Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon Playgroup 2015! And counting...  (Read 14247 times)

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
Re: Melodeon Playgroup 2014?
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 10:49:36 AM »

Hi Vicky,

I chickened out of going to Witney last year and went to playgroup instead. In hindsight that was a bit silly of me as in my experience melodeon players are an overwhelmingly helpful bunch and I have had nothing but support and encouragement at all the events (workshops, sessions, festivals etc.)

This year I am going to Witney like a big grown up person but will also probably go along to playgroup as well.  As Malcolm points out it is a good social event and does wonders for your ability to play comfortably in front of others - especially useful if you're not quite up to playing in sessions yet.  The Fleece is a great venue too and well worth a visit.

Helena
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

heartshaped1

• Good talker
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 05:49:29 PM »

Thanks all for the advice (and Steve for the pm), playgroup sounds like a great way for me to come out of the melodeon closet (or at least the spare room), I'll watch this space!!!
G/C/Acc VanDerAa, D/G/Acc Hohner Lucia, D/G Pariselle, D/G Castagnari Mory, G/C Castagnari Lilium, C/F Hohner Club I, D/G Hohner Pokerwork

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
    • Mel Biggs Music | Melodeon Teacher
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 03:18:04 PM »

It was lovely last year to be able to run my first workshop - even if it was rather last minute with poor Lester going ill! But seriously I loved it and would welcome the opportunity to run other workshops again this year, should I be needed. For either toddlers or big kids :)

Mel
Castagnari Trilly DG and GC, Castagnari Tommy DG all by Acorn Instruments,
Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb and Hohner Student 1 C/F conversion set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/puap

Mel Biggs Musician | Melodeon Teacher
www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 05:51:44 PM »

That sounds good, Mel. I would like that!
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Six Stars

• Good talker
  • Narrowboats and melodeons - what more can I need?
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 09:13:09 AM »

We are halfway through September, the historic boat festivals have now largely finished for the year, and I'm wondering if anything will be happening with Playgroup this year?

No-one seems to have put anything up on the Facebook group for a while. I'd love to do this again, is anyone likely to be taking this on? I'm not really in a position to do any organising unfortunately, but I'd like to support it.

malcolmbebb

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 05:50:15 PM »

Lester and Mel have expressed an interest in the box and tunes sides, respectively, although that might not be up to date now. Penny was willing to support with organising, but her access to Melnet has been limited.
I might be able to assist with hire of the facilities, if Penny can't manage it this year. I would like it to happen.

It would be helpful to have a refresh of how many are interested. Some of the big kids are signed up to Witney, so will at best be part-time.

Maybe someone could ask Dunny to check hall availability?
Dino BPII.

malcolmbebb

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 05:52:26 PM »

Following my above post, would anyone interested in a possible playgroup event please put their hand up to give a feel for numbers?

Ta

Malcolm
Dino BPII.

DavidH

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2014, 07:52:46 PM »

My wife and I would be interested, after having to pull out at the last minute last year. I'm less of an absolute beginner this year, but still very much on the kindergarten end of the scale!

summerstars

• Respected Sage
    • UK Surnames Genealogy Contact Site
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2014, 07:56:39 PM »

I might be interested in coming along to help - depending on dates

Malcolm
Dino Binci D/G, Sandpiper 3v D/G, Sandpiper C/F, Hohner Bb/Eb, Pariselle 1 Row in D, Streb

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2014, 07:57:11 PM »

Just a suggestion:

The previous Playgroup weekends have always been close to Melodeons at Witney (mid-November). Not quite a clash, but not far off.
How about having the Playgroup towards the middle or end of February? It's usually a slack time of year in the melodeon calendar (if not most people's) so it would be a good time to have it, before the EATMT Melodeons and More kicks off the springtime events at the end of March.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 08:10:30 PM »

Just a suggestion:

The previous Playgroup weekends have always been close to Melodeons at Witney (mid-November). Not quite a clash, but not far off.
How about having the Playgroup towards the middle or end of February? It's usually a slack time of year in the melodeon calendar (if not most people's) so it would be a good time to have it, before the EATMT Melodeons and More kicks off the springtime events at the end of March.

The playgroup is more aimed at people who probably would find M@W too advanced. It is more a mutual support thing for very early in their career players, albeit with previous alumni now doing more advanced stuff in the bar. So its proximity to M@W is not really a problem in my mind.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 08:21:22 PM »

Certainly when it started I think Playgroup was envisaged as an alternative for those not yet ready for Witney but with more of the original crowd 'graduating' to Witney but still wanting to come to playgroup for the social side and the sessions the close dates might put people off.  From this perspective I can see the merits of holding it in February. 

I'll probably turn up either way for  (:):|||::|glug and maybe even a spot of   :M

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:44:48 PM by Helena »
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 09:41:51 PM »

I'm up for it. Anytime between the end of November and February is fine. I'm a "toddler"!

Choonz

• Good talker
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 10:20:32 PM »

I think I am probably in the 'not yet ready for Whitney' category.  I would like to come along! November would suit me best if possible.

Andymcmill37

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2014, 10:48:58 PM »

I would be interested in Playgroup, would probably favour a February date if poss. Andy

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Are you ready for Melodeons at Witney?
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 11:39:30 PM »

For the people who have never been to Melodeons at Witney and who may be feeling uncertain about whether they are 'good enough' to go...

Can you play a tune such as Speed the Plough, Davy Knick Knack or Shepherd's Hey, for example, at a reasonably steady tempo, with or without LH basses/chords? Yes? Then you are ready to go to MAW and join in the 'B' (for Basic or Beginners) level workshops. Trust me, you will be fine and will get a lot of benefit from the workshops and tutors, and there is also a fantastic free evening concert on the Saturday.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

voyager

• (DOG) Doddering Old G*t
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2014, 12:30:58 PM »

I would like to join the toddler's, I play an English Concertina, but have caught the MAD I would be able to attend either November or February and hopefully learn how to play it.
Will keep watching till you decide on the dates and Venue and any hotels nearby TOO OLD to camp.

Regards  Dave
I'm NOT OLD just suffer receding youth

DavidH

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2014, 11:16:50 PM »

November would be much better for me, as our first child is due to be born in March and february will be getting extremely close!

suparrott

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2014, 08:42:05 PM »

I really enjoyed last year's Play Group and would love to go again!

Unfortunately November is a tad busy at the end - so another date might be better - but if it's arranged for November I'd do my best to attend.

Suzanne

JayJay

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2014, 08:48:27 PM »

Any time Nov - March is good!
Got to accept that camping will be a bit chilly but we survived the frost last year! Looking forward to it whenever it happens.  (:)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal