Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adjust wrist strap  (Read 2653 times)

Yogibear

• New Starter
Adjust wrist strap
« on: July 31, 2014, 05:56:05 PM »

Hello. As a new player of the melodeon I am still a one handed player. However the person teaching me is talking about using the second hand to press buttons as well as push and pull. My problem is that the wrist strap will not adjust tight enough, I have had a look inside and its beyond my ability. Can anybody recommend somebody in the South Devon area that could fix it for me.

Thanks.

Sebastian

Re: Adjust wrist strap
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 07:25:32 PM »

You could try to stuff a towel (or a cushion) between your wrist and the strap. There are some pictures in the web showing players to use this work-around.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 07:44:13 PM »

Better if we know what model box you're learning on.

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 09:01:25 PM »

Try arching your hand against the end of the melodeon and the strap. That will also give you a better position and more control. Look at my videos on YouTube (search for Pikeyh) to see what I mean.

Cheers

Pikey.
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 10:48:08 PM »

If you can make it to South Zeal for about 10-ish on the Sunday of the Dartmoor Folk Festival, or to any of the King's Arms daytime sessions, there will be numerous box players around.
I'll be there for the festival, might not be able to sort your problem but could have a look and a chat.

Send me a personal message (PM) if you think you can make it.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 10:51:58 PM »

Alternatively come to the Sailing Club in Sidmouth next Tuesday pm, when there will be quite a few if us who can have a look for you.
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:59:20 PM »

Or as well, of course  ;D
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 12:24:16 AM »

It might help to know what sort of box you are playing  - does it have an adjustable bass strap and if so it is a buckle/velcro/rotella fitting?

Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

t-tone

• S. Devon, Sandpiper D/G
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 08:14:58 AM »

Specific to South Devon, you could perhaps try talking to Nigel Sture Concertinas in Frogmore or Accordions South West in Totnes. Google brings up some details, but I have no direct experience of either. As far as I know there is nobody advertising melodeon-specific repairs locally. The trade stands in the Blackmore Gardens at Sidmouth next week might be another option.

Personally, I use a beer towel secured with a clothes peg. You might want to consider this or similar while you establish how tight you want the strap to go (and that might change as you get more proficient)

Tony
Practice, even when success looks hopeless. The left hand, inept in other respects for lack of practice, can grasp the reins more firmly than the right, because here it has had practice (M. Aurelius)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 08:36:01 AM »

My problem is that the wrist strap will not adjust tight enough, I have had a look inside and its beyond my ability.
It might help to know what sort of box you are playing  - does it have an adjustable bass strap and if so it is a buckle/velcro/rotella fitting?
If your instrument doesn't have any sort of adjusting feature for the LH strap such as Helena describes, then it is likely to be secured to the casework of the instrument by a couple of screws at each end of the strap. The Hohner Pokerwork and Erica, and similar models have this arrangement. In this case it is relatively easy to adjust the strap tension by (a) removing the screws on the underneath end of the strap (for neatness' sake); then (b) make a couple of new holes in the leather strap in the required place using a bodkin, nail, or similar sharp pointy thing; and (c) refixing the screws through the new holes in the strap. You don't need to open up the instrument to do this.

In the case of a buckle adjuster, simply make a new hole in the strap for the buckle point to go through. A velcro adjuster ought to be able to be tightened up sufficiently for even the smallest hands. A rotella nut adjuster might not pull in the strap sufficiently even at the tightest setting. In this case, you might need to shorten the strap a little bit at the opposite end to the adjuster. The strap is usually secured to the body of the instrument by a couple of screws passing through a brass or chrome plate. Unscrew the plate, make new holes in the end of the strap and resecure the plate. You may need to cut off any excess length from the end of the strap in order to refix the plate snugly.  Again - you should not need to open up the instrument to make any of these alterations.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:31:59 AM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »

Some good suggestions given.  If you're willing to make a little investment, I'd suggest that once you find someone to wield the screwdriver, get them to fit a replacement velcro adjusted strap from CGM.  You can then let others play your box without wrenching the strap off and can adjust to suit conditions ( I find straps feel tighter in warm weather).

Rob.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 04:02:38 PM »

( I find straps feel tighter in warm weather).

Rob.

Hey, what you do in the privacy of your own home......   ;)
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 12:56:46 AM »

Hey, what you do in the privacy of your own home......   ;)

Yes, fine - but it's better not to be wriggling in discomfort when playing out!  Just don't get me onto the subject of backstraps - a necessary evil.

Rob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal