce a pleasing note,

I'm not saying we should start our children on Costallotis, but I would never let a beginner (on any instrument) leanr on an instrument I would not be happy playing myself.

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 02:48:48 PM »

A Hohner HA112 might be a good start: it's small, lightweight and very easy to play. And we often find them used for cheap in shops and on-line sites. For a young child I guess the focus of the teaching will first be the treble side, so the basses wouldn't be an issue.
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 03:16:38 PM »

I still think that the Delicia popular is an excellent box to learn on, although I'm biased, having learned on one myself.

A lot surely depends on how big she is and whether she can cope with a full sized box. If she can then say goodbye to your smallest box...
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

HallelujahAl

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 03:27:03 PM »

I thinks she's coping with a full size box ok!

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 11:30:37 AM »

i'd get her a couple of mouthorgans too in C and one in G.
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 09:35:10 PM »

Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 09:48:18 PM »

Very seriously, I wouldn't - they are hateful devices with no depth to explore.  Give her the best instrument you have or can afford and that she can get her hands round.  Nothing kills playing quicker and more effectively than bad instruments (end of hobbyhorse)
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 01:40:24 AM »

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 01:42:17 AM by squeezy »
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 08:25:07 AM »

I really disagree with the previous comment.  The little 6 or 7 button chinese one-rows in C are amazingly made for the price (but get the ones with white buttons poking out of the keyboard instead of the ones with a metal mechanism that's all visible)

If I could I would have quoted both messages  in support.  I've played one of these in a session, (initially for the daft factor...I'm a big  ;)bloke) but actually quite enjoyed it. Photographic evidence is available, but I couldn't workout how to do it. (:) Obviously you're limited to the people's key of C, but that's no bad thing.

If you're a grown up, I think it helps if you're a 1 row player.  I'd echo Squeezy's comment about straps...the thumb strap on the one I bought my grandson soon gave way

Apart from anything else they're a handy take anywhere,do anything box.

And there's no waiting list!!

Baz
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

HallelujahAl

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 09:21:45 AM »

Yes, I'm tempted to go with Squeezy's suggestion - primarily because I want my Hohner Erica C/F back!

I've got a 2 year old who plays one - and she loves it!  She just squeezes it and presses the buttons but if she keeps on doing that - she'll soon work out what it's all about with the odd pointer in the right direction

BTW have we inadvertantly been alerted to a change in the Bellowhead line-up? ;D
AL

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 10:41:50 AM »

I'd also have to agree the little chinese 'toy' melodoens are great.  And because they are cheap it can go in the toy box without worrying about expensive damage.

One little tip.  They are a bit less air hungry, and easier to play,  if you can block off one of the two sets of reeds.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 11:48:44 AM »

One little tip.  They are a bit less air hungry, and easier to play,  if you can block off one of the two sets of reeds.

Would a bit of gaffer tape across the inside of the air holes do the job?
AL

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 02:54:03 PM »

Would a bit of gaffer tape across the inside of the air holes do the job?
AL

Yes, but I would use something less goey than gaffer tape, eg masking tape of sellotape.

ps  Why is Gaffer Tape like "The Force"?

Because it has a light side, ...  and a dark side,..... and it holds the universe together!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 03:12:14 PM »

I am pleased to hear good reports on these little Chinese boxes, my previous experiences have obviously coloured my opinion.  Unfortunately every one I have tried has been horrendous and despite wanting an instrument for my grandchildren I have found them unplayable.  The youtube offerings have done nothing to dispel my views and appart from this forum I have never heard a good word for them.  I would be pleased to change my view if there were a brand or a specific outlet that provides a semi decent product.  I would even risk 15 quid in the hope of being proved wrong.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal