Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What tunes are you currently learning?  (Read 17106 times)

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
Re: What tunes are you currently learning?
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2014, 01:21:32 PM »

Weasel's Revenge also joined my list, following that session with Noodle.
Others active on the list include:
Millstreet Hornpipe
Thaxted Square
Zuppa Inglese
Joe Burke's Hornpipe
Was searching the site for any references to the Millstreet Hornpipe and found your entry, Andy. Just discovered it via the lovely PolkaWorks CD Borrowed Shoes, which is on Spotify.  One of the reasons I think that I love the tune is that it while it uses established sequences of chords it comes at them in an unexpected and refreshing way.  We're going to use it for dancing  so will be playing it on guitar,but will try and learn it on the melodeon for sessions as well.
 :||: Mike

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »

Just been given a list of tunes to learn for our band ready for the festival in October:

Bourrée de Camprieux (Gm)
La Sansonette (Dm)
1/11 (Am)
Mazurka de Lanternaire (Dm)
Ronde du Quercy (Dm)
Maître de la Maison (Gm)
Hanter Dro Genette (Am)
Saut vers le Soleil, aka Jump at the Sun (Dm)
Les Poules Huppées (Am/Dm)
Polka de l'Aveyron (C)
Far Away (Bm)

All in nice melodeon friendly keys! I already know three of them, but the rest are going to tax my skills and memory to the limit...and probably beyond it.
  ::)
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2014, 02:46:41 PM »

I've just started learning Queen's Delight in my lessons with Mel Biggs.  I love this tune - evokes everything to do with Morris for me (:) N
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

robotmay

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2014, 03:05:20 PM »

Queen's Delight is a great tune. The dance goes on for-sodding-ever though; the musicians are just as knackered as the dancers by the end of it.

I've managed to get Battle of the Somme to a reasonable point, so now I'm looking at learning The White Joak and The New May Moon (which is a track on Tony Halls' One-Man Hand).

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2014, 03:35:17 PM »

John K's Broken Rifle....it's only taken me about 25 years...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2014, 03:50:12 PM »

Just returned from a great québécois music camp last weekend (see News and Events) with the following tunes, theoretically under my belt already, but in reality needing a little or a whole lot of work to make a decent job of them (and retain them in memory). (How are you doing with them, Ken?)

Reel à Oscar (Oscar Morin)
Le Galope des folkloristes (by the above-mentioned Guy Loyer)
Reel du château (Sabin Jacques)
The Manitoba Golden Boy (Andy De Jarlis)
La Berçante (Gervais Lessard)
La Marche du siffleur (Alfred Montmarquette)
Hommage à Marcel Messervier (Don Roy)
Souvenirs musette de Gilles Paré (a tour de force recorded for me by Gaston Nolet on GCF - this is going to be a two-year (or maybe 20-year?)  assignment even once I have transposed it to D)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:55:52 PM by Steve Jones »

kenakordeon

• Regular debater
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2014, 02:29:37 AM »

Just returned from a great québécois music camp last weekend (see News and Events) with the following tunes, theoretically under my belt already, but in reality needing a little or a whole lot of work to make a decent job of them (and retain them in memory). (How are you doing with them, Ken?)

Reel à Oscar (Oscar Morin)
Le Galope des folkloristes (by the above-mentioned Guy Loyer)
Reel du château (Sabin Jacques)
The Manitoba Golden Boy (Andy De Jarlis)
La Berçante (Gervais Lessard)
La Marche du siffleur (Alfred Montmarquette)
Hommage à Marcel Messervier (Don Roy)
Souvenirs musette de Gilles Paré (a tour de force recorded for me by Gaston Nolet on GCF - this is going to be a two-year (or maybe 20-year?)  assignment even once I have transposed it to D)

Reel a Oscar--yes
La Galope des Folkloristes--yes
Reel du Chateau--I wasn't in this session when he taught it.  (Is there a recording somewhere?)
The Manitoba Golden Boy--almost there
La Bercante--haven't played it since the camp.
La Marche du siffleur--I don't remember him teaching this (after all, it was last week!) but there was one session where he did play through a number of tunes.  I may have missed this one.
Hommage a Marcel Messevier--give me a few more months.  A neat tune!
Souvenirs musette de Gilles Pare--I didn't hear Gaston play it but you are lucky to have had a private session with him.  I'll look for a recording (maybe on one of his cd's?)

On the plus side, Jean Duval gave me a tune (I had asked him a year ago for any "accordeon-specific" tunes)  he had composed but, I'm assuming, never recorded.  I learned it, worked it out, recorded this evening and, courageously, sent him the recording. I'm hoping he'll listen with an open mind and excuse my non-Quebecois accordeon-style.

yes, it was a great camp and I am anxious for next year's.

Besides all those above, I am learning tunes composed by local fiddler Daniel Boucher. He's giving me a good challenge of learning a slew of G tunes to be played on the D Bouchard accordeon. Doable, with thought and practice.  And, then there is the Am tune he composed when I absolutely must play the D/C#.

And, while I have your attention, I also am learning tunes by the Gaspe fiddler Erskine Morris, thanks to the encouragement of fiddler Martin Aucoin.

Ken

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2014, 08:26:33 AM »

• "Golden Glove", "Little Pot Stove", and "7 Gypsies" in Bb
  • Moving "Nobody loves a down and out" into same key
  • Ralph McTell's "Gypsy" in A (mixolydian)
  • "Shores of old Blighty" and ""Dark Girl dressed in Blue" in G 

All to suit my singing range as much as to get the right chording. :|glug

Oh, pity, pity the poor baritone,
   Crooning out his monotonous drone
   Alone and uncared for  through life he must go
   For he can't quite sing high ::)  and he can't quite sing low :-\
  _       _    _      _ 

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2014, 02:07:28 PM »

Reel du Chateau--I wasn't in this session when he taught it.  (Is there a recording somewhere?)

This is one of Sabin's tunes, composed in France when he was teaching at some château or other a few years ago. Great tune with a twisty third part.

Souvenirs musette de Gilles Pare--I didn't hear Gaston play it but you are lucky to have had a private session with him.  I'll look for a recording (maybe on one of his cd's?)

It's on the CD Accordéonistes du Québec (which I believe is once again available if you didn't get a copy of the first printing) as "Valse souvenir". Gilles Paré was the player he knew as a child, the one he was telling us about - fond of a drop and often invited to the house by Gaston's party-loving father.

robotmay

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2014, 02:28:21 PM »

I keep coming back to South Downs, trying to get it closer to how Jim Harding played it as it's such a lovely tune. I can't quite match the tone of his concertina, as in parts it has a sorta "sad longing" feel, but I think I'm getting closer and it can take a few interesting chords. Hopefully I'll be able to keep a slow and steady tempo if I play it at the Adderbury folk club tonight :||:

Roger Howard

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2014, 03:23:15 PM »

Stephane Delicq's "Septembre", of course.

Roger :||:
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

robotmay

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2014, 01:51:04 PM »

I'm pretty happy with how South Downs is sounding now, so I've moved on to relearning The Abbess, in the hopes that 6 months since I first tried it I might finally be able to do it vaguely right :D

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2014, 07:13:37 PM »

Has anyone here had tune blocks?
i.e. I know a tune, have worked out the chords, how I want to play it etc. and with the dots in front of me I can play it.
I then adopt my usual approach to me learning - getting it fluent; look away from the dots and taking more and more time looking away from the music and trying to remember.
I find a couple of tunes simply just don't sink in. I'm revisting them again after a long while, and giving them another go for the umpteenth time, but......
Is it just me?
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2014, 07:17:06 PM »

Has anyone here had tune blocks?
i.e. I know a tune, have worked out the chords, how I want to play it etc. and with the dots in front of me I can play it.
I then adopt my usual approach to me learning - getting it fluent; look away from the dots and taking more and more time looking away from the music and trying to remember.
I find a couple of tunes simply just don't sink in. I'm revisting them again after a long while, and giving them another go for the umpteenth time, but......
Is it just me?
Q

Nope - still can't play Jump at the Sun plus a list of others, but there are millions of other tunes to play so I don't let it worry me  ;)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2014, 08:49:22 PM »

Thanks Lester, that's reassuring.
Yes there are tons of other ones to learn, I suppose it just irks me that some don't stick!
I will persevere..... But keep your comment in mind  (:)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2014, 10:14:10 AM »

Not much help to this thread, as I haven't noted the  names of several of the tunes. The letters are typable tune memos: indicating do, re, mi,  etc, with capitals for the one-beat notes and lower case for the half-beat notes;commas/primes  indicate octave lower/higher than home.

A scottish from Komred       Emin:     drmd  L,_  / drmd S _
A jig from Snaarmaarvaar ( E min:  d'td' / SfMf / SdRm/ FmRd / S
Pecher les Angouilles  (Rond de St Vincent)
Gavotte?  (Amin 6/8: F-  mrd Rt,S,-/  S,t,Rm D)
Scottish Ebroichienne  from Mr Klof  (Am swung    D M S _  /fmfs M rd/ M -r dt,dm/ rdt,d R )
Mazurka a Robert    ( swung     f#s / M S f#s / M S rm /
Sunshine from  Gregory  Jolivet (G major:   M' r'd' S - l/~lffm)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2014, 05:39:38 PM »

oooh, Pecher les Angouilles Eel fishing, is a cracker! Just flows on the box.

I'm looking at a "different" sunshine, but not started it yet. Yellow Gypsies when down well in Wakefield though, even got a "not bad" from a retired York >:Eshireman ;D
  _       _    _      _ 

george garside

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »

I find that sometimes making up words for a tune ( daft, improper or whatever)  can be useful, if all else fails, to get it into the memory.  Similarly  I  often find it easier to  'learn' tunes that already have words to them.

For tunes with an A part and B part or verse & chorus  it can be easier to 'learn the 2 parts  as separate tunes rather than trying to tackle the whole thing at once

If all else fails  just forget about it and leave  it to fester in the brain reason !  For some strange reason  it will sometimes come down the arm all by itself a few weeks later!

george

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

robotmay

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2014, 11:11:58 AM »

Got a bunch of CDs for my birthday, so my 'to learn' list has increased dramatically!
Finally got Knock John by Chris Wood/Andy Cutting and there's quite a few tunes on there I'm going to start working on:

• Attingham Waltz
  • Country Gardens (not sure why I haven't learnt this already anyway)
  • Charlie's March
  • Paddy Carey's/The Spirit of the Dance

When I eventually learn to sing in tune I'll get around to learning some of the songs too :o

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2014, 11:32:48 AM »

...Finally got Knock John by Chris Wood/Andy Cutting and there's quite a few tunes on there I'm going to start working on...

That reminds me I've got 'North Downs Way' on my to learn list and I'd forgotten all about it. Just when I thought it was all going well....

I've also got Mr Moore's Hornpipe and Herbert the Sherbet at the top of the list as well as improving my playing of William and Nancy for this months ToTM.

Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal