Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Lantern  (Read 2221 times)

finnhorse

Sound Lantern
« on: March 27, 2009, 06:17:31 PM »

Anyone with an SL account has probably received the email, but for all who haven't, the site will cease to be at the end of the month.  The message I received didn't give any other details, but I'm guessing it was too expensive to continue operating.  It's a shame, really.  It was nice to have streaming audio without video or images interfering, a simpler "Youtube" concept, and better suited for music sharing, IMO.  In the spirit of disaster capitalism, maybe one of the web's "big players" will step in to fill the void?   :-[  :-\  ::)  ???

HallelujahAl

Re: Sound Lantern
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »

Real shame - but not unexpected really :(
AL

HallelujahAl

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 07:09:02 PM »

btw does anybody know of a similar site where we can upload a decent quality soundfile?

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 07:25:06 PM »

btw does anybody know of a similar site where we can upload a decent quality soundfile?

Just got an email via my SoundLantern account pointing here

http://www.onmvoice.com/

Haven't had time to check it out yet

HallelujahAl

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 07:42:47 PM »

Have just tried a very quick test file of me playing concertina on the MediaFire hosting system - seems ok, but quite a lot of adverts - which is the only way to make it pay I suppose?
http://www.mediafire.com/?bd2w5zkdv1t
AL

finnhorse

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 08:20:34 PM »

Yeah, Sound Lantern didn't have any ads -- no income, and maybe he was afraid of legal action or was contacted by someone and decided to close up?  Aside from the bugs and other quirky problems, I think he missed an opportunity to have really done something with SL.  Personally, I don't mind ads on social media sites.  Ads are everywhere on the net, I hardly even notice them.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 10:29:59 PM »

Onmvoice.com seems to work OK so far .... .. .
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal